May 2011 - Photo Competition (Contrasts)

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

May 2011 - Photo Competition (Contrasts)

Post by DJKeefy »

The Competition is now open :)

LivinginLuxor has chosen the topic for the May 2011 photo Competition.

Contrasts
(photos that show contrasts between old and new like a kid on a donkey cart using an iPhone or something like that. You could also be very creative with photos showing a lot of contrast - stark black and white for instance)

<i>Uploading photos ends midnight 25th May (Egyptian time)
Voting starts 26th May and ends midnight 31st May 2011 (Egyptian time)</i>

Upload Your Photo Here

Previous Photo Competition Winners
Last edited by DJKeefy on Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miriamkhalifa
Norway

Post by Miriamkhalifa »

Am on it :D
"One band, two oil barrels, three chords, four dreams, five lies, six ties, seven deadly sins and eight ways to stay alive. They know who you are, they know where you live, they're the Kaizers Orchestra~"
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

3 days left for uploading and only 4 photos so far :(
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Ive decided not to close the Photo Competition yet since there is only 6 photos uploaded, I think in future we should keep it open if there is under 10 photos uploaded to the comp.
Kevininabydos
Palestine

Post by Kevininabydos »

You might get more entries if the theme was a bit more original! How many times has this one been done, at least twice before if memory serves.
“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

Marcus Aurelius
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Not to my knowledge! There may have been similar ones like Egypt Old and New, but this is the first one in which the subject area is not just confined to Egypt....
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

I had hoped that by opening up the subject to 'not only Egypt' would encourage more people to enter their snaps.

The Egypt themes had pretty well been played out. I think all that is required is a little lateral thinking to fit the new subjects. There are some excellent examples already this month and I am sure more members can find something to fit.

The recent rate is around 12 entries, this has been over 30 in the past so maybe interest is waning and we should again consider giving it a rest for a while.

Or how about opening it up to a maximum of two entries per member?
Grandad :gg:
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

No don't stop the competition - I know I didn't enter last month - that was due to my deep red peony not opening until the day after uploading had been closed.

I also like Granda's suggestion of a maximum of 2 entries per member.

How about making the closing date mid-night of the last Sunday of the month - my single brain cell can cope with remembering that.

I've just spent over an hour going through 5000+ photos and I've used the widest definition of contrast I could come up with, old/new, broken/unbroken. true/false, little/large, rough/smooth, black/white (and every other contrasting colours) etc etc and there wasn't a single one that clearly showed a contrast but I have found one I'll enter.

I did have a picture planned - a white spider lily with a black asiatic lily but typically the spider lily is about to drop and the black lily won't open for a few more days
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

I'm still struggling to understand how I re-size my picture - that's why I didn't enter last month and I have a couple of pictures for this month, but wrong blessed size! :x

I'm not especially thick but have a lot on my mind at the moment and little concentration. Ho Hum, I'll have another try. :)
Smile! It confuses people
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

MD - tell us what photo program you are using and I'm sure someone one will be able to help.

There is a re-size function in the extras menu on the left of your screen but your 'original' needs to be less than 1bm
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

That seems to be a common problem MD.

I don't use the resize function in this album. I use picasa for all my pictures and use the 'Export picture to folder' function under 'File'.

That resizes for me, puts the resized picture in a new folder, usually under MyDocs so it is easy to find when I upload to the comp.....I am sure there are many ways to resize but this works for me :)
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Thanks Guys, I'm having an afternoon off, I'll see if I can get my head round it. I'm sure that it is possible even for me. :lol:
Years ago I used to do a lot of photo twiddling, but I have lost the programme I used, and now it's not available. :(
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Well I've been struggling with this for hours. :(

I've tried using MGI Photosuite 4 and Adobe photoshop elements 7.

I reduced the picture to a dot on photosuite but it was still too big.

I think I've had enough for one night. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Jayway
Portugal

Oh dear -

Post by Jayway »

Email it to a friend who can upload it for you - - good luck - -
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Anyone having problems resizing photos can send them to me at admin@luxor4u.com I will rezise the photo and then send it back to you so you can upload it yourself under your members name.
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

MD I have elements 6 and 8 so I'm assuming 7 will be the same.

1) Once you have your picture in the 'Editor' you need to click 'File'
2) Click 'Save for Web' a new window opens
3) on the right hand you will need to make sure you have the right settings - under ok , cancel, help there is a preset box - from the top box select JPEG (I use JPEG High)
4) Now staying on the right move down to 'New size' - change either the height or width to 800 pixels [whichever was the largest original size] the other size will automatically be set. Now click on 'apply'
5) click OK and save your new re-sized photo somewhere that it's easy to find.

You can now upload the picture to your l4u album or competition.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Thank you all for your help, this time I've chickened out and asked Keefy to resize for me. I will keep at it now until I have mastered it, after all it's not brain surgery is it?

I have been wondering today if it's my camera setting? I have a 14MP capacity and as it's a fairly new camera and I haven't got fully conversant with it, while writing this I took time to have a good look and found that I can change the picture size 3.5M 7.0M or 14M. I had taken the picture on it's factory setting of 14M - I guess that's the problem.

Now, I have the picture still loaded on the camera, which is a Sony Nex 5.
I wonderr if it's possible to change the picture size after it's been taken - by the camera before downloading? Nah, I don't somehow think I'm going to be that lucky.

PS I've changed the picture size in anticipation of my next months attempt. ;)
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

OK here is an easy way to resize your photos, download this free program called PIXresizer from our server (3.28meg)

http://www.4unetwork.com/PIXresizer.zip

Unpack the zip file and double click setup.exe to install this small program.

After installation run the program by double clicking on the PIXresizer icon on your desktop.

(click the photo to open full size)

1 - Click Load Picture a browser box will open up where you can browse to where your photo is stored, click on the photo you want to resize and then click open (or just double click the photo)

2 - (Select custom size) Choose Custom Size and make sure maintain aspect ratio is ticked.
If your photo is landscape then enter 800 into the 1st box, the 2nd box will adjust itself.
If your photo is portrait then enter 800 in the 2nd box, the 1st box will adjust itself.
NOTE: just make sure that the numbers in either box is no higher than 800, if one box shows higher than 800 then change the higher number to 800 the other box will adjust itself.

3 - (Select file format) - Choose JPEG

4 - Click Save picture (if you want to keep your original photo then rename the filename to something else) otherwise just overwrite your original photo.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

OK ive spent the last few days re-programming the album section, from now on photos uploaded to that section wont show your user name, it will just say Hidden, ive had to go through the recent photo block and highest rated photo block plus the random photo block so it keeps the name hidden if showing a photo from the Photo Competition section.

So the Photo Competition is now open for rating, Yes the members username is now hidden but im sure most of you will remember who posted what (In June's competition you wont know)

Rating will be closed for May's competition at midnight 5th June (Egyptian time)

The next photo competition for June and the months to follow will have the uploading and rating open till the end of the month, so the quicker you upload a photo you might get more ratings due to more people viewing your photo.

Only the TOP 5 photo winners will be revealed when they are moved into the Previous Competition Winners section at the end of the month (midnight Egyptian time)

(The rest of the photos that did not make the top 5 will not have their usernames revealed)

Dont forget, upload ONLY 1 PHOTO (I will keep checking to make sure no ones cheating) :roll:
Last edited by DJKeefy on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

That brings it pretty much into line with other online photo comps.....I like it :)

Lot of work there Keefy, cheers as always :br: