Some good news for once

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Some good news for once

Post by crewmeal »

BA are looking to fly to Sharm again. That has to be good news as if BA start the others should follow. Can't say the same for Russia just yet.

http://www.egyptindependent.com/news/br ... -september

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Some good news for once

Post by newcastle »

Have you seen the prices BA are quoting for October?

£1000+ for return to Sharm! !!!
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

They'll drop in due course otherwise the route won't work.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I gather some people don't understand "from £508 each-way"
means £ 1016 for a return trip!

If they don't reduce it , they'll get no takers.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I have friends coming over in a couple of weeks time for a month. They paid £1,687 for the two of them, flights and baggage plus whatever tax is payable. They pay for the hotel separately. This was the cheapest deal that they could find, but this time they have to land and travel from Hurghada, so an extra £100 for the round trip.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

One thing about the flight costs it does ensure that the people coming are the one's who want to be here not those who stop you and ask where the beach is and can you give them directions to the pyramids. ;)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:One thing about the flight costs it does ensure that the people coming are the one's who want to be here not those who stop you and ask where the beach is and can you give them directions to the pyramids. ;)
.....or which cafe has the best deal for a full, fried, English breakfast with all the trimmings - pork sausages, bacon etc. :eat
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

newcastle wrote:
carrie wrote:One thing about the flight costs it does ensure that the people coming are the one's who want to be here not those who stop you and ask where the beach is and can you give them directions to the pyramids. ;)
.....or which cafe has the best deal for a full, fried, English breakfast with all the trimmings - pork sausages, bacon etc. :eat
Its Ramadan newcastle, I object very strongly to you using such foul language. I have no option other than demand you are banned for the remainder of the month. :eat
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

crewmeal wrote:BA are looking to fly to Sharm again. That has to be good news as if BA start the others should follow. Can't say the same for Russia just yet.

No one is going to start any flights until well after the FCO changes its advice.
The aircraft aren't sitting around to start flying the day they change the advice, being the winter season it may not take too long but most travel companies work on seasons May - Nov and Nov - May to stand any chance for any program this winter the advice needs to change NOW.
easyJet said they could restart but with about 20% of its previous service.
When the advice changes then let's see what the airlines say.
Last edited by Bombay on Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

crewmeal wrote:BA are looking to fly to Sharm again. That has to be good news as if BA start the others should follow. Can't say the same for Russia just yet.

No one is going to start any flights until well after the FCO changes its advice.
The aircraft aren't sitting around to start flying the day they change the advice, being the winter season it may not take too long but most travel companies work on seasons May - Nov and Nov - May to stand any chance for any program this winter the advice needs to change NOW.
easyJet said they could restart but with about 20% of its previous service.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

And you can be so fussy!
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Bombay wrote:
And you can be so fussy!
From what I hear, the posts heading can be applied to yourself. :up
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

That's why I said BA are looking at restarting the route. Obviously nothing will happen until the FCO give the go ahead.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

crewmeal wrote:
That's why I said BA are looking at restarting the route. Obviously nothing will happen until the FCO give the go ahead.
And as i said which along with the rest of my post you didn't quote

We see items in the local news all the time when something actually happens then yes that will be good news not an item about an Airline that will fly to somewhere it currently cannot.
we already had one a couple of months back about easyJet starting flights again and couldn't.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Dusak wrote:
Bombay wrote:
And you can be so fussy!
From what I hear, the posts heading can be applied to yourself. :up
Yes I thought that myself very good news indeed thank you.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

British Airways abandons flights to Egypt’s Sharm el-Sheikh resort 'indefinitely' amid terror fears

British Airways has abandoned flights to Egypt’s Sharm el-Sheikh resort "indefinitely" amid terror fears in a blow to the country’s tourism industry.

No flights have operated between the UK and the Red Sea resort since November last year after the bombing of a Russian passenger plane, which killed 224 people.

BA had previously only cancelled flights up until specific dates pending a change in Government advice.
But the airline has issued a statement which read: "The safety and security of our customers will always be our top priorities and we have suspended our flights from Gatwick to Sharm el-Sheikh indefinitely.

"Customers who hold bookings on any cancelled services for the coming winter season can claim a full refund or can use the money to cover a new booking with us for an alternative destination."

A spokesman for easyJet said the low-cost carrier "remains committed to resuming services to Sharm", but added that it will not happen until the Government's advice changes.

Monarch has cancelled all flights to Sharm up to and including October 30.

The Luton-based airline issued a statement which insisted that it hopes to resume services from the beginning of the winter season.

But it admitted that the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has given "no update or indications" as to when its travel advice may change.

Thomson Airways has suspended its flights to Sharm until at least September 28.

A spokesman for the airline said: "We would like to thank our customers for their continued patience and apologise for the inconvenience caused whilst the current FCO advice is in place."

The Association of British Travel Agents has previously said the decision on whether or not to use Sharm airport is not made by airlines but by the UK authorities, and flights will only start again when they are satisfied security is strong enough.

The Government suspended flights to Sharm on November 4 last year after an Airbus 321 operated by Russian airline Metrojet crashed, killing 224 people. Islamic State jihadis have claimed responsibility for the bombing of the passenger jet.

Britons at the resort were brought home in a series of flights amid heightened security measures which ended on November 17.

Since then, UK airlines have not operated routes between Sharm and the UK.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06 ... ikh-resor/
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/223531.aspx

National Falcon Company for Airport Security signed an agreement Tuesday with British company Restrata for Consulting and Training, Egypt's civil aviation ministry said.

The training programme will develop the skills of 7000 Egyptian Falcon Group personnel in airport security procedures.
The move comes as a number of European countries, including the UK and Russia, continue to restrict travel to Sharm El-Sheikh airport since a Russian Metrojet airliner which took off from the south Sinai port crashed last October killing all 224 people on board.

Restrata will train new National Falcon airport security staff in screening procedures for passengers and baggage, according to the training contract.

The UAE-based British aviation security company also became Falcon's airport security consultant, according to a second contract signed Tuesday, the civil aviation ministry said.

The security consultancy contract stipulates that Restrata would "implement training methods, evaluate the training levels, asses the trainees during their work, as well as issuing security risk reports, giving recommendations, reviewing and evaluating of inspection procedures," the ministry statement read.

A Memorandum of Understanding was also signed between the companies to establish a training institute for airport security training.

British ambassador John Casson and Civil Aviation Minister Sherif Fathi attended the signing ceremony.

“Nothing is more important than the safety of British and Egyptian people as they travel between our countries," Casson said, according to the press release.

"I'm proud that Britain is Egypt's leading and most active partner on the road to a world class airport security system that could be a model for the world . Today's new UK-Egypt partnership is another important step on that road," the ambassador said.

The agreement was signed by Mark Alexander, Managing Director of Restrata and Sherif Khaled, CEO and Managing Director of National Falcon, a joint venture for airport security between Egyptian private security company Falcon Group International and the Egyptian government.

The Egyptian civil aviation minister said the agreement reflects the ministry's determination to enhance airport security in Egypt and to apply international security procedures, according to the ministry's statement.

National Falcon is set to start its airport security work in Sharm El Sheikh airport, Chairman of the Holding Company for Airports and Air Navigation Ismail Abul Ezz – who also attended the ceremony – told Al Mal newspaper on Monday.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

If this is good news, hold back the bad. :lol:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A Memorandum of Understanding was also signed between the companies to establish a training institute for airport security training.

How many is that we've got now? :lol:

I don't know how long it will take to establish the institute, recruit the trainees, train them to a satisfactory standard and then deploy them in Egypt's airports but , if you're planning a flight from UK to Sharm, don't pack your bags just yet.