The Twilight Series

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

New Gal

Post by New Gal »

My god, you both are too clever for your own goods! I don't know how to do that spoiler thingy so can I put up my analysis or not??

Its going to be a long 'un but will be coming later or tomorrow, moved desks at work and now EVERYONE can see my damn screen :x

Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
WelshStudent
United Kingdom

Post by WelshStudent »

Hey NG - make sure when you put your post up that you use the 'post reply' button rather than 'quick reply' and somewhere at the top right of your reply box will be a 'spoiler' button. Just type you analysis, highlight it and then click the 'spoiler' button and it should be hidden just like ours. ;)
New Gal

Post by New Gal »

Will try that then, thanks hun! x
Dignity comes not from control, but from understanding who you are and taking your rightful place in the world.
New Gal

Post by New Gal »

Spoiler
I LOVE Edward, yes hes a fictional character but I think he really embodies that old romance that I like and wish I could have I guess! When he left in New Moon, I was nearly as devastated as Bella was (probably reminded me of my own great love who left and abandonment as a theme is something we should probably discuss later??) even though I was angry for him doing so, I kind of knew the reason behind it. He was obviously so affected by Jasper’s pounce after Bella’s paper cut at the birthday celebration that he felt like the only way she could live as normal a life as possible was if he was as far away as he could be.

I think Edward as a character, is a fab mixture of mazing qualities like his immense protective nature towards Bella as well as flaws such as his inappropriate anger towards Alice when she fails to ‘see’ the vampire tracking Bella.

Edwards fascination with Bella and everything she does, her likes and dislikes and immense curiosity with mundane things about her such as her repeated reading if ‘Wuthering Heights’ is the stuff of great love stories, no doubt but that coupled with his sense of humour as WS said and his great admiration for his family and especially Carlisle make him the kind of guy you just wish you could end up with. Yes I know, its never going to happen but a girl can hope! And dream. And pray. And wish upon a shooting star.
Jacob…ah what to say about him. Most of us have known a Jacob at some point in our lives, an annoying friend who you tend to treat like one of the family who then turns around and tells you he wants to be with you shock horror!

He has grown on me though throughout the series, his tenderness towards Bella which is totally at odds with his wolfish ways and determination to rip most people apart. I love his sarcasm too and his attempts at annoying Edward, that scene when the three are in the tent and he warms Bella up, turns to her and says something like, “do you want me to warm your lips up tooâ€
New Gal

Post by New Gal »

Ooooh I did it!
WelshStudent
United Kingdom

Post by WelshStudent »

Yey! *claps* Well done!
Spoiler
Yeah I agree NG - Edward is the kind of guy we wish we could end up with...I can't help it, I'm an old fashioned romantic! I think many guys could learn a lot from Edward. :lol:

That was something I missed in my quick analysis - the way that Edward is always so keen and interested in even the most mundane of things that Bella does. I love his fascination with watching her sleep and her sleep-talking. The conversation about that in Twilight makes me laugh everytime - I am a notorious sleep talker...I get endless digs about it from friends who I've roomed with and even my mum sometimes! It's such an embarrassing thing to know you may be muttering your innermost thoughts in your sleep! :oops: I always think it's appropriate and sweet that Bella tells Edward she loves him as she sleep-talks. :)

I've been thinking about how important a part Bella's mind plays in the story...how, not only has she got this 'closed' mind as a human, and is unable to affected by the mental powers of gifted vampires - she also has an incredibly active and creative imagination, with her frequently vivid dreams through from Edward and the wolf to the immortal children. I often wonder if having such an active imagination plays a part in why people sleep talk? I've always been ridiculously imaginative, and feel sometimes that I talk in my sleep more when I've not found an outlet for whatever my imagination is dreaming up during my waking hours. Lol. :lol:
New Gal

Post by New Gal »

Spoiler
I'm not sure whether I sleep talk as such but I do have really vivid dreams where I can remember the smallest details, gestures and what people say, wear, do and where we are for years after! This mornings dream for instance (I always wake at 3ish and then go back to sleep, its very annoying) I keep thinking back to and I can remember people's smiles, how weird is that!

By the way, I have spoilerfied this (my very own term), it didn’t need to be I guess but I did anyway! x
WelshStudent
United Kingdom

Post by WelshStudent »

Ah you're just addicted to eh spoilers now you know how to do it! ;)

So, thus I pose a new question! Who is your fave Cullen (with the exception of Edward) and why?

:)
frances
United Kingdom

Post by frances »

i am reading new moon and trying really hard not to read your spoilers!!!!!"!!!

I am in love with edward:oops: but he is hardly in this book:cry:
WelshStudent
United Kingdom

Post by WelshStudent »

Ah another one to join our Edward Addicts not-so-anonymous! :) ;)

Keep goin' frances! Let us know how you liked NM when you've finished it!
New Gal

Post by New Gal »

WelshStudent wrote:Ah you're just addicted to eh spoilers now you know how to do it! ;)

So, thus I pose a new question! Who is your fave Cullen (with the exception of Edward) and why?

:)
Answer to your question is below!
Spoiler
I don't know if I have one, I mean, I love the way Alice is totally devoted to Bella having every human experience as possible but other than that, I am not that keen on her. Maybe its the casting in the film to be fair, all the Cullens have been miscast. I do like Emmett's masculinity and teasing of Bella, but again, thats exclusive to the books!
frances
United Kingdom

Post by frances »

i finished new moon yesterday morning and i am on p200 of eclipse. I didnt like it very much because it was all about jacob and edward is hardly in it. I find jacob annoying that boy needs to grow up!!lol
New Gal

Post by New Gal »

frances wrote:i finished new moon yesterday morning and i am on p200 of eclipse. I didnt like it very much because it was all about jacob and edward is hardly in it. I find jacob annoying that boy needs to grow up!!lol
Ahh give him time...hes only a baby in New Moon!

Eclipse is my favourite, enjoy Frances xxx
WelshStudent
United Kingdom

Post by WelshStudent »

Yeah - give Jake some time! I didn't like him at all at first and now I think he's fab. He makes me laugh a lot! Big dull mutt! :lol: :)

Right...the Cullens!
Spoiler
Well NG I see what you're saying about Alice but I do really like her. I enjoy her sisterly relationship with Edward, especially in MS. I agree about the film, though I think Carlise was pretty well cast and I quite like film-Jasper, and to be fair he hasn't had much chance to do anything yet!

In the books - which are what really count - my fave Cullen, I think, is Em - he makes me laugh! I love the teasing relationship that he and Bella develop and how he always says what he's thinking. :)

I admire Carlise for his strength, shown through his resistance of the bloodlust and his determination to not be a monster and his forming of the 'family' rather than just a hunting clan of vamps. Also his dedication to medicine and efforts to overcome his natural instincts to help others and to use his superfast reactions and vampiric senses to save human life which may have been lost otherwise. He's pretty awesome in my book! :)
Rach
New Gal

Post by New Gal »

Spoiler
Really ?? I think they are all badly cast, doesn’t film Jasper look really young to you ?
WelshStudent
United Kingdom

Post by WelshStudent »

Spoiler
Yeah, he does look really young...but I'm going to give him a chance I think. ;) He's not like I imagined Jazz at all...but then again they cast R.P. as Edward....lets not even go there! :lol:
New Gal

Post by New Gal »

Spoiler
Yeah hes not exactly beautiful, old RP is he?! My 14 year old brat sister would disagree though, first crush and all that :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I don’t think he did that bad in the film though, which bloke would EVER live up to Edward?? Big ask!

I thought Charlie was cast really well though and the film as a whole wasn’t a bad adaptation as adaptations go!

The Harry Potter films disturb me beyond belief :x …started Goblet AGAIN last night, getting ready for the release of Half Blood Prince next week, will have read them all by then!
WelshStudent
United Kingdom

Post by WelshStudent »

Spoiler
Ah - you speak the truth! Edward is Edward...Though yeah RP did quite a good job. :)

Charlie = awesome! He gains major points just for the scene with the gun! 'Bring him in!' :lol: :lol: :lol:

HP...don't even get me started. :x Prisoner of Azkaban...that will give me nightmares forever more! :x I am looking forward to HBP though - can't help it! :lol: Got me tickets booked and all! :lol:

Anyway...Twilight! (I can see us having a Harry Potter thread now.... :lol: ) Do you have any Twilight songs? Playlists? I'm such a music geek and lyrics fanatic that I tend to link songs to things... :oops:
New Gal

Post by New Gal »

Spoiler
- Getting myself a new iPod/iPhone/mobile AND lap top for the big move so have limited stuff to listen to :cry:

- I do like the background score and theme that plays throughout though

- HP films, they are BAD :x but still, like you, getting excited about HBP, need to book tickets too but quite a few going who need to pull out fingers and let me know when we are going cos I CAN'T WAIT!

- Charlie and that scene, FAB :lol:
New Gal

Post by New Gal »

P.S. Love how its just spoiler after spoiler now on here!