Passports

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Passports

Post by carrie »

My passport is not due for re-newel for years yet but I got to wondering what happens to those who are stuck somewhere and their passport expires.
I know you need 6 months left on your passport in most countries you visit but this thing looks like it's not going to be over very soon
I was amazed to read that MT had his holidays booked for June can't see that happening. Even if it were possible would you want to?

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Passports

Post by newcastle »

As far as I’m aware the procedure for renewing your passport is unaffected by the current pandemic...at least for UK citizens.

If you’re “stuck” abroad it’s presumably because there are no flights. Whether your passport has expired is irrelevant.

The 6 month requirement is for people travelling from the UK to somewhere...it doesn’t matter how little you have left when you return.

So.....if you’re abroad and your passport looks like expiring before you can return, you’d apply for a new one in the usual way.

Even if, for some reason, you can’t get a new passport it’s usually possible for a UK citizen to return to the UK on emergency documentation.
DwayneBuck
United States of America

Re: Passports

Post by DwayneBuck »

It's definitely a concern with everything going on. Passport expiration during these times adds another layer of stress. As for travel plans, it's hard to say what's feasible anymore.