Egyptair Luggage

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chris
Egypt

Egyptair Luggage

Post by Chris »

I have been following the many complaints on Twitter about the failure of Egyptair to deliver customers' luggage and also Egyptair's failure to reply to requests for help in locating luggage.

I am not sure if this is relating to flights from Heathrow.

As I am returning to my home in Luxor in 4 weeks I am worried that my luggage will disappear.

Has anyone travelling from Heathrow recently had any problems with undelivered luggage?

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Re: Egyptair Luggage

Post by crewmeal »

I'm off to Luxor on Monday and wondering the same thing. I spoke to my tour guide in Luxor and asked about baggage. He told me no customers had lost their cases travelling from Heathrow.

There is only so much you can pack in hand luggage which doesn't include toiletries.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

One of the great advantages of having a permanent abode in Egypt is the ability to travel with only hand luggage, thus saving umpteen £, getting through airports quickly and not having to worry about the airline losing your cases 8)
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

newcastle wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:41 pm One of the great advantages of having a permanent abode in Egypt is the ability to travel with only hand luggage, thus saving umpteen £, getting through airports quickly and not having to worry about the airline losing your cases 8)
Yes - but I'm a WOMAN ! How on earth can I be expected to travel back with just HAND luggage - I've been shopping for 4 mths for Heavens Sake! 4 mths! Including ALL the sales!
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I don't know the details, but I understand that you can now buy a luggage tracker gadget. You pop it in to your case and can track it's progress or whereabouts on your phone or computer. It might be worth looking in to.

Of course, if you've arrived in Egypt and your luggage hasn't, knowing that it is still in your departure airport or in Singapore/Outer Mongolia/Timbuktu ... is probably not a lot of comfort, but it would at least give you some ammunition to use when the airline assure you your luggage can't be found anywhere.

I still remember vividly my first ever flight - to Ouagadougou in Burkina Faso. I arrived but my rucksack didn't. I ended up on a wild goose chase going to the airport every day to search for it. I then moved on by road to Niamey in Niger and went daily to the airport there to check as the Ougadougou airport staff had assured me my ruck sack had been found and they would forward it to Niger for me. It was about 6 months later when I was finally reunited with my rucksack, which reeked of aviation fuel. The only thing left in it were a pile of Sunday newspapers that my friends in BF had requested I take out to them.
One lesson I learnt from that experience was to always take a photograph of my cases and any other bags I might be travelling with. That way it is an easier and more accurate way of describing anything that goes missing.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:29 pm
One lesson I learnt from that experience was to always take a photograph of my cases and any other bags I might be travelling with. That way it is an easier and more accurate way of describing anything that goes missing.
A bit like carrying photos of your children, nearest & dearest etc.

Just in case there’s some disaster and you never see them again. :ct
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I don't carry photographs of family or friends. Thinking about it, it would actually be a good idea to have an up to date photograph of travelling companions in case something unfortunate happened.
As a general rule, when I do travel with a friend, we tend to give each other a copy of our passport details and also our travel insurance details.
-Aldous Huxley
crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal »

I don't know the details, but I understand that you can now buy a luggage tracker gadget. You pop it in to your case and can track it's progress or whereabouts on your phone or computer. It might be worth looking in to.
Yes it's called an Apple Air Tag available on Amazon for £27. As I have an iPhone it works well, however look at the Gadget show review on air tags

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnRzBYv-oXI
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:49 pm I don't carry photographs of family or friends. Thinking about it, it would actually be a good idea to have an up to date photograph of travelling companions in case something unfortunate happened.
As a general rule, when I do travel with a friend, we tend to give each other a copy of our passport details and also our travel insurance details.

Good idea….particularly if travelling to the wilds of West Africa. You’re lucky you weren’t eaten…or didn’t end up in some local chief’s harem :lol:
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:18 am
Good idea….particularly if travelling to the wilds of West Africa. You’re lucky you weren’t eaten…or didn’t end up in some local chief’s harem :lol:

I worked at an agricultural college in those days. Let's just say the Principal was very interested when word got to him my worth in camels. He was a very forward thinking man, always open to diversifying and improving the stock and skill at the collage. :a21:

To be honest, volatile though it could be, and getting stuck in a Coup D'Etat was no joke, I'd take West Africa any day over Luxor and the gauntlet with the gigolos.
-Aldous Huxley