The Moon pool.

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

The Moon pool.

Post by Dusak »

The Moon pool.

Rachid was the eighteen year old son of a camel breeder. The only youth of this age that lived in this vast semi desert region and an only child. His early morning time was spent tending to his fathers heard, watering, grooming and feeding them and choosing which he would take out across the sands for a slow amble to a small oasis that offered shade and fresh fodder. Adult camels were constantly hungry beasts when there was plenty on offer so they would be quite content chewing on the lush grass waiting for his return.

This walk usually took an hour or so there and back. For Rachid, this was his special time, as he would leave the camels tethered to one of the many palm trees and climb the slight incline to his secret place, the Moon pool. The Moon pool was a small body of captured water that lay comfortably between two low cliffs, perfectly circular and about ten spans across. For some unfathomable reason for Rachid it was salty to the taste, yet all other water in the surrounding area was fresh as you could wish for. Rachid could only guess that it had something to do with the pale red rocks that formed this twin range of relatively low mountains.
His favorite time to spend at the Moon pool was when the full moon was showing, especially on a cool clear night. Its reflection was mirrored perfectly on the waters surface, as clear as if it were daytime. He would sit there for long periods, just staring at the reflection, seeing what he thought looked like vast mountain ranges and deep depressions on its surface. He often wondered if small villages and towns existed there, like the great livestock towns that he went to with his father when it was time to sell off some of the heard. He enjoyed the solitude of this secret place, it was his and his alone. But not this day.

As he crested the top of the rise he saw a woman sitting on his favorite stone, a stone close enough to the pools edge that allowed him to dangle his bare feet into the cooling waters. She gave no indication that she had seen or heard his approach, she seemed to be gazing intently into the deep water, as if looking for something.

''There's no fish living in the water, its to salty.'' He called out as he ventured nearer.

She lifted her head and smiled towards him as he continued his approach. Rachid saw that she looked about the same age as him. She was quite beautiful and his breath caught as she displayed her perfectly formed white teeth.

''I can see that, but even in water like this, you never know what you may see.''

Rachid placed himself on the rocky ground beside her, a bit too close he thought, but it was too late now to correct it without being obvious.

''I watch the moons reflection on the waters surface when the moons full. And if you cast a small pebble into the water, the moon breaks apart then slowly comes together again.''

''Do you come to this place often?'' She inquired, smiling.

''Since I was a small child. There's nothing else to do here but look for things. Do you live around here? I thought it was a good days journey on camel before the first dwellings came into sight.''

''No, I live a great distance away. I'm just traveling through and took a moment to stretch my legs from riding the donkey and discovered this place.''

''Oh, I see. Although I didn't see your donkey when I tethered my camels.'' Rachid bent forwards to pick up a small stone which he flicked into the water, an action that allowed something to slip out of his shirt that was suspended by a long length of catgut.

''Its on the other side of the rise.'' Her eyes looked at the slow swinging stone that the catgut held secure. ''That's a pretty bauble you have tied around your neck.'' She stated.

Rachid pulled the catgut loop free from his shirt, hanging from it was a near perfect, small white pebble with the catgut securing it from a hole drilled neatly through its centre.

''I call it my moonstone. As you can see, it looks very much like the full moon, but a lot smaller.'' He grinned.

She reached out with one of her delicate hands towards the stone. ''May I?'' She asked.

Rachid held the Moonstone towards her hand, he was beginning to feel hot as she gently turned the small pebble between her fingers, seemingly marveling at its natural beauty. One of her fingers accidentally made contact with his exposed chest. His whole body shivered in shear, unexpected delight.

''Its beautiful. Did you craft it yourself?'' Again her smile made her face shine with a brilliance that Rachid thought only the sun could outmatch.

''N no,'' He stuttered in reply, I found it close to the waters edge one day. It was a period of very hot sun and the waters level had dropped a few hands. Its the first time I've ever seen that happen, as if the Sun God wanted me to find it.''

''Perhaps he did... I have to leave now Rachid, but if we ever meet here again, remind me to tell you the story of this Moon pool of yours.'' She smiled, turned, and walked off towards the opposite rise.

All Rachid could do was stare opened mouthed at her retreating back. Cursing himself for not saying more, not even remembering to ask her name... but wait, she had used his name, but he knew he had not told her, so how had she known it? He rose, straightening his stiff shoulders as he did so, it was time he headed back home and thought nothing more about the unexpected meeting, but hoping that one day they would meet again. He could not remove her smile from his memory, no matter how hard he tried, and he would be trying for the next seventy years.

Rachid was now approaching his eighty eighth year. He readied himself for what he knew deep down inside him would probably be his last journey to the Moon pool. His breathing had become laboured, his legs week. Nearly every day since that first eventful meeting with the beautiful mysterious young woman at the Moon pool had he made his way up the rise towards the top with only the odd bout of sickness or trading days preventing him from doing so. Hoping against hope to see her again, but he never had. But also he had never forgotten her smile and that accidental touch of her finger.

Rachid stood at his open doorway, his gaze traveling across the lands, he seeing the building work that was being carried out, year after year at the base of the mountains. An old header friend of his that had called on him a few years back had told him that a Temple of sorts was being constructed for some Deity or other. All he could do was shake his head in a mixture of wonderment and bewilderment, knowing that he would not survive to see its completion. The camels that he had inherited from his father had long since gone, Rachid had become to old and frail to tend them. So he had sold off all his stock and lived relatively comfortable off the proceeds. Proceeds that were quickly diminishing due to the high offerings that people considered wealthy, such as Rachid, could afford to pay towards the construction of this, what he thought to be, a waste of resources, time and men. He struggled to mount his trustworthy donkey and headed out towards the rise.

Rachid could be seen sitting on his favorite rock at the pools edge, now worn quite smooth with its constant use. The reflection of the full moon quite clear to the naked eye, but its surface unchanged from when he had first observed it all those many years ago as a child. He couldn't resist casting a small stone onto the pools surface, watching as the moon broke apart in ripples, then slowly started to come together again. Rachid grinned to himself. A voice called out softly from his left.

''Still breaking the moon apart I see.''

Rachid slowly turned his head towards the direction of the voice, recognizing it even after all these years.

''Nice of you to keep your promise old woman, finally turning up when I'm about to die.'' He grinned a toothless grin towards her.

''I've been busy.'' She grinned back. She still had, he couldn't help but notice, those wonderful white teeth and sunshine smile, even if her skin, like his, showed the passage of time.

With a slight grunt, she slowly lowered herself to sit beside him, placing a gentle hand on his knee. Rachid shivered with this second touch just as strongly as he had done seventy years ago at her first touch. But this time it had been deliberate, although unexpected.

''I intended to come many times over the years Rachid, but things kept happening to prevent me.''

''I thought that you had forgotten me.'' Rachid muttered quietly, but purposely loud enough for her to hear.

''Who could forget the handsome young man with the stars in his eyes. And who could forget the promise made to tell you the story about your Moon pool.''

''It better be a good story worth waiting seventy years for, but not one too long in the telling as I would hate to drift off before its conclusion.''

''I'd better start then.'' She chuckled to herself as she adjusted her posture to a more comfortable one and began to tell the story.

''Many countless years ago, the Moon God was granted a daughter, a Princess of the Moon dynasty. She would spend much of her time gazing down upon the lands of human kind from atop of the palaces tall Star Platform, her eyes alighting on this spot in particular. There was always water here in the pool, but one day as she looked into the waters depths, a small fragment of stardust caught in her eye. The tear that was created dropped slowly to earth, hitting the surface of the pool. The tear changed the fresh water to saltwater in that single blink of an eye.'' The now old woman paused a moment, as if gathering her thoughts.

''She would marvel at the lush pasture lands that lay between the great areas of desert sand, the mountains and the large expanses of water, the mighty rivers. But in particular her attention was always drawn towards the human folk. It is said that one day she observed and instantly fell in love with, a young man. She became besotted with him, her watchful gaze following him through the days of his young life and watched unseen at night as he slept. One such day she decided that watching him from the Star Platform was not enough, she had to get closer to him. She felt the need to hear his words, to touch his skin. So she alighted onto the earth's surface and created a chance meeting between the two. The two soon became inseparable, she creating a story of having to live with relatives in the area due to the sudden loss of her parents, but not close enough to his own dwelling for him to suspect her true motive, he soon declaring his love for her and she feeling the same towards him. Ye Gods, this ground is uncomfortable for old bones Rachid.''

Again she shifted her position several times until finally looking happy with her chosen position. She continued the story.

''One day they were walking hand in hand across the sands when the boy suddenly stooped down and picked up a near perfectly formed round white pebble. He held it out towards her in the palm of his hand, stating that he would craft it into the most beautiful necklace on earth, just for her. But she would have to wait until it was fully finished before she could see it. But the Princess was impatient, not wanting to wait, she wanted to watch him work at its creation, so she observed, hidden from human eyes, as he diligently crafted the stone, polishing it for countless hours as he formed a perfect roundness and polished surface. He then carefully ground a hole through at its centre for the catgut that would suspend it from her beautiful pure white neck and shoulders. She heard when he told his mother that the gift was completed and he would present her with it the following night of the first full moon as they had prearranged to meet.

''Just like the one I have around my neck.'' Rachid stated slowly.

''No Rachid, not like the one you have, but the same one.''

''But... how is that possible?'' He asked slowly, confusion showing in his words.

''I'll explain if you would stop interrupting me you old goat.'' There was fondness in her words.

Rachid also made himself more comfortable by placing his weary head onto her lap. He felt no resistance towards his bold move, she even placed what felt like, to his senses, a loving and gentle supporting hand beneath his chin.

''The Moon Princess has two magical gifts...

''So this girl was really a Goddess of the Moon?'' Rachid stated in wonderment.

''Hush and don't interrupt me again.'' She snapped at him. ''The first,'' she continued, ''was that a single tear dropped onto the lips of say, a stillborn child, would give it life, or revive the near to death of a mortally wounded or untreatable sick person . The second, called the Bloodrite, would give eternal life to the one chosen to receive this gift. A simple prick of each right thumb, the flowing blood pressed together, is all it took to become an immortal. And this is what the Princess intended to do when they next met, the Bloodrite. But unbeknown to the Moon Princess, the Moon God had been told of her plans by his palace spies.''

''This is all very confusing to my old ears.'' Rachid bemoaned. ''I'm nearly deaf now. Did I tell you that?''

Rachid's mumbling were ignored as she continued the tale.

''On the night of the first full moon when they had arranged next to meet, the Princess had suddenly been ordered to attend a grand banquet in celebration of the completion of the Astral Walkway, a bridge that spanned time and space, connecting the planets of two of the most powerful Gods, Mars and the Moon. The Princess was devastated, but undaunted. The following day would do just as well to carry out the Bloodrite. A few hours later it was a trusted servant of the Moon Princess that had delivered the devastating news.''

She stopped talking as a loud snapping noise came from behind them, she turned her head to look in the direction that it had come from. But only an animal of sorts she decided, so carried on with the story.

''While the attention of the Princess was being deliberately held by various Astral dignitaries and younger Gods, the Moon God had sent down to earth his most trusted lieutenants of war to capture the young human at the prearranged meeting point. They had captured him, bound him tightly and weighted his body with stone and cast him into the deep depths of the Moon pool.''

Rachid gave out a low sigh, as if saddened by the story.

''The Princess was inconsolable at this terrible news and vowed never to speak or even look towards her father again. That same night as she made her way up to the top of the Star Platform to cast her eye onto the Moon pool, she had happened look up. She saw the Moon God looking down towards the pool, he held a sly grin on his lips as he turned and descended down one of the four great granite staircases. The Princess had taken another staircase, not wanting to even pass her father on the staircase and walked towards the edge of the great viewing platform, staring blankly towards the Moon pool. But all she could see was her own reflection.''

Rachid moved slightly, as if he were uncomfortable.

''Some thirty earth years later a war broke out between the Gods of the Mountains and the Earth. The ensuing battle broke down one side of the North rise that contained the Moon pool. It wasn't long before the pool was drained empty and dry for the first time in thousands of years. The young Princes looked down onto the now dry bottom of the pool and saw the earthly remains of the human she had fell in love with, the same human the Moon God, her father, had ordered to be destroyed.''

Again Rachid shifted his position slightly.

''The princess descended to the earth and begged the God of rock and stone to heal the rent in the side of the mountain that his battle had created, draining the pool dry. He agreed, demanding a single kiss on the cheek as payment. The God of rock and stone worked his power and healed the rift. The Princess once again stood on the Star Platforms edge, looked down to the still empty, dry bed of the Moon pool, and started to weep. Her tears held the healing magical powers of a God. So the Princess wept for a hundred earth years until once again the Moon pool had filled with her salt laden tears in the hope that she could bring back to life the one she loved. But it proved an impossible task, even for one with the powers of a God.''

She stopped talking and gave out a long sigh and looked down onto Rachid's near bald head.

''So my Rachid, the first time I set eyes on you, I knew that you were the reincarnation of my long lost love. So I waited patently this time, not chancing my fathers wrath by showing any interest in you. Until the time of your natural death was near.''

The Princess removed the jeweled hair clasp from her jet black hair and pricked her right thumb, then doing the same to Rachid's. She gently pressed the two spots of blood together, lowered her head, removing her earthly aged looks at the same time to reveal her true eternal, youthful beauty as Rachid had first saw her, openly displayed for his soon to be fresh, youthful eyes to see. She lowered her gaze fully to welcome him to eternity and looked straight into the cold, steel blue eyes of her father, the Moon God.

The Princess pushed herself away from the prone figure of the Moon God, pure hatred showed in her eyes.

''What deceit is this you practice upon me.'' She spat out the words as if they were pure venom towards him.

''It is no deceit daughter, although it was my initial intention to do so. But having listened to the story you told as what you thought was the human Rachid, I decided that you should know the truth.''

''And what truth would that be, oh mighty God of the Moon? That you killed this human as quickly and as easily as you did my first love.''

''I did not kill any human, we are not capable of such actions. The one you knew as Rachid is at rest halfway up the trail leading to this spot. His old heart could beat no longer. His two sons approach his remains as we speak.''

''Again you lie. The human Rachid, as you refer to him, had no wife, no children. He knew that I would return for him when his time...

''Had come and you would preform the Bloodrite.'' The Moon God interrupted. ''Giving him and you eternal companionship. There is no Bloodrite, there never was, only what had been placed within your thoughts by those that worship us with their prayers.''

''You speak riddles to cover your crimes.'' She snapped as she turned her back on him, her quivering shoulders betraying her emotions.

''My daughter, we only exist for as long as the energy produced by those countless thousands of prayers and sacrificial rites and chanting is given to us. We are nothing but two pieces on the gaming board that these humans that revere us so much have created. We get moved in all directions depending on how many prayers are said from those that seek an answer for their many wants, needs and demands. Our lives are just a pretense, a creation, a story that continually unfolds.''

''Nonsense, we are as real as the humans are. Why do you use such words? Rachid knew I was real, we talked, touched, even kissed. He came here to the Moon pool nearly every day hoping to see me again. But I stayed away, observing him from the Star Platform only, to prevent your interference. And look where that precaution got me. He's dead and beyond my help. You must surly hate me to do this twice.''

''I do not hate you, I'm, we, are incapable of such things. The reason Rachid came here as often as he did was an attempt to ease his guilt.''

The Princess turned to glare at him.

''Guilt? And what guilt would that be towards? Feeling love for me as I did, still do, towards him?''

''Daughter, turn and look at your precious Moon pool and tell me what you see.''

''Why should I? Do you intend to push me to my death as your war lieutenants did to my first love. Do not forget father, I'm an immortal, you can not destroy me.'' She spat the words out towards his face. Her anger was plain to see.

''Turn and you will see the truth. I have no wish to do you any harm, even if that action was possible.''

The Princess turned, begrudgingly, to face the Moon pool. She drew in a sharp breath of confusion. Gone was her Moon pool. Instead all she saw was a dry, deep pit, devoid of any water.

''What has happened to it? Why have you done this terrible thing to me?''

''I have done nothing to you. What you see is the reality of this place. Draw closer to the edge. Look down and tell me what you see.''

The Princess did as requested, taking three slow and cautious steps towards the crumbling edge. At first glance she saw nothing, until her vision noted a small pile of whitened human bones. The remnants of colourful rags obscured some of the remains.

''I don't understand. Those are the remains of a woman's clothes.''

''Both the bones and the clothes. Those are what is left of the wife of Rachid. Rachid had, in his early years of marriage, an intense jealousy towards his attractive wife. His mind was constantly imaging things that did not exist, like his wife's infidelity. He had followed her up this rise one day, he then not knowing of what lay at the top. He just assumed, incorrectly, that his wife was meeting her secret lover. But in truth, all she sought was a few moments alone in the quietness. He confronted her, she laughed at his suggestion, he calling her terrible names in his anger. She had slapped his face in contempt, Rachid had retaliated by pushing her away, but a little to forceful. She tottered on the edge of the pit and fell to her death. Rachid had attempted to grab her, but was not quick enough. I bore witness to all this. That is the reason for him coming here so often. He was asking her for forgiveness, praying to me to make things as they were, to bring her back to him. But I could only observe and listen, just as the story created for me on this occasion had dictated my actions.''

''So if we only exist in the humans thoughts, and nothing is real, then how do you explain this?''

The Princess held out her had towards the Moon God, but it contained nothing. She looked confused.

''I don't understand. I had the Moonstone necklace, I could feel it in my grasp.'' There was still an air of doubt in her words.

''No, you were given the thought that you did. The necklace is where it has always been, among those remains of Rachid's wife. Cast your vision towards the moon. What do you see that is different?''

The Princess again did as was requested. Searching the Palace, gardens, hallways and towers. At first she noted no change, until looking at what should have been the beginning of the Astral Walkway. It no longer existed. And as she looked towards the grand feasting hall, that too, had disappeared. As had the North and Eastern towers.

''What has happened to our home? So much of it has gone.''

''It only existed in our time and space. Created by the combined energies of countless hundreds of worshipers prayers to the Moon God. With that energy the story created what you remembered, but, the energy required for the two of use to play out this chapter of the story is immense. So I had to relinquish my hold on some of the things that the story needed to be created. They are lost for ever. My energy weakens by the day.''

The Moon God paused for a few moments, a sadness in his eyes.

''Remember the time you began to cry at the perceived injustice of the one you thought you loved and had lost? More tears were shed from your eyes into your Moon pool in your vain attempt to bring those old dry bones back into existence than there are stars in the heavens. Each tear was the energy of one prayer. And you released countless millions. Yet another page of the story played out.''

''So are you saying that we too will eventually become nothingness?''

''As we speak, new Gods are being created. Vast Temples and monuments are being constructed in their name by the humans. The humans that worship us now, clustering like flies on dead meat inside their pitiful circles of rough granite will soon be so few in numbers that we too will cease to exist. Our story will be at an end. Soon we shall be nothing but small children standing in the shadows of these new Gods, then to become, slowly at first, just a fading memory of humankind. Do you know how you came into existence?''

''Do not speak to me as if I'm a child. I have observed what the humans do to produce their children, and my creation was no different. Born from the union between yourself and the Moon Goddess, my mother.''

''About two hundred and forty earth years I suddenly found myself in the great Western tower. I was there, I could only surmise, as part of the story. At first I saw nothing, but then a very small speck of energy caught my eye, almost lost to my sight in the bright moonlight that shone through the windows. I knew that the human worshipers were creating something new. But what? I couldn't guess, I would just have to wait until it had become. Three earth years later, having watched the orb of power increase slowly in size and shape I again entered the Western tower, and there you stood. Dressed just the same as you are now, in clothes that never show any wear, never get soiled. You greeted me as father, looked at me as if it wasn't for the first time in your existence, and stated that you had been looking for me all over the palace.''

''Ridiculous!'' She snapped towards him.

''Ridiculous it does sound. But tell me daughter, what memories have you of growing up? Your childhood years. The games you would of played. The gentle touch of a mother, the scolding words of a tormented father towards his daughters constant disobedience's? Be honest with yourself. You have non because you were never given any. That part of your, our, story did not require such memories. You came into being for reasons only know to those that created us. Another chapter of the story.''

''Nothing was real then? I never met my first love, the necklace was never made for me. No meeting of the young Rachid here at the Moon pool. Non of it happened. So what can be done for us? Will these new Gods you speak of be more powerful than we are?''

''As I stated earlier, the necklace is real. Rachid bought it for his intended wife from a merchant he met at a livestock market. But as to what can be done. Nothing but wait until the last page of the story of our existence is written. As for these new Gods, they may eventually receive more energy if their worshiper numbers are vast, but they will be just as impotent as you and I, unable to preform the miracles that are asked for. Who knows, their stories my run into many books, produced over thousands of earth years. We should return to what is left of our home and wait for the next move of our game players.''

As the Moon God and his daughter began to fade, she turned one last time towards the Moon pool. A single tear of remorse left her right eye to land onto the dry earth. Within moments a small sapling pushed its way skywards through the earth. It increased its girth and height as strong branches grew out in all directions. New leaves, then flower buds appeared, and as these flowers died and were discarded, from the remaining stems small, white, perfectly round berries were formed. The birth of the first Moon berry tree.

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: The Moon pool.

Post by Horus »

:a27: Bravo Dusak, a great little piece of fiction with an unusual story line, thanks for writing it (I assume) and posting it on here. :up
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Yes, all my own words. The only bit of plagiarism that I do is MT's posts. Rewritten on my bog roll as, one, it gives one something to read while on the throne, and two, the giggles they create tend to make the flow go smoothly. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:Yes, all my own words.
In the copy & paste sense ;)

Ooooh ....you are awful :lol:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Credit where credit is due, they are all his own words and effort :up
We did used to have quite an active literary section with some good contributions over the years :a22:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I remember a few years back, I think it was some poetry I wrote, HEPZIBAH asked was it my own work, and if so, if I could copyright it as such and any future offerings. I took that as a compliment. :tk newcastle, your a very naughty man. :ks
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:I remember a few years back, I think it was some poetry I wrote, HEPZIBAH asked was it my own work, and if so, if I could copyright it as such and any future offerings. I took that as a compliment. :tk newcastle, your a very naughty man. :ks
No offence intended Dusak :ks

Compliments on the grammar/spelling accuracy :up
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Non taken, although I do tend to prefer a gate. :D
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

I Thoroughly enjoyed that story Dusak.. Thank you... :up
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

newcastle wrote:Compliments on the grammar/spelling accuracy :up
Yes, the grammar and spelling were not very good, but the piece was quite readable all the same. :-)
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Undaunted, he once again took up the pen.