Ken Linge - Letter from Luxor.

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

WIZARD
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Ken Linge - Letter from Luxor.

Post by WIZARD »

It has been over a decade now since Ken Linge died. Many of you who didn't know him as I did may like to read some of his writings about his beloved Egypt.

http://www.palwebs.co.uk/luxor/

WIZARD
Palwebs

Ken

Post by Palwebs »

It doesn't seem possible that more than ten years have passed since we lost Ken. I miss him every day. He was far more to me than just a brother!
I often re-read his letters online. The originals are rather faded now. It's good to know that his spirit lives on in his writing and that his words are still providing entertainment to others. He would have loved that.
Ken's love of Egypt was infectious. I hope one day to be able to return and catch up with his many friends in Luxor.

Peter.
Beryl

Post by Beryl »

How strange!

I did not know Ken Linge, neither did I know when he died. Some years ago I was pointed towards his essays on his life in and around Luxor and having read them online decided to print them off and put them in a folder. I have not given these essays any thought for a very long time and yet this morning, when looking for another folder I needed, it was the first folder that I extracted. I don't understand how it was even at the top of the pile!

As Luxor has change so much since these essays were written maybe it's time I re-read them to see the life through Ken Linges eyes.
meretseger

Post by meretseger »

I can't believe its 10 years,I still miss him so much.I often still look at his stories....noone has surpassed his descriptions of Luxor life.I sometimes wonder how he would feel about all the changes here....so many of the places we used to walk now walled off or razed to the ground.He used to visit us every week ,and spent the day, always reading one of his pieces.He always arrived with a clean gallibea to wear in the house,a tin of tuna and fresh aish fino to add to lunch,in one of his home made callico bags.I was with him watching 9/11 on the tv at the El Hussein...there wasn't one at the Amun(his Luxor window)....and on the immortalised Abydos trip with Luciano, and and and.....one of the best friends I have ever had! He helped me more than anyone else when I moved here ,with informed advice and showed me where to buy everything I needed...quite a feat in those days. Ken was so kind and so special.
meretseger
WIZARD
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by WIZARD »

Re-reading Ken's 'Letter's from Luxor' have brought back such happy memories of the time when he was alive so many years ago.
WIZARD
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

From all these kind words; he sounds like the sort of bloke we could do with here today!
WIZARD
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by WIZARD »

Teddyboy wrote:From all these kind words; he sounds like the sort of bloke we could do with here today!
You're not wrong there Teddyboy. He really was a lovely man.:) :) :)
WIZARD
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

I've had his 'Letters from Luxor' saved on my PC for many years and dip into them now and again but, how I wish someone would put some further info. on the internet about the man himself! :( What made him settle in Egypt - and Luxor, in partticular; what sort of a man was he; where did he originate from etc. I'd love to have a fuller picture in my mind of him.
Beryl

Post by Beryl »

Ruby Slippers wrote:... how I wish someone would put some further info. on the internet about the man himself! :( What made him settle in Egypt - and Luxor, in partticular; what sort of a man was he; where did he originate from etc. I'd love to have a fuller picture in my mind of him.
Why don't you email his brother. I agree with you. Some more background information would be helpful and would enhance the website.