Egypt announces new travel restrictions at airports, entry points amid pandemic

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egypt announces new travel restrictions at airports, entry points amid pandemic

Post by DJKeefy »

Egypt has announced new coronavirus-related restrictions at airports, seaports and land crossings, with the country witnessing a significant surge in daily infections and reporting the highly infectious Omicron as the dominant variant currently.

Starting 22 January, Egyptian and foreign travelers to Egypt, except children below the age of 12, will require certificates of coronavirus vaccination or negative results of coronavirus tests, Acting Health Minister Khaled Abdel-Ghaffar said in a statement on Thursday.

Coronavirus tests have to be taken within 72 hours of arrival to the Egyptian ports.

A vaccination certificate has to show that the traveler had received the single-dose vaccine or the last dose of the two-shot vaccines at least 14 days before arrival, Abdel-Ghaffar noted.

Travelers will also have to show they took vaccines approved by the World Health Organisation or the Egyptian Drug Authority (EDA), Abdel-Ghaffar said.

The EDA has granted emergency approval for all the coronavirus vaccines of Sinopharm, Sinovac, AstraZeneca, Sputnik V, Moderna, Pfizer, and Johnson & Johnson.

If travelers are not vaccinated, they must present a negative coronavirus test from among those accredited by the Egyptian health ministry, which are PCR test or Antigen Rapid Test or ID Now test.

However, the country will not accept ID NOW COVID-19 tests from travelers coming from South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Namibia, Lesotho, Zimbabwe and Eswatini, the minister noted.

Several countries halted travel from these countries in southern Africa, where Omicron was first reported. In December, Egypt’s flag carrier EgyptAir announced resuming flights to Johannesburg, South Africa, only two weeks after they were suspended. Egypt also announced toughening coronavirus measures in November for travelers from the aforementioned countries.

Travelers whose coronavirus tests or vaccine certificates do not conform to the established standards will have to take antigen rapid tests, Head of the Preventive Medicine Department of the health ministry Amr Qandil said on Thursday.

In case a traveler tests positive for coronavirus, they would have to self-quarantine at their hotel or residence for five days. On the sixth day, they would undergo a PCR test and will be allowed to end the quarantine in case they test negative and show no symptoms of illness.

In the event of testing positive, they will have to quarantine for another five days and leave quarantine on the sixth day without having to take another test.

Source: https://english.ahram.org.eg/News/456692

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Egypt announces new travel restrictions at airports, entry points amid pandemic

Post by A-Four »

Just a quick up-date on recent developments with the Omicron varient both in the U.K. and Egypt.

As I pointed out back in October last year, the full effect of this varient would not come into force until Christmas and the new year, and although the British government are now suggesting we should all go back to work and that face-masks will become a thing of the past, I shall be more cautious. Although infection rate are falling, there seems to be little regard as to why the daily death figures remain stubbornly high. I am somewhat curious as to why the media, such as B.B.C., are putting the latest findings on 'the back burner'. At the start of this year a new strain was discovered in the U.K., at that time there were 400 case, although not given a name yet, it goes by the code B.A.2., little is known yet whether present vaccines are effective. I would be a little more cautious than what government official are suggesting here.

A rather strange bit of news out of Egypt last week with regards to the Astra-Zeneca new pill rather than vaccine, known as Evusheld. According to Mr Tag El Din, senior health adviser to the government there, the authorities will be setting up fourteen Egyptian companies who will manufacture the Covid 19 drug, BUT, will neither mention in its accompanying information details the name Astra-Zeneca or the name Evusheld.

Who knows, maybe to ensure the take up rate there would be greater than the present Covid vaccine, if they simply call it New Tramadol.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Egypt announces new travel restrictions at airports, entry points amid pandemic

Post by newcastle »

@A-Four

At the risk of stating the bleedin’ obvious….the daily death rate has plateaued simply because, although the omicron variant is a lot less serious in its effects , it’s far more transmissible meaning a huge rise in infections…..the one factor cancelling out the other .

Hardly rocket science. :urm:
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

A-Four wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:46 pm I am somewhat curious as to why the media, such as B.B.C., are putting the latest findings on 'the back burner'. At the start of this year a new strain was discovered in the U.K., at that time there were 400 case, although not given a name yet, it goes by the code B.A.2., little is known yet whether present vaccines are effective. I would be a little more cautious than what government official are suggesting here.
Yesterday, at 18-20 hrs (GMT), the health editor Hugh Pym, on B.B.C. World News gave the first ever mention of the new covid varient B.A.2., he also informed us that there are one thousand case known in the U.K., and as of yet it is still to be determined how serious this varient is, or even whether the present booster will be effective,.......so I would not get rid of those masks yet, although H.M. Government believe otherwise.

I was surprised to learn through the official state media in Egypt this week that only 0.5% of the population there had received a booster vaccine.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I have yet to speak to our intrepid traveller, sculptor and rock-star ? Nick, fondly known as 'Big-Nose since his return
from foreign lands, about masks and the general awareness of our current pandemic (think! 'all over the World).

He is currently undergoing 10 days isolation here, having encountered a positive covid19 case.
And having thrown his phone at the WB internet installer or was it my liar lawyer.

Personally, I reckon he has encountered loads over in 'egg-wipe and also whilst flying in a metal sardine tin.

But honestly, Egypt is a land of it's own, when there, people rarely cogitate the World's problems.
One reason why I like it over there..

So 'chin up! it won't be over until the whole of this planet is vaccinated, which we all know will never happen!
As I once stated, perhaps it's the planets' way of cutting down on us humans, being honest we have
'shat on our own doorsteps for far to long...

If you disagree try creating a rose..... 8)

Ps: Another great Boris 'porky-pie, it's all over here, no restrictions at all, So...."Go party! "Oh and B.Y.O.B.

Pss: Iv'e just asked Lulu Lytle if she can redesign and redecorate my 'trendy laadan apartment,
She's a mate of Carrie's, that 'dog-lover..16012

P*ss:
Alexander Boris de Pfeffel the clown, does make some pretty disastrous decisions when it comes to him getting
his 'leg-over..and most other decisions,
His Dad has a much better track record with 'wimmin!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

Who2 wrote "His Dad has a much better track record with 'wimmin!"

Cant have been that much better if it resulted in Boris........
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

DJKeefy wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:02 pm Egypt has announced new coronavirus-related restrictions at airports, seaports and land crossings, with the country witnessing a significant surge in daily infections and reporting the highly infectious Omicron as the dominant variant currently.
Up until yesterday Egypt has confirmed that over the past five consecutive days, it has seen a rise of Omicron infections that are greater than at any time since the first coronavirus was first identified back in February 2020.

This statement from the Egyptian health department, seems a little startling, when the government there for over the past six months have been reassuring all who would listen that everything in the garden there is wonderful, although in truth, I never thought so, and am sure most other did not either.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

A-Four wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:46 pm Just a quick up-date on recent developments with the Omicron varient both in the U.K. and Egypt.

As I pointed out back in October last year, the full effect of this varient would not come into force until Christmas and the new year, and although the British government are now suggesting we should all go back to work and that face-masks will become a thing of the past, I shall be more cautious. Although infection rate are falling, there seems to be little regard as to why the daily death figures remain stubbornly high. I am somewhat curious as to why the media, such as B.B.C., are putting the latest findings on 'the back burner'. At the start of this year a new strain was discovered in the U.K., at that time there were 400 case, although not given a name yet, it goes by the code B.A.2., little is known yet whether present vaccines are effective. I would be a little more cautious than what government official are suggesting here.
For what reason I know not but, the B.B.C. and the rest of the media are not keeping people upto date with the seriousness of BA -1 and BA -2, also there is now a new strain which is more serious, it is called BA -2 XE. So far to date there are 600 cases in the U.K.

As I have previously written on here Egypt has vaccinated most of its people with Sinovac, the Chinesse vaccine, unfortunately it gives little or no protection from either of the new variants, inc BA -2 XE.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

s I have previously written on here Egypt has vaccinated most of its people with Sinovac, the Chinesse vaccine, unfortunately it gives little or no protection from either of the new variants, inc BA -2 XE.
So will us good folk who want to visit or stay in Egypt be protected by our own vaccines I wonder.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

crewmeal wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:00 am
s I have previously written on here Egypt has vaccinated most of its people with Sinovac, the Chinesse vaccine, unfortunately it gives little or no protection from either of the new variants, inc BA -2 XE.
So will us good folk who want to visit or stay in Egypt be protected by our own vaccines I wonder.
You’ll be fine …assuming you’re fully vaccinated, boosted etc.

This article tells you all you need to know.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55659820
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Regarding the alarming rate of infections in the UK, the hospitalisations have not increased, so this strain is certainly weaker than the previous ones.

Though with what's happening in China right now, Shanghai in particular, I thank my lucky stars I don't live in a communist country.

As I said a few years ago, some wild and crazy times ahead. Oddly Aunty BBC isnt reporting on these situations happening in the east. Even with the western aligned countries.

But that's the news for you. 🤔
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

John Landon wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:57 am Regarding the alarming rate of infections in the UK, the hospitalisations have not increased, so this strain is certainly weaker than the previous ones.
It is my belief that the serious hospital situations are only being reported on a local level, for instance Portsmouth main general hospital, which even covers the Isle of Wight, last week issued code black on several days including A&E.

Yesterday the U.K. Health Security Agency announced that in only a few days, registered finds of BA -2xe had doubled to over 1,200 cases. Japan has reported it first case of the variant, which was first discovered in the U.K., CDC in the U.S. has also confirmed cases.

While I was out of the U.K., media information is quite active on the subject throughout Europe, though here it seems to be obsessed with 'party-gate',........masks and ventilation in my oppinion are vital, especially now.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I've never fully understood how they discover new varients, or come to have statistics for them. I can only assume that until recently the varients were detected from the PCR tests and also, more significantly, the tests taken from those hospitalised. This leads me to conclude that, with the reduction in people taking RLFT and thus PCR tests, the information is going to be gleaned more from those hospitalised. However, high numbers of the population indicate that they have or recently had Covid, but there is no way to tell what strain it was. There is certainly no way to give even remotely accurate figures on how many people are affected.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I think what we have to understand about the present day NHS is that anyone who is admitted for surgery is fully tested. In years gone by it was HIV, by the year 2000 most hospitals were informing patients for routine surgery if they were HIV positive or not, simply to give operation staff extra protection if required.

Today, anyone admitted to hospital for Covid or otherwise, are tested automatically for what ever new strains of the virus may have mutated. These results are then sent to the new NHS unit, - U.K. Health Security Centre I mentioned above. From there, the likes of Porton Down and Oxford start to look for an appropriate vaccine.

It's very similar to the annual flu vaccine new mutations have to be found no later than late Spring, to be included before the new updated vaccine begins production in early summer. In other words people are still at risk from any new variant discovered that Autumn or Winter.

As Hepzibah concludes above, we should be worried. In my recent travels in London, the South East and South West England few people are wearing masks, much more people travelling and little or no ventilation,.............Happy Easter :wi .