Returning Egypt’s “stolen” heritage

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Returning Egypt’s “stolen” heritage

Post by newcastle »

The upcoming anniversary of the discovery of the tomb of Tutankhamun, and the opening of the GEM, will undoubtedly reawaken the clamour for Egypt’s “ stolen” heritage to be returned.

There was a well-written article on the subject in 2019.

“The nuances of repatriation: Should the British Museum return its Egyptian collection?”

Analysis 13 min read
Ali Abbas Ahmadi
13 December, 2019

, https://english.alaraby.co.uk/analysis/ ... collection

crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Re: Returning Egypt’s “stolen” heritage

Post by crewmeal »

If it belongs to Egypt then we should return it as an act of good faith.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

crewmeal wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:55 am If it belongs to Egypt then we should return it as an act of good faith.
The problem is how to define “belongs to Egypt”.

Before 1920 it was more or less a free for all, with no laws or regulations governing the sale or removal of antiquities. Where it can be shown that items were removed subsequently, without the requisite permission, then there is an unanswerable case for their return.

The issue of whether an object “ belongs” to a country simply because it was made, or found, there is under constant debate.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

I suppose it's a bit like the Elgin Marbles that were sold to the British in 1816. I don't think we've given them back yet.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

crewmeal wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:36 pm I suppose it's a bit like the Elgin Marbles that were sold to the British in 1816. I don't think we've given them back yet.
Or the Rosetta Stone….which we confiscated from the French who were about to cart it off to Paris.

There’s Egyptian obelisks scattered all over Europe…and in New York. Some were “gifts” from the Egyptian ruler, others carted off centuries ago by the Romans. Where do you stop?
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Since looting has been going on for millenium whilst people bury valuable things,
I reckon it will continue be it National Museums or the west bank farmer.

All will eventually return to the source of it's arising.
So, let one and all enjoy it whilst they may.

There is loads more under the 'sands of time' yet to be discovered........ 8)

Ps: I hold a certain admiration for the copyist or as they say "one man's forger is another man's.....
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

crewmeal wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:55 am If it belongs to Egypt then we should return it as an act of good faith.
There needs to be a little understanding about 'treasures' that have been found in the likes of Egypt, which I will try to help about such finds there.

In the U.K., if you was to take a gold and leather strap retro Rotary watch into a pawn shop, you would be offered around £100, being told its true value was in the gold only. Within 15 minutes It would be in their window as a 9ct gold 1960 Rotary automatic 21 Jewel watch......£399.

Howard Carter worked on the WB in a similar fashion up until he started work in the King's Valley for Lord Carnarvon. If any Egyptian worker found such an item of quality they themselves would melt down the gold and then attempt to sell. However if they were caught, they would not only lose their home, but also their surrounding neighbours homes too, as it was assumed such treasure came from a tomb below their homes. (Similar practise still exist today, and no compensation.)

Howard Carter was well known in the hills of the WB for offering a good system for purchasing items by workers on digs, especially in the King's Valley. Many of the items of Carter's collections were bought by the likes of J.P.Morgan for The Met in New York. However, while Theodore Davis had the concession in the Valley, Carter continued keeping his 'shop' open, and during this period he was able to purchase three small, but vital items stolen from Davis's excavations that proved Tutankhamoun was buried in the King's Valley. That is why Carter was so keen to persuade Lord Carnarvon to take on a new concession in the Valley the moment Davis gave up his,.......the rest is history.

My point here, is that the reason that so little of great value in Egypt is found even up to today is simply because the authorities there will not compensate people for such small finds that could so easily produce such magnificent discoveries. I have, during my time in Egypt have seen a number of beautiful items, evidently from tombs that were to be melted down, and with it is lost the possibility to find a great discovery.

Even today, archaeologists working on the WB expect their workers to hand over such small finds, even though they are paid such poor daily wages, so it is very rare this happens, perhaps they should learn something from the great man of his time,......Flinders Petrie.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Talking of repatriating Egypt’s artefacts, there was an interesting program tonight on the PBS America channel covering the rescue of Egyptian temples by UNESCO after the flooding of the Nile valley resulting from the High Dam construction at Aswan.

I imagine most people have seen film of the relocation of the temples at Abu Simbel. Less familiar might be the moving of the Isis Temple from Philae Island to the nearby Agilkia Island.

Even less well known is the story of how four more temples ended up being dismantled and taken to New York, Madrid, Turin and Leiden (Netherlands) in gratitude for the contribution of these countries to the rescue project.

https://www.messynessychic.com/2021/05/ ... t-the-met/

It would be unthinkable for Egypt to demand the return of these items….or indeed the equally dispersed obelisks. I’m not sure why the Rosetta Stone is that different…..it might be considered a reward for Britain rescuing Egypt from the clutches of Napoleon!

There some truth in the claim that the bust of Nefertiti was taken from Egypt under false pretences,… and, with the GEM opening soon, it would be nice to see it returned,….even on long term loan .