November 1922..

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

November 1922..

Post by Who2 »

Or thereabouts....

Nick reminded me it's a 100 years since Carter and Tomb 62.
He sent me this telegraph article.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/0 ... t-getting/

Back in 2005, I was playing Arthur Weigall when the actor playing Mace gave me 'A Passion for Egypt' all about Weigall.

Old Arthur reckoned Carter & Carnarvon where nicking stuff,
he should know as he was once Inspector of Antiquities for Upper Egypt.

Anyhow, here's me dressed as Arthur....

Plus: I'm getting paid an extra £50 quid here just playing Howard Carter's hands on his map of the valley
and all during a lunch break, plus nicking one of his 2 victorian cigarette holders.
A souvenir.. actors per diems...

The guy who took that picture of me Monty, was playing Burton the photographer..... 8)

Ps: And...... It's pronounced Veigall not Weigall small point!

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: November 1922..

Post by A-Four »

Who2 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:53 pm [media][/media]Old Arthur reckoned Carter & Carnarvon where nicking stuff,
he should know as he was once Inspector of Antiquities for Upper Egypt.
Arthur Weigall was a bit of a jack the lad character and was certainly very street wise. He knew of all the items that were stolen from the Tutankhamoun tomb.

As history informs us Howard Carter said that the items, which were secretly got out of the country were part of the Egyptian system known as 'division', though this most certainly did not apply to the King's Valley, which he and Lord Carnarvon knew very well.

I wonder if come this November, there will a tv program that will really tell the whole truth about what happened immediately after those first couple of steps were discovered exactly 100 years ago.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

A-Four wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:53 pm I wonder if come this November, there will a tv program that will really tell the whole truth about what happened immediately after those first couple of steps were discovered exactly 100 years ago.
It seems that The Guardian could not wait for November, for the truth to be leaked out about Carter, but there is far more to this story than what they have published, probably a tv program after all.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The Guardian article referred to by A-Four:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... e-suggests

Somewhat more intriguing, at least to me, was a recent TV programme on the 5th Earl Carnarvon’s great friend Duleep Singh…..the exiled Maharajah of the Sikh empire.

Allegedly, he had an affair with Almina, the 5th Earl’s wife, and was the father of her son…the 6th Earl…. casting doubt on the position of the current earl and his family!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/arti ... -wife.html

http://theesotericcuriosa.blogspot.com/ ... angle.html
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I've got to admit one of the highpoints in my life..worth a few pages...
Acting, surrounded by excellent artifact copies, a BBC bar account, nice interesting people..

Oh! and £50 quid a day and a free lunch.
All my mates and a few of them were on earners had a great time..

Anyhow after the gift of 'A Passion for Egypt" my interest has never waned.... 8)

Ps: I spotted Howard Carter aka Stuart Graham playing the Ulsterman in The Great Train Robbery last week..
Pss: The Cairo Museum bought the copies after the filming, that's the one's that were not 'lost!
P*ss: Even Tutankhamun's Gold leaved head costing 12k went missing...not a-lot of people talk about that.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Who2 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:41 pm Pss: The Cairo Museum bought the copies after the filming, that's the one's that were not 'lost!
P*ss: Even Tutankhamun's Gold leaved head costing 12k went missing...not a-lot of people talk about that.
Good point here my dear Dr, which probably accounts for my remark on here at the time, when a certain B.B.C. senior manager made the comment about the £15,000,000 production cost, and I quote, 'It will be a long time before the B.B.C. will be back in Egypt'.

Having said that, I see the crazy Story in The Guardian, where someone is hoping to make a fortune by telling us that Howard Carter stole items from the famous tomb,.........when in truth, the REAL story took over 50 years to come out. It seems to start in an Agatha Christie fashion of,.......what the butler saw.

I wonder if anyone will pick up on that ?
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

"P*ss: Even Tutankhamun's Gold leaved head costing 12k went missing...not a-lot of people talk about that."
King Tut 1.JPG
Here it is, actually getting packed up to go to Berlin!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.