Windows 7

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Windows 7

Post by jewel »

Just got a new PC with windows 7....phenomonal!! Seem really fast and slick...once we got the broadband downloaded finally!! Has anyone else had experience of this new system yet? :)

I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

marvin-carrie
United Kingdom

Post by marvin-carrie »

I have been using 7 for the last six months very good lots of new features will run your old programs without any bother just tell it which version to use. Starts quicker using less resources and good for the small laptops

Marvin
Bulldog

Post by Bulldog »

I'm waiting for Windows 7 to come out in three weeks before buying a new laptop, as in the UK it,s not yet Available. I currently use Vista which drives me nuts,:?:?
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Windows 7 does not come out for release in the UK until October 22nd although Beta versions will be about.
Bulldog, just make sure that if you buy one before that date that the supplier is offering the free upgrade from Vista to Windows 7, most suppliers are aware that people will be waiting, so they are all offering this upgrade for free to maintain sales. Just make sure that it has Vista Premium or Professional as the installed operating system in order to qualify, some do not offer the upgrade with Vista Basic.
There are some good deals out there at the moment as they are trying to get rid of existing stocks with the pre-loaded Vista, I will probably avail myself of one of them in the morning :)
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Just installed Windows 7 Ultimate and it seems ok, PC is running fast, I did a fresh install since i had to buy another hard drive after my other one was corrupt so bad after yet another electric problem here in Luxor. got a UPS coming on saturday.

All my programs and hardware work ok, only 1 fault so far is that the wireless connection does not show any internet connectivity, i like the blue flashing lights with XP so i knew if a page was loading or my downloads were still going.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

It seems there is no upgrade path from XP, only from Vista. Now that is a bummer because the full version is more than double the upgrade price!!

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
jewel
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by jewel »

I just got a friend from Manchester who is in the business to do mine - he put it on the mainframe and its great!! No problems at all - still got windows XP on the laptop :oops:
I don't have a plan......so nothing can go wrong!

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

I have installed on my pcs and its working very well. You need to do a fresh instal onto an empty drive as recommended.
R
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

The interesting thing about this new Windows 7 is the clean install or upgrade options.

If you purchase a retail version, then it ships with both 32 & 64 bit options.
If you buy the OEM upgrade, then you have to specify the version you are using i.e. 32 or 64 bit, you don’t get both.

Microsoft have been offering a ‘Free’ upgrade to Windows 7 for all purchasers of new computers with a Vista Home Premium or above operating system installed and purchased between June 2009 until the end of the year. (applies to UK) Vista Home Basic is not eligible for the free upgrade.
You have to pay the handling charge for the ‘Free’ upgrade of £12.76 (or at least mine was) which will be sent to you sometime after the October 22nd release date in the UK. (still waiting and the postal strike is not helping matters)

Now here is a question, most new laptops recently sold in the UK have been promoted as having 4 Gigs of memory, excellent, but when you ask what version of Vista they have pre-installed it is usually the 32 bit version. Fair enough, but 32 bit can only effectively allocate 2 Gigs of memory to any application, so logic must surely say that when people upgrade their current ‘Vista’ to ‘Windows 7’ a lot of users would like to install the 64 bit version as this can allocate 4 Gig of memory to an application.

However, when you register online for your ‘Free’ upgrade you are asked which version you would like and if you say 64 bit you are told that it does not match the version on your computer!

Upgrades do not do a clean install option and 64 bit upgrades will not upgrade a 32 OEM bit version.

OK, I accept that most user will not really have a problem with this, unless like myself they use CAD programs, but it is worth knowing about, as in the future the 64 bit option will almost certainly become a requirement.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

BBLUX wrote:It seems there is no upgrade path from XP, only from Vista. Now that is a bummer because the full version is more than double the upgrade price!!
The version I installed give me a choice to upgrade or do a fresh install (i had windows XP before)