Hatshepsut obelisk re-erected

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Hatshepsut obelisk re-erected

Post by newcastle »

Apparently the top part of the Hatshepsut obelisk, lying on its side nearvthe sacred lake at Karnak Temple, has been restored and re-erected.

https://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsConten ... pjNDrH28AE
FF888889-5B49-41F2-9494-078FE37D7B88.jpeg
Not sure why. Seems a bit odd erecting what is, presumably, only the top section of an obelisk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Re: Hatshepsut obelisk re-erected

Post by Yildez »

newcastle wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:18 am Apparently the top part of the Hatshepsut obelisk, lying on its side nearvthe sacred lake at Karnak Temple, has been restored and re-erected.

https://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsConten ... pjNDrH28AE

FF888889-5B49-41F2-9494-078FE37D7B88.jpeg

Not sure why. Seems a bit odd erecting what is, presumably, only the top section of an obelisk.
My thoughts exactly!! :tk
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Many years ago I checked the locations of the obelisks original positions outside Hatshepsut temple and the ones at Karnak temple and they lived up perfectly on Google earth. Assuming we are talking about the same ones.
Line if sight from the ground is nigh on impossible this day and age, even with binoculars or one of Stan's Uber powerful camera lenses.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

John Landon wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:50 am Many years ago I checked the locations of the obelisks original positions outside Hatshepsut temple and the ones at Karnak temple and they lived up perfectly on Google earth. Assuming we are talking about the same ones.
Line if sight from the ground is nigh on impossible this day and age, even with binoculars or one of Stan's Uber powerful camera lenses.
Not sure what you’re on about here. What “ original positions” do you mean?

If there were any obelisks at Hatshepsut’s temple ( deir el bahari) there’s no trace of them now.

She erected two monsters at Karnak, one still standing, the other fallen during an ancient earthquake of which only the top section remains . Previously, this lay on its side near sacred lake.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Talking of Stan, check out his massive photo collection on FB.
https://www.facebook.com/stan.kurowski.3/photos

I bet you will find old pictures of what you discuss, it's a stunning collection.... 8)

Here's a couple of Stans' He fancied Sim, they had the same make of camera's..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

John Landon wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:50 am Many years ago I checked the locations of the obelisks original positions outside Hatshepsut temple and the ones at Karnak temple and they lived up perfectly on Google earth. Assuming we are talking about the same ones.
I'm not sure here John but, I think you may be referring to what some people call the 'Avenues' or as I prefer to call causeways that do certainly line up exactly from this festival temple of Hatshepsut to Karnack.

Part of one of these such causeways had a little restoration done around 1980's, it carefully shows the original construction, but also reveals that at a later period tombs were added at this area either side of the causeway that was part of the procession route, especially for such annual events as the Festival of the Valley.

Years ago it was quite easy to simply walk over this area, though tourist did not, most being afraid of the free roaming dogs owned by people who live there. Today it is not easy at all to wander around this or for that matter most of the once open lands of the WB, as I'm sure most ex-pat residents will agree.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Silly me, I had a recheck, and remebered that it want blinking Obelisks that lined up, but the Karnak and Hapshetsut temple entrances. Difficult to see, but can be seen on Google earth.
Maybe in Ancinet times there was a road or path between the 2 ?

Sorry to hear of Newcastles passing, I enjoyed his / her posts. RIP..
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Yes of course there was a causeway John, infact for part of the route there was two sub causeways built towards the end of the 20th Dynasty, that were either side of the main one. I believe these were erected to accommodate tombs who would have paid a premium to be there. There is a valley not far from Carter House that looks directly over to Karnack. Early in the last century the British thought there would be wealthy tombs there, for the reason I have written, and they were right. In fact, high in this valley was buried one of the kings.

Remember also that during the 19th/20th Dynasty a canal was built, part of which past the SETI temple in the distance that connected to the river, then directly across to the very gate of Karnack Temple itself.

I notice that you may visit Luxor in February, so God willing, I will give you further help with your study then, if you require it.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Thank you again A-Four. I am hopeful for a return to Luxor,
I have often said that this area must have in the past had a lot more water around it than we see today, canals, irrigation channels, water caches, wells, and probably a form of sewerage system It must have been a marvel to behold.

Recently we have been travelling to the likes of Tunisia and Morocco for our first holiday of the year, as there is so much to see out there as well. But now the disneyfication and conversion of Luxor into an open air museum is complete, it seems rather sad that I will never enjoy Luxor like I used to. I can see why many have left. Now it seems to be a place where the old folk go to winter, and it no place for someone like me who had free roam of both sides of the NIle at one time.
But this seems to happen as the favoured nations influence or occupy the places that once hosted the long lost great civilisations of our distant past, and the secrets they held.