Cairo/Luxor/Egypt.

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Cairo/Luxor/Egypt.

Post by Scottishtourist »

Spare a thought please!All those who are going about their daily business and working through "adversity."
Going out for curries in Luxor,enjoying their holiday,visiting the sights,keeping away from protests and demonstrations.
Who's picking up the slack?
Doctors and nurses!They're treating the injured,the dying.
Wee bit of stone throwing,birdshot?
That's nothing...so you think!
That's SAFE!Wrong!It's deadly!Stone throwing by adult men can be fatal.The force behind them causes them to be deadly projectile missiles,causing blood clots on the brain and fractured skulls!
So whilst everyone proclaims Luxor is safe...spare a thought for other people!

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: Cairo/Luxor/Egypt.

Post by Bombay »

Where has anyone said its safe?
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

The only 'safe' haven is the grave, that is until some bar-steward digs you back up to re-plant you in the family home as a tourist attraction, then digs you back up again to put you back were you laid in the first place. Who would of thought that you would still travel in death. Could be one for BM to ponder on. :up As for the medical staff here, as I can only assume that they have a more professional point of view in other places in their level of patient care, they would welcome the extra inflow of traffic as you are charged for going for a **** at the International, so the call would probably be ''bring it on.'' No one in their right mind [before the stone impacts] needs to suffer such destructive head trauma as you state as we are well stocked up with the latest day-glow plastic helmets from China. Able to take the force of a one pound projectile from thirty feet away. Of course, that doesn't protect the unfortunate sod standing next to you that gets the bounce off in the nose.

In regards to the bird-shot the good old, now past it, Jeromy Bowan BBC corespondent, now he was a soft lad for getting to close to the action, but in most cases concerning reporters, danger = respect even if it means ending up in a wheelchair in the process. We here are not like that. If we need to go out we assess the situation. In my case I make a couple of phone calls to get a view of the streets, then deiced if its OK to chance it. And I use the word chance as that is what you are doing. We go for a 'curry' as you say because we as a collective of friends believe in supporting each other. Russell is a friend to us, so if we decided to go out, it is to his restaurant to put a bit of custom his way to help him in these lean times, plus his staff that he keeps on full pay no matter what the customer levels are. And is it not the ''true British spirit'' to carry on as normal as possible during conflicts? By being normal as you put it, we are thinking of others, the countless thousands that still need our business to survive.

I don't really think that you could give a gilded toss if Egypt burned or not and you could always pick a better weeks weather in Portugal. And I'm sure that the Portuguese would welcome you with open arms. You bemoan the fact that when we living here make an observation as to the current situation, you decry the post as to be self opinionated. You only want the 'nitty gritty' aspect of it all. Well like it or lump it, that's all your getting.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

The "nitty gritty"Dusak?
Yeah,you're damned right I want the "nitty gritty."
Any Doctors,nurses out there?
What you dealing with at the moment?
Bet it's not a crowd of ex-pats and tourists complaining of a dodgy tummy due to a bad meal or a bad pint!
Believe me,I'd rather clean up s**t and fit stoma bags anyday...than pick out birdshot and try to patch up a fractured skull!
These "money making"doctors et al are worth their weight in gold...be it at Luxor International Hospital..or any other Medical Treatment Facility in the country!
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Scottishtourist wrote:The "nitty gritty"Dusak?
Yeah,you're damned right I want the "nitty gritty."
Any Doctors,nurses out there?
What you dealing with at the moment?
Bet it's not a crowd of ex-pats and tourists complaining of a dodgy tummy due to a bad meal or a bad pint!
Believe me,I'd rather clean up s**t and fit stoma bags anyday...than pick out birdshot and try to patch up a fractured skull!
These "money making"doctors et al are worth their weight in gold...be it at Luxor International Hospital..or any other Medical Treatment Facility in the country!
If that is the case, may I be so bold to suggest that you get the first available flight out to Nigeria as they just love to shoot, hack and maim school teachers, pupils and members of the medical profession on a 24/7 basis. Should be loads of 'nitty gritty' there to keep you contented for life, be it short lived. Plenty of 'hands on' experience as well, usually delivered via machete as it severs the limb from the wrist whilst resting on a block of wood. But that's civilization for you, so unpredictable at times. At the moment I'm engrossed attempting to educate a whining, whinging ol' tart from another point of the compass, not that that would interest you. The medical staff at the international hospital certainly are worth their weight in gold, taken from not just the likes of me, but their own country men looking for medical assistance, which is given routinely, but not freely. I read enough s**t on here for my quota to be filled without feeling the need to clean extra deposits up. As for buckshot plucking and stemming the flow of blood from busted heads I can well believe your tiered of it all. After all, hailing from Scotland you must of been doing such repair work for most of your working life.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Less of the "ole whingin tart"please Dusak!
From all reports you're supposed to be a gentleman!
And please remember that I'm 10 years behind you in the age stakes(and probably a few stones lighter in the weight stakes!)
No beard either!
And "hailing from Scotland?"
Yes,I'm "working class."And proud of it!!!
And I'll probably be "doing this repair work"til I get carried out ward in wooden box!
No chance of retiring to sunnier climes with inflated pension and bragging about swimming pools,philanthropic missions,etc.
Why don't you go do voluntary work in Medical Facility when the boredom strikes?
Give the curries a break.
You're living there...give some payback to society that has welcomed you (and your money) so graciously!
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Following along with the jist of ST's posts and final comment - "You're living there...give some payback to society that has welcomed you (and your money) so graciously!" my question is: If you (Expat) are living in - say Luxor (or other third world place) and the place erupts due to political unrest, natural disaster, poor economy, invading zombies, whatever do you or should you contribute towards remediation of the situation? (Not your REAL home or place of birth but you DO live there) How much should you contribute? (your pension alone is, by far, more than most locals make so shouldn't you sacrifice 1 month and give it all to their cause? or is it your cause? Do you feel an obligation to do this?) And how should you contribute? (Should you go out and do the equivalent manual labour of a local? OR is giving $$ good enough)?

I don't know the protocol for being an Expat during the downtimes. You ARE a visitor in another county so what are the expectations of you?
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

As per usual ST you jump to the wrong conclusions. The old tart I referred to is not you as my friends here would confirm. An on going problem that has plagued me for several weeks and was in response to you question as to what I was doing at that moment in time, hence the other point of the compass statement. However if the cap fits... As for my bragging about the swimming pool, this is, as far as I'm concerned, a very large white elephant. My then wife wanted one, so she got one. I very rarely use it myself. If you took the time to trawl through my posts I'm proud of the fact that I am able to help the locals, and even people that I have never met, via my Egyptian friend, with donations and household items needed. I have even bought sheep for the feasts as I will be doing this year. As treating the kids the other day with a very enjoyable day out. Selfishness has never been part of my life, I enjoy giving far more than receiving but I do not feel that I have to justify it to the likes of you. You may think that the person that belittles you on points is in fact the true person in life, but nothing could be further from the truth in reality.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Dusak wrote:My then wife wanted one, so she got one.
What? So your male Dusak!?

Bugger me! (not literally).
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Never knock the power of versatility Zooropa, saved many a life if a tight space. :up
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

@Z - naa Dusak is female! How else could she have a female friend in Egypt! ;) ;) :P :P :P
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

One of the 'recently called up young village soldiers returned this weekend he popped round for a beer showing me his head wound from a toob [brick] he was happy, he got three days leave, our other pal, Ragab is still in Tahir Sq, 'now this guy is a really nice and peaceful geezer, his pal tell's me that they are totally with the anti-morsi protesters and also hoping for any peaceful solution..they hope as we hope for a better governed democratic Egypt......:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

LovelyLadyLux wrote:@Z - naa Dusak is female! How else could she have a female friend in Egypt! ;) ;) :P :P :P
For the first time in a very long time I'm actually confused. :?
dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

Dusak wrote:
LovelyLadyLux wrote:@Z - naa Dusak is female! How else could she have a female friend in Egypt! ;) ;) :P :P :P
For the first time in a very long time I'm actually confused. :?
How is it that the females on this site have to sign various coloured paper to be alone with the opposite sex and yet you have a female Egyptian friend, of course this is your private information but I was curious as well.

How is it being on the other side of the fence?
It is what it is.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'm with you DSaxelby on this one - NO WAY JOSE does DUSAK, a man, have a female Egyptian FRIEND (oh yeah wink wink nudge nudge - FRIEND - yeah right) without having a paper that makes Joseph's multicoloured coat pale in comparison.

Just doesn't happen in Egypt - meaning Dusak is a woman too

:ksd :ks :ksd
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

OK, here's the nitty gritty [especially for you ST] as I've said, whatever you want to know. I have known my Egyptian friend for six and a half years. Known her family for five years. She is thirty seven, very well educated with a very strong European outlook in life, hence she or her family having not the slightest worry or concern in her visiting me whenever she wants. Only a minor point, she is also very attractive with jet black hair that reaches her knees and easily transportable at 4.10''. What you have to consider is that I am very well respected in my area, as she is. No one has the slightest problem with her comings and goings. She would not hesitate to tell them to mind their own business if pushed. This is purely a platonic relationship, each enjoying each others company. She looks after me with all things Egyptian, making certain that not a penny more is paid than its worth. The family are well off owning some four houses and five shop units, and a very large piece of land so never am I asked for anything. Since it became common knowledge that my then wife went loony tunes and returned to the UK all around me say that we should get married [as Muslims] but we are both happy with the situation as it is. She has her own set of keys, she replaces my shopping needs without asking, never wanting to take the money. When here I am waited on hand and foot, which I don't really like as things should be sheared but she insists saying it gives her pleasure. I sit outside with my feet in a bowl of warm water and salt, getting my skin rubbed down, tow and finger nails pruned with the odd foot massage thrown in for good measure. She always dresses in Western clothes in the house, answering the door and entertaining any Egyptian friends that may call in comfort. Yes, one or two have been surprised at first seeing here in jeans and t-shirts, but they are now used to it. Most of my friends have met her and all agree that she is good for me and is a very likeable person, especially when she smiles, displaying her perfect white teeth, a rarity here in both men and women. Out side she don's the full battledress, much to her annoyance as she positively hates it. She likes colour in her life, not dowdiness. We have walked all over Luxor, never to be stopped by any numptie in a uniform demanding papers, shopping or going for a bite to eat, she always checking the amount of tip I leave and thinning it down saying its to much for not very good service or mediocre food. Many a time when meeting her friends or going into shops that we are know in, they always ask her has she married her English man yet, she always jokingly replying that I keep saying no when asked. Life is now good, with a high level of enjoyment. Apart that is when I light a cigarette, as she says they will kill me one day, or I say that I fancy a bacon butty for lunch. That's when the scowl appears, but not the denial.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

She sounds like a nice friend to have....'mabrouk.....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby »

I had a workman (local guy) come and do some drilling, I knew to leave the front door open :) , but was advised this is not enough and he should have brought his wife with him (which he should have suggested) :o

Is it as a female I would be expected to jump any man I am alone with? or is it because I am seen as a tourist?

(or is my reputation so bad already..... :lol: )
It is what it is.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Its a mark of common religious respect. If a female is alone in the home, its taken for granted that an Egyptian male, other than a direct relative, may not enter the home while she is alone. Same goes for a man if a woman visits and no other female is in attendance. If they choose to ignore this, they usually leave the door wide open making sure it can't close by itself.
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I've often wondered about the leaving the door open bit in hotels when the waiter comes in and DH isn't there. :tk I always do but is this the right thing to do?