Harry Potter

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

WelshStudent
United Kingdom

Harry Potter

Post by WelshStudent »

Here we go again.... ;)

Just so we don't bog down the Twilight thread with cross-fandom discussion here's a Harry Potter one. Come on in and contribute guys...just remember to use the spoiler button. :)

So - who's going to start?

Rach
x

New Gal

Post by New Gal »

I shall!!
Spoiler
Righto then, where shall we start???

I think it should be with 'how did you get into HP and what was the first one you read'?

I had to read Prisoner of Azkaban for an elective at university called 'Children's Language and Literature' and was hooked!!!

Went out and bought the enter series and thereby starting a great love affair :D
Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
WelshStudent
United Kingdom

Post by WelshStudent »

Spoiler
I was 10 when Philosophers Stone came out but I didn't hear anything about HP until the following year. I was really ill, off school and laid out on my living room sofa. My mum came in from work having nipped to town to buy me some 'cheer up' goodies which included books. She presented me with Philosophers stone and Chamber of Secrets (which I don't think had been out that long then)...I read them both within 48 hours and wanted to know when the next one was coming out. :lol:

Prisoner of Azkaban was what really got me hooked though - I think I'd still call it my favourite of the series. The Marauders map, Remus, Sirius, Buckbeak! :)

So do you have a fave character? And why?
New Gal

Post by New Gal »

Spoiler
Again, I struggle with the casting in the films so lets not got there, I mean Gary Oldman has the handsome Sirius :?: :?: :?: :?:

In the books, Sirius is one of my favourite characters, I just love his devotion to Harry and his reckless nature, reminds me of someone I think :oops: :oops:

I love Lupin again, only the book one :P

Fred and George Weasley are ace too, they make me laugh out loud quite often as does the lovable Hagrid, the scene where he is crying over Norbert, HILARIOUS!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
WelshStudent
United Kingdom

Post by WelshStudent »

Spoiler
I do love Sirius to bits - I cried when he died. :oops: And yes...Gary Oldman - what WERE they thinking?! And the same can be said for film Lupin - really not sure about that! :s

I have a minor obsession with all things marauder era...though I have always disliked James and his treatment of Snape.

I'm not sure I can pick a fave character. The character I found the most fascinating is definitely Snape. The development and revelation of his character throughout the series is immense. I applaud JKR's skill. :)

As I said, I really love Sirius and Lupin (known affectionately a 'Limpet' in my house due to a slip of the tongue by my mum). Hagrid makes me laugh...heck I'm sitting here running through the characters and so many of them are so well thought out and developed - they are fab!

I think if forced to choose I'd pic Remus. Got a soft spot for the cutesy (book) werewolf! :oops: (Bit of a u-turn from Twilight...lol)
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

As someone who couldn't even sit through the first film for fear of vomiting, you are all talking a foreign language.

But I did have a faint thing for Hermione!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Kronkite

Post by Kronkite »

LivinginLuxor wrote:
But I did have a faint thing for Hermione!

:))) Trust you !
WelshStudent
United Kingdom

Post by WelshStudent »

LivinginLuxor wrote:As someone who couldn't even sit through the first film for fear of vomiting!
I think most fans of the books would agree with you on that one Stan ;) :lol:
frances
United Kingdom

Post by frances »

my nephew won a harry potter lookalike competition for specsavers when the books were starting to get really popular and part of his prize was the first three books! He was too young to read them so i did and fell in love with them. My favourite book is goblet of fire but its not my favourite film
Ebikatsu

Post by Ebikatsu »

Have no idea at all what the fascination is about all this stuff :?
Cannot sit through more than 10 mins of this type of thing.

One of my work mates niece was in the last movie and even that didn't move me enough to go watch it.
"I think I may have swine flu…….I've come out in rashers "

New Gal

Post by New Gal »

Ebikatsu wrote:Have no idea at all what the fascination is about all this stuff :?
Cannot sit through more than 10 mins of this type of thing.

One of my work mates niece was in the last movie and even that didn't move me enough to go watch it.
We're mostly discussing the books and not the films as they are so unbelievably bad :x :x
Spoiler
I cried loads too when Sirius died, especially a chapter or so later when Mrs Weasley hugs Harry :cry: :cry:

I also cried loads when Hedwig died, that was so sad, like Harry hadn't lost enough by this point?! :cry:

Also, Dumbledore's funeral, my god, how heartbreaking :cry:

I'm going to post this and go back and read what you've put Rach as I have forgotten... :oops:
New Gal

Post by New Gal »

Spoiler
WS I am like you, obsessed with the Marauder era and think that JK should do a whole series on them…maybe the grandkids could stumble upon some archived memories ;) :D ;) :D
EDIT: Spolier function wasn't working!
WelshStudent
United Kingdom

Post by WelshStudent »

Spoiler
Yeah - absolutely! JKR get off your butt and write Marauder era stuff! ;) :lol:

Oh and Dumbledore....alas! Alas! I remember reading that - I was sat in the garden with silent tears streaming....We seriously need help, don't we?! :lol:

And Hedwig! And DOBBY!!!! *Wails* I'm not sure I can take seeing that in the film! :oops:
New Gal

Post by New Gal »

Spoiler
Oh god I forgot about Dobby!!! I cried so much at that too!! :cry:

Mark of a good book: when theres so many instances and characters that are amazing that you can't recall them all :D
Phantom
United Kingdom

Post by Phantom »

I'm just popping in here as I've only ever seen the first film - it was OK, but a bit childish - never fancied the books at all.
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave ............

Annadongela
United Kingdom

Post by Annadongela »

I LOVE the HP films, although after reading the books and finding so much had been missed in the films became a little disappointed. Once I was hooked on the books I read them so quickly that I think perhaps I have missed much of the detail. I think the key to still liking the film is to not read the book anytime near watching the film. I am tempted to pick up the books again, but know that my enjoyment of the new film would be spoiled if I had images from the book in my head again. I think i will go see the new film and then read the books again.

I felt an enormous loss when Dumbledore died and was sure it had to be a mistake.

I wonder what they will do with the last book - I heard rumours they would make it into 2 films - I think they have to or it will need to be 6 hours long - not that I'd have a problemw ith that tho :)
WelshStudent
United Kingdom

Post by WelshStudent »

They have made it into 2 films Anna :)
Spoiler
I've heard that the split is going to be just after Ron returns - before they go to Malfoy Manor. Don't quote me on that though! ;)
Kronkite

Post by Kronkite »

:x Just come back from watching the half blood prince and i can categorically state it is codswollop,i've never been more disappointed in all my life not a patch on the book.
i knew it would be bad but Damn it was soo bad i was bored in long stretches and almost went out for a ciggie .:evil: Rant over Soz
Annadongela
United Kingdom

Post by Annadongela »

Oooh noooooo!!!

I've spent the last few nights watching all the others again so I'm back into Harry mode. Had forgotten how far off the book Order of the Phoenix was, although away from the book, still an enjoyable film.

Am dying to read half blood prince again but I know then I would be disappointed with the film.

I heard some teenagers talking tonight - they weren't too impressed either :(
Kronkite

Post by Kronkite »

Waste of a good six pound eighty if you ask me Grrrrrrrrr