West Bank Accident

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

West Bank Accident

Post by Major Thom »

a group of youths in a flat bed tuck tuck were on their way to Gezera early yesterday evening, for some reason the yuk tuck stooped on the main road near Esba, it had no lights on and a heavy vehicle slammed into it. One young person killed instantly others with life threatening injuries in hospital. What a sorry state of affairs and dreadful news for the families. Hopefully one day we will get a traffic division on the West Bank that will look into driving methods and start proper training.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: West Bank Accident

Post by Who2 »

Well obviously they didn't use their lights, why should they ? saving their battery life. QED... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I wonder if the 'heavy truck' had any lights on either.

A senseless waste of lives.......R.I.P :(
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

A 22 year old boy was killed in the accident, the Tuk Tuk was not stopped the speeding lorry ran into the back of it. I was actually with his brother last night when he got the phone call to tell him what had happened. The boy came from Esba.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Yes, but who had lights on? In civilized parts of the world it is expected that a driver can stop in time to avoid any accident. O.K., it does not happen all the time, but at least some of us allow for safe braking distance and for people running into the road.

But sorry for the families of all involved.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Well there has to be some totally Egyptian illogical reason for not using one's lights in the dark.
But for the life of me cannot see it, but then I'm not Egyptian.
Perhaps the other Dr who seems to know of all things Egyptian can come up with a decent diagnosis... :cool:
Ps: Personally I put the blame on the demise of the Donkey..
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I remember Keefy telling me once that he got into trouble from the police for having his lights on, they said it stopped them from seeing his number plate.
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

In Kenya they had two excuses - they didn't want to be seen (as they had pinched the vehicle) or to save fuel - the lights use up the battery, the battery has to be charged by driving and driving uses fuel.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

carrie wrote:I remember Keefy telling me once that he got into trouble from the police for having his lights on, they said it stopped them from seeing his number plate.

Me too more than once.
Smile! It confuses people
Punchdrunk

Post by Punchdrunk »

It's not driving here,it's avoiding. If they took every vehicle off the road that were defective in some way the roads would be completely free of traffic. They have no disalpine in any spere of their lives. Boys as young as 6/7/8 have been seen driving motorbikes,when we asked why this is allowed to happen,we were told"how are they suppose to learn", well not a bloody main road you stupid people. My blood boils are their attitude to safety,it's none existent. They have no respect for their own lives which I find incredible. No comprehension of speed,no understanding of traffic law(silly me) they don't exist either.. Another young life taken because they never learn.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

There was a young lad of 19 killed on his motorbike at the top of my street yesterday, going too fast, skidded and got his head crushed to a pulp under a lorries wheels. The blood and what have you has just been left on the street.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

The news of this accident was posted on one of the Luxor news sites. It's striking how different the responses to this story are from Egyptians to the remarks made here.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Glyphdoctor wrote:The news of this accident was posted on one of the Luxor news sites. It's striking how different the responses to this story are from Egyptians to the remarks made here.
Presumably responses were in Arabic which I for one can't read.

It might be interesting if you could give us some examples, or the gist, of how Egyptians feel about this accident..
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

In Hurghada we have regular tales of death and injury on the roads which are widely reported on social forums populated by foreigners and Egyptians .

Generally, the foreigner comments trot out the usual criticisms of driving skills, bad roads, general stupidity etc. Egyptians too...if they are posting in English.

The posts in Arabic, insofar as Google translate is able to interpret them, are usually entirely about condolences, prayers for the injured and dead and related religious sentiments.