Does it work both ways?

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Does it work both ways?

Post by Scottishtourist »

We are all aware of the "rip-offs"in Egypt with regard to foreigners and ex-pats.
A lot of them lose money,self-respect,retirement funds,etc,be it through investing in property,marriage or business ventures,etc.

Many complain of the time it takes to get these problems sorted,Egyptian law,Egyptian lawyers,the disappearance of the culprit,their recourse to justice and repayment,etc.

So..can this work both ways?

A hypothetical question.

What happens if a foreigner moves to Egypt and invests in any kind of deal..then the whole thing just goes "tits up?"
Rather than go through a lengthy,complicated legal procedure (which will probably cause them a great deal of mental and physical)distress,they decide "sod-it",I'll cut my losses.

What if they hold property leases,rent their flat,have incurred debts through failed business ventures..and decide to come "home"for a holiday?
Then they decide that they don't want to return to Egypt and suffer all that stress again.So,they don't go back.

What happens?
Does anyone "chase"them up?
Can they break lease agreements,leave debts behind,etc?All for "peace of mind"and their own sanity?

Or would Egyptian authorities "be in touch?"Does UK and Egypt have any sort of reciprocal agreement on such matters?

Can you or would you ever consider this course of action(let's forget for a moment that we are all allegedly law abiding honest people!)

Or would your conscience tell you it's not the right thing to do..so you would "fight on"and possibly suffer a nervous breakdown at the end of it?

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Does it work both ways?

Post by newcastle »

I find it hard to imagine circumstances in which a foreigner would end up owing money in Egypt and with no assets here which could be sold to settle the debt. I'm not aware that Egyptian institutions or individuals are in the habit of giving credit without security.

In the UK it's not unusual to find people fleeing abroad to escape their debts and it can have some success as civil claims are difficult to pursue abroad.

In the, as I say, highly unlikely situation that a foreigner had unpayable debts in Egypt he'd be well advised to scarper as non-payment of debts here, as in other Arab countries, can become a criminal matter and you can be jailed for non-payment.

Occasionally you hear of people being hospitalised, without insurance cover, and, if they manage to get treatment at all, the hospital will normally insist on holding their passport to prevent then leaving without paying.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Your either a lamb or a wolf, be bold strike first, keep kicking them down until they can't get up..
This is not just egyptians, it's a part of life, stand up, be counted, I'm a small bas**rd but an evil bast**d when the needs be.
I've been up against some huge black chaps in 'her majesties, but front them out and they become your best pal,
it's all a matter of confidence in one's ability to do... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

This is Tammy Wynette with my mates the KLF listen to the words..it's early rave days.... :cool:
phpBB [video]

S.T. 'You wonder if this is relevant to your life ? 'Totally"...
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.