Tourist referred to criminal trial for insulting Egypt on FB

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Re: Tourist referred to criminal trial for insulting Egypt o

Post by DJKeefy »

Lebanese tourist sentenced to 8 years in prison for Facebook post against Egypt.

An Egyptian court sentenced on Saturday a Lebanese woman to at least eight years in prison over insulting Egyptians in a video she posted online, and set July 29 as the date for her appeal, state media reported.

Mona El-Mazbouh was initially handed down 11 years but the sentence was later reduced to eight, the state-run Al-Ahram news agency reported. It was unclear why the sentence was reduced. She was also fined 10,700 Egyptian pounds (around $598).

She was charged with “deliberately broadcasting false rumors which aim to undermine society and attack religions.”

The sentence comes after she posted a 10-minute video in which she used profanities to describe her vacation in Cairo where she says she was sexually harassed. She calls Egyptians the “dirtiest people” and Egypt “the country of pimps ... of beggars.”

El-Mazbouh later posted an apology video, saying “I definitely didn’t mean to offend all Egyptians.” She was arrested in May before departing from Cairo.

Earlier in May, authorities arrested Egyptian activist Amal Fathy after she posted a video online in which she also lashing out at the state after a negative experience in and outside a local bank branch. Also using curses, she railed against what she described as the country’s deteriorating public services and unchallenged sexual harassment. She has since remained in custody.

Amnesty International has called Fathy’s arrest a “new low in Egypt’s crackdown on freedom of expression” and, along with other rights groups, has called for her release.

In June, Egypt’s parliament initially approved a bill placing social media accounts, blogs and websites with more than 5,000 followers under the supervision of the country’s top media regulatory body, which can take measures that include blocking them if they are found to be disseminating false news, inciting violence or violating the law.

A final reading of the bill has yet to take place before its ratified by the president.

Source: http://www.arabnews.com/node/1334891/middle-east

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

8 Years... What a joke :stp Egyptians just hate the truth, they are perfect :roll:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Are you even surprised by this jail sentence? their whole legal system is a joke :urm:
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Horus wrote:Are you even surprised by this jail sentence? their whole legal system is a joke :urm:
Well, not speaking for Keefy but myself, both I and I'm certain he too lived in Luxor during the 'golden age' of tourism, so most Europeans saw very little of national politics in Egypt, even though broadcasts of parliament was part of the national 'diet', on a daily basis, from the local T.V. stations (who could ever forget the speaker of the house, and his comb over.) Anything that President Hosni Mubarak said as he appeared on T.V. was regarded as a message from the 'father of the nation', and even 70 year old men in Luxor believed this.

Everything in those days that came down from Cairo, to Middle and Upper Egypt were to say that 'everything in the rose garden' was wonderful. I had European friends who lived away from Luxor, in such places as Essna, Asswan, Abydos, etc. These people regarded Luxor as Blackpool sea front on acid, but unlike Luxor, they became aware of the up coming so called revolution long before Luxor ever imagined.

I remember returning from Abydos by train, it terminated at Nag Hammadi, three hour wait, went to the local Internet cafe, where the secret police were not present, I quickly learnt From the young people that revolution was only around the corner. This was from young people who no longer gave a damn what they said, and certainly did not fear the old system or the Amdowla, I was certainly worried at this time what was the situation in the likes of the old trouble spots such as Assuit. Quickly I learnt that most of my old friends of more than twenty years standing had gone, I returned to Luxor to read on here that the likes of Jane A and The Sisters were saying that 'everything in the rose garden was swimming'.

From those days to now things have really changed, any long term tourist (for that is what ALL of you are living in Egypt now) should be very carefully what you say in public and certainly what you write on the Internet,.......though I am sure others on here will know better.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Good post A4 and spot on, we gathered that after 3 years of the new regime things would only go one way, we did not want to be a part of this at all.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Major Thom wrote:D when were you last in Cyprus, could it have been when Egypt was a spotlessly clean place to live. (In your Dreams) I don't mind being insulted at all, but when the truth is out and people get insulted then its pot and kettle again. The problem I think is remembering the first day in Gezera when we moved, my wife turned to me and said God Good its not very clean, but then like most things your eyes just seem to avert from it, the cheapness takes over. (Not anymore though) When we arrived here she said goodness what a difference in how clean the place is, hardly any litter, homes kept clean with lovely gardens, and a refuge collection twice a week, with a recyclable collection once a week. Nice lush areas, lovely coastline walks, fresh clean air, and ex pats that cannot be bothered about others or their business. Its an Island of fun and enjoyment..
Would that be a refugee collection? Wonderful! I know they have a problem with illegal immigrants.
Smile! It confuses people
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

No MD, MT obviously is referring to the hundreds of thousands of temporary tents and cardboard towns that these refugees seek asylum and refuge in. Once collected they are then recycled, into better quality tents and twin wall cardboard towns until the following week. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

You lucky lucky...basta*ds
phpBB [video]
....... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I am getting worse but one day you will know why!
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Major Thom wrote:I am getting worse but one day you will know why!
And no doubt it will lead onto many interesting posts of times gone by, hopefully without the exclamation mark.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

AFour fair point but the reason dirty money goes there, and Malta, isn't for the interest its to get it out of Russia, around the sanctions (maybe) and because the Cyprus regulation system is cracked or worse. Once a Russian gets their money into a shop front Cyprus bank without any questions asked he can move it anywhere in Europe into a respectable bank/proper legal system without question. If he had tried to deposit it first in Germany, say, he would have had problems.

There are many that are dirty beyond belief but the immediate FBI attention (not the attention of the somnolent European Bank) is on the Saab brothers. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... laundering. These Saab brothers, and many others, have been in the cross hairs before. Maybe a charge of accessory/accomplice to crimes against humanity.