Deir esh-Shelwet

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Deir esh-Shelwet

Post by Brian Yare »

There appears to be a new scam. People buying tickets for the Temple of Isis at Deir esh-Shelwet at the main west bank ticket office are being asked for US$5 instead of LE40. I have heard this from two different groups, and both have reported it to the cheif of inspectors. Has anyone else heard of this?

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Deir esh-Shelwet

Post by newcastle »

Brian Yare wrote:There appears to be a new scam. People buying tickets for the Temple of Isis at Deir esh-Shelwet at the main west bank ticket office are being asked for US$5 instead of LE40. I have heard this from two different groups, and both have reported it to the cheif of inspectors. Has anyone else heard of this?
Assuming I was issued with a valid ticket I'd be happy to tender $5.....somewhat less than 40LE at the current rate of exchange.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I wonder what happened when they found out that ZH was printing his own tickets, went all a bit quite about that… :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote:I wonder what happened when they found out that ZH was printing his own tickets, went all a bit quite about that… :cool:
Maybe it'll be in GD's memoirs :urm:
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

Its not the price we're complaining about , its the currency. A group of us turned up at the ticket office, all of us residents here, We were quite happy to pay 40LE (the price on the board) but were refused tickets unless we paid in dollars. None of us had dollars so we were all turned away.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Now that does sound very odd....although not really a "scam".

Might be worth asking the WB egyptological cognoscienti....
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I discovered on a recent visit there, that the very dear gentleman, who for at least 25 years has worked at this office has, like a few officials recently retired. It seems to me that the new chap is trying his luck.

I suggest one of two things, either request, to see the chief inspector of the WB, or simply request to see the Tourist Police General WB, who is on most occasions in his office between 10 and 4, except Fridays. Both speak excellent English, so be very polite.

Both offices of these officials are within a very short walk from this ticket office, once this man has insisted that you pay in $, go away from him, do not question him and seek out the officials, then you will make it easier for future visitors.

It is well known that British tourists can not these days obtain $ in Egypt.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Hard to make sense of it. As A-Four says who's likely to have dollars on them?

Presumably the ticket man has to "balance his books" at the end of the day....EGP in matching tickets sold.

I wonder if he was angling for the offer of "extra" EGP (i.e. over and above 40LE) by the visitors by 'insisting' on dollars? if so, a rather dangerous game to play if he values his job!
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

The old bill have an office 10 yards just past the ticket office normally a general or two in attendance drinking tea no-doubt they would love a visit, if this is the old temple out toward Al Moudera we just used to bung the guardian a couple of bob for a butchers, don't know what all the fuss is all about,
'man cannot live by bread alone… :cool:
Ps: now take 'the holy elbow of St Tawdros at that monastery round the corner, if that's not a con, I don't know what is!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

No he couldnt accept LE because the price printed on the tickets was dollars, therefore they have to take dollars ...........
I sent an email of complaint to the governor's office and have received a reply but not one that makes sense.
At the time I rang someone very senior in Luxor Tourism who offered to speak to the ticket seller on our behalf on my phone. However after a heated exchange between the two, he apologised to me, and said even he didnt know about this price tier, but it was a directive from Cairo that because the price on the tickets is in dollars ......etc etc etc
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

hatusu wrote:No he couldnt accept LE because the price printed on the tickets was dollars, therefore they have to take dollars ...........
I sent an email of complaint to the governor's office and have received a reply but not one that makes sense.
At the time I rang someone very senior in Luxor Tourism who offered to speak to the ticket seller on our behalf on my phone. However after a heated exchange between the two, he apologised to me, and said even he didnt know about this price tier, but it was a directive from Cairo that because the price on the tickets is in dollars ......etc etc etc

What can one say?

Only In Egypt... :))) :))) :)))
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Guess all currency is not created equal.

I agree with Newcastle :)))
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

So what is a CHEIF inspector then B.Y.?
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Bearded Brian wrote:So what is a CHEIF inspector then B.Y.?

Oh it's just Brian dropping an E, in the wrong hole.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

The same scam (or call it what you will) also applies to the Temple of Mut, near Karnak. US$5 is the only way to get a ticket.

Someone in authority must have an answer to this, or at least a reason.
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

I was talking to an English tourist a couple of nights ago in the hotel. Chatting about his sightseeing, he just happened to mention that he'd tried to buy a ticket for Deir esh Shelwet but he'd been turned away because he couldnt pay in dollars.How many more people that we dont know about are being turned away?
What on earth is the thinking behind this directive?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

hatusu wrote:I was talking to an English tourist a couple of nights ago in the hotel. Chatting about his sightseeing, he just happened to mention that he'd tried to buy a ticket for Deir esh Shelwet but he'd been turned away because he couldnt pay in dollars.How many more people that we dont know about are being turned away?
Probably ...."not a lot". Welcome to Egypt! :lol:

Thank for the 'heads up' re Mut Temple (Brian)....I have friends intending to go there next week. I'll tell them to get some dollars.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

hatusu wrote:I was talking to an English tourist a couple of nights ago in the hotel. Chatting about his sightseeing, he just happened to mention that he'd tried to buy a ticket for Deir esh Shelwet but he'd been turned away because he couldnt pay in dollars.How many more people that we dont know about are being turned away?
Ticket price in Dollars, no one has dollars ( except Americans who have been absent since Hatsheptsut 18 years ago ) therefore I would say its a way of semi closing said temple without having to officially declare it. :wi
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

You're forgetting the Russians BM....all they carry is dollars.

They've only just opened the Mut temple after some restoration. It makes no sense to make access difficult.

But then....where are we....?

I conclude you are probably right! :lol:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Its a new cunning plan to isolate us Brits. Obama says if you want the next one billion $ loan, then change the countries currency to $. We are all doomed, but we may now see some better quality fast food outlets, to be paid in $ of course. :(
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.