Luxor.

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Luxor.

Post by Who2 »

This should be fun, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10039524/? ... flmg_prd_7

Quote: Style The film looks very nice, it shows the scenery very well and the fact that the film takes place in Egypt gives this film a really nice background for the film. But this film is just incredibly slow and just a bit boring, it is less then 90 minutes but honestly feels at least 2 hours if not longer.

'I mean to say, the new 'Dearth on The Nile isn't even using the Worlds greatest 'backdrop.ffs.
I mean, they are there already they don't have to replicate them & labours dirt cheap.

Any expat extras in it ?.... 8)

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Luxor.

Post by newcastle »

I see your mate Salima got a bit part in “Luxor.”

Doesn’t sound as if it’s worth shlepping to the cinema....unless you’re really missing Luxor ( we know you are :lol: )

I think “Death on the Nile” is due out in October.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

Both films added to my "watch if bored" list.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I hope Kenneth Brannagh's offering of Death on the Nile is more enjoyable than his Murder on the Orient Express.

Brannagh's portrayal of the inimitable Hercule Poirot was a self indulgent mockery of Agatha Christie's Belgium detective. I'm sure it was an excellent technical film, but it did leave a lot to be desired - in my personal opinion.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Well watching the trailer I cannot spot any part of the Nile I recognize.
So I'm looking forward to seeing it ready to point out various mis-locations.

This from the Egyptian Independent: The original movie was directed by John Gillermin in 1978, and was filmed in Egypt over the course of seven weeks between Luxor, Aswan and Cairo with many prominent cultural landmarks at display such as the Pyramids, Sphinx and temples, including Abu Simbel and Karnak.

That must have been fun to have been an extra back in 78, it was fun in 2004, was it not Keefy ?........ 8)
Sophocles.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

Location filming finished in November 2019. Did you not see or hear anything about that Dr?

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Not a sausage not a dickey-bird that's why i'm suspect.
Someone would have said something..
I reckon follow the boat Karnak who built it ? Anyhow all will be revealed soon
hope it's on netflix because downloading here is impossible.
And I don't do Saturday mornings at the ABC anymore..... 8)
Sophocles.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I'm sure there will have been very little shot on location. I dare say the various technical teams have been very busy though - from beginning to end.

No doubt the boat, as with the train on Murder on the Orient Express, will have been made disproportionately large, and most of the scenes, and scenery, will have been computer generated. Soon actors won't need to be there at all.
-Aldous Huxley
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I am sure many on this forum will remember the B.B.C. docudrama set of programs made in 2005, in fact, if I remember quite a few members of this forum were employed as extras. I certainly remember one quite early morning, I was in the Western Valley when suddenly without warning I came across a scene from the day of Tutankhamoun's funeral procession. I honestly believe though, that the greatest surprise was when I looked at the laid on food all set out, at tremendous cost for the crew, actors and extras.

The full set of programs were filmed almost entirely on location, however the problems with the authorities were crazy, pay extra for this, pay extra for that, etc. The production team even had to pay off Egypt's equivalent of Equity, because they could not understand why so few characters were not Egyptian.

By the time all these programs were safely in the 'can' and back in the U.K., I was told that the whole experience had gone massively over budget, adding that it would be a long time before the B.B.C. would be back in Egypt. From what I understood at the time, the over spend was in access of £5 Million.

The usual archeological documentaries made in Egypt these days, are as a rule, not only regurgitated old subject rubbish, but also regurgitated old 'filler' films. The times I have seen the old houses in the West Bank foot hills, yet the program states it was made a couple of years ago.

I would not be surprised if some of the desert scenes in this new regurgitated detective program was filmed on Margate beach,.........or perhaps down the road at Ramsgate, to give it a bit of style,.........what do you say Dr ?
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Rubbish it cost £7 mill but they, Ferdie the director told me they had already pre sold it
world wide for £35 mill.... 8)

"The actor playing Arthur Weigall (uncredited)
We feel was on a par with the great Sir Anthony Hopkins,
'not a solitary spoken word 'a highly moving performance"
The Stage 2005
Spoiler
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:38 pm Rubbish it cost £7 mill but they, Ferdie the director told me they had already pre sold it

"The actor playing Arthur Weigall (uncredited)
We feel was on a par with the great Sir Anthony Hopkins,
'not a solitary spoken word 'a highly moving performance"
The Stage 2005
Spoiler
Think of the money you could make....perhaps have made....offering to shake “the hand”with BBC Egyptology groupies.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Who2 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:38 pm Rubbish it cost £7 mill but they, Ferdie the director told me they had already pre sold it
I can not be certain, though pretty sure you was at the lecture in Luxor given by a director of this work, who went on to show us various models used, etc. Stan and I were at the back of the theatre in our usual seats.

While back in London towards the end of that year, I was invited by a certain curator, to attend a booze up at a B.B.C. venue, to celebrate the making of an Egyptology program, not the one here. I could hardly believe it, it's true what Private Eye always said,.....'trebles all round'.

While there, I over heard a conversation about the cost of the making of the Carter-Belzoni-Champellion docudrama, a young hack from The Guardian had got hold of certain information about the cost. I do remember a certain B.B.C. official being quite annoyed, spluttering into his drink.

If you look up ..... Tara Conlan guardian Egypt bbc.............. You will discover a some what sanitised version of the real discussion that occurred that evening.

The B.B.C. these days is in a dreadful state, it no longer broadcasts or makes programs in HD, even though the world is moving on to ultraHD, Sir David Attenborough is leaving the sinking ship, if his programs are not made in HD then they are difficult to sell worldwide. They have removed B.B.C 3 off our screens, there are rumours that B.B.C. 4 may go the same way by the new year, even that Lucy Worsley was seen on a picket line protesting, well she would, it's been a big earner for her in the past.

P.S. - Have we discovered yet how much Garry Lineker is paid by the corporation ? :wi :wi :wi .
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

A-Four wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:39 am P.S. - Have we discovered yet how much Garry Lineker is paid by the corporation ? :wi :wi :wi .
Clearly not enough, otherwise he wouldn't be stealing crisps from anyone near him with a packet. Although at the price they charge for a small packet of crisps these days, I'm surprised there aren't more crisp thieves. It's daylight robbery whichever way you look at it. :a41:
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Talking of filming in Egypt, Gordon Ramsay is shooting a culinary series in Dahab of all places.

Heaven knows what the Bedouin will make of him...and vice versa.

https://egyptindependent.com/photos-gor ... Lu6X5cACDM
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I've just seen mention of ghis elsewhere in relation to Morocco.
Much as I find Gordon Ramsey irritating, I hope I can see this series as I enjoy seeing and learning about places and culture through food.
-Aldous Huxley