Windows 11

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Windows 11

Post by John Landon »

I built a high specification PC about 7 years ago, and installed Windows 7, and stuck with that operating system though Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, a although I did try those operating systems, I did not like them, due to the interface being something Fisher Price could have designed for a 4 year old, Plus there were lots of bugs in the early days.
I found my PC just didn't run as well on any of the aforementioned later operating systems.

I recently adopted Windows 11, which because my licence was for Windows 7 Professional, it entitled me to have Windows 10 as a free upgrade, it then transpires that I can also have Windows 11 on the same licence.
(the Licence is activated from your product key, and your hardware signature for your PC and Laptop is registered with Microsoft, so when you install Windows 11, be it an upgrade or Virgin install, you don't need a licence key, as once you are connected to the Internet, Windows 11 will activate itself, as it will recognise your hardware signature )

I have to say, that I do like Windows 11, its very user friendly, and is much faster than Windows 7 was.
My experience with Windows 11 has been good so far, even the gaming is better. and I didnt need to supply a single driver for my hardware, as Windows supplied them all.

My PC was incompatible with Windows 11 on some minor points, but that is a major blocker when you try to install it, as it just wont allow you to install on what Microsoft consider incompatible hardware.
But having delved into the compatibility issues, they are mostly hardware security concerns.

I really like this Operating System, and everything runs just fine. There is some fettling to do to stop some of the nagging features, but all in all my PC experience is much better.

So for those of you who may be interested, in order to Install Windows 11 on "incompatible hardware", here is what you need to do.

First off, download this Bootable "media creation tool" from Microsoft and install it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... c3b507420d

This tool will allow you to create a Bootable USB stick from a Windows ISO image.

Download the Windows 10 ISO File from Microsoft ( about 5 GB in size )
Download the Windows 11 ISO File from Microsoft ( about 5 GB in size )

For Info.. Its relevant later.
If you already have Windows 10, then you will be able to click on these ISO files once you have saved them and the contents can be viewed. When mounted in Windows, they will appear as DVD Drives..
Or you can use 7Zip to view inside these ISO files without mounting them..

Now, find a USB stick with at least 8GB of space, ( this will be wiped clean when you create the bootable media to install Windows 11. )

use the Media Creation tool to target the Windows 10 ISO you downloaded and create the bootable media from that.
This process takes about 20 mins in total, and remember the contents of your USB stick will be erased for ever !

Once complete, explore the USB stick, and there you will see several files and directories.
Locate the "Sources" directory, and in there you will find a large file named "install.wim"
Delete this file.

Now go to your Windows 11 ISO file you saved earlier and open it.
Then locate that same file ( install.wim) in the "sources" folder and copy it into the Sources folder on the USB stick.
this will take about 5 mins to copy the file to that location.
Once complete, you now have a "Windows 11" Bootable installation media drive. !!

You can then boot up from that USB stick, and install Windows 11.
I recommend a VIRGIN install, that is, you wipe your hard drive clean of the old Operating System and your programs and personal files, and start from fresh. But you can just upgrade if you prefer not to loose all that info, if its not backed up.

IF you prefer to Upgrade your existing Operating system and keep all your files and programs, then you can just run the SETUP file inside the Windows USB stick you created while you are logged into your existing operating system.

In both scenarios, it may appear as you run the installer that you are installing Windows 10, but that's OK, you are infact installing Windows 11, and by passing the security checks.

Anyhow, hope that helps anyone thinking of taking the plunge.

The only negative I have heard about Windows 11, is that on some AMD CPU's, there was a slight stuttering issue, but its not a common problem, and it was supposedly patched in a recent Windows update..

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Windows 11

Post by Who2 »

Mac man myself.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:55 pm Mac man myself.... 8)
I have no difficulty in switching on my iPad….after that, I’m in God’s hands.

PS….probably explains why I didn’t get beyond first line of JL’s post. No point in reading, or commenting on, something you know absolutely nothing about. :a6:
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

Thanks for your very informative post John.
We replaced both our 5 year old laptops at the end of last year. Both fairly decent spec HP's which are Win 10 but ready for Win 11. My usual reluctance to new OS versions has prevented me upgrading as yet but now I will give it some considered thought once we are back Home in France :)

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Thank you John Landon. My present laptop is only just over a year old and on Windows 10 but I do seem to be getting more and more 'hints' to use to transfer to Windows 11. I've resisted so far but I'm sure they will force me to change eventually.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:33 pm Thank you John Landon. My present laptop is only just over a year old and on Windows 10 but I do seem to be getting more and more 'hints' to use to transfer to Windows 11. I've resisted so far but I'm sure they will force me to change eventually.
No they wont Hepzibah, :up as Windows 10 is staying in support until at least 2025.
I would highly recommend the latest service pack that is available for Windows 10 which you can get through Windows Update. Version 20H2.

The reason why Windows 10 will stay in support, is because many computers out there are not comapitble with Windows 11 at present. But they can run it quite easily with this fix..

Basically the bones of Windows 11 is really Windows 10 Version 20H2, with a new look to it, and extra hardware support.

For you Mac users, MAC OS 12 was released in October last year. 8)
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Thanks John Landon. You know what a Luddite I am when it comes to such things.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

:lol: Well, I am finding that as these Operating Systems evolve, its making it a lot easier for the users, myself included.

Back in the day, you would have to load up the operating system, then spend an age installing all the necessary drivers to make your hardware work properly, then install all your programs etc..

With this Windows 11 install, I just loaded it from the USB pen, and eveything just worked out of the box.

If you want to run something or need help, just click on the magnifying glass icon and type in what you want to find or do, and a list of relevant options comes up.
Its a lot like the Mac OS now, or Linux GUI interface, so simplicity itself.. Its faster for me as a techy to use that option too, rather than having to navigate complex sequences to get to where I want to be.. :wi
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Just a quick thank you from a member of my family who is also a bit of a 'wiz-kid' like yourself and is grateful for your above info.

He believes there would be quite a good job available for you up in the City, though I told him you would have 'burn't' your-self out by now or would have end up on 'coke' like quite a few I've come across up there in the past. - life I'm sure is much better in the old sheep lands in Wales.

For myself, most of this sort of thing has passed me by, though I do believe that the old i-pod was the greatest thing ever, in those early days you could down load all your music and films for free (pirate), which was wonderful with a docking-station, when I lived in the desert lands of the Middle East. I understand these days you have to pay Spotify etc. Oh yes, and I kept all my old LP's and CD's. I don't believe in 'clouds', if I've paid for it, I want to hold it, it's mine. In days gone past, you made your money through the loop-holes in the law, and the same applied with down-loading. Today, you pay for everything that you down load, but do you really own it ?