Luxor’s Golden City

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Luxor’s Golden City

Post by newcastle »

Unfortunately I haven’t had a chance to visit this yet….not that I’d be allowed too close…but it looks impressive.

Apologies for foisting Hawass onto you…but the video is interesting.

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Re: Luxor’s Golden City

Post by BBLUX »

We drove round past it yesterday for a quick look after a rubbish lunch at the Marsam. I have to say I was most underwhelmed. Did not bother to get out and look at it!

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Looks like some sort of workers village to me. 🤔

I thought that had been partially uncovered almost 100 years ago. ?
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I believe there is a great mis-understanding about this whole area including Malkata, Stan and I would often argue over the idea that this place was a Royal winter palace, while I believed it was a Royal hunting lodge and administration authority. The 'new discovered' village would have been the homes of its officials.

It is my belief that this area some 4,000 years ago would have been as green as the the South Downs in England today, perhaps even a forest. Anyone who has been in that area at night, during November, December and January will often feel a very sharp cold wind that blows in from the West, depositing sand everywhere in the homes of the modern day.

It's funny that we can not imagine what was before, when we look today.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

There are some very inconvenient truths in this world if one is prepared to look and think outside the box. But that there wall was never meant to be climbed over, less one fears ridicule. Which I don't. 😎
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Always entertaining to read the thoughts of Mystic Meg and the West Bank roadsweeper on matters egyptological :lol:

The likes of Professor Salima Ikram et al must be wondering why they spent all those years at university and on digs when any old fool can can see that they’ve got it completely wrong! :a14:
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Being totally honest did deep enough just about anywhere in Egypt and you will find old things.

Really old things. Considering that about 107 billion people have ever lived, and died that have to be somewhere.
Go deep into the desert where lakes were once find relics and fossils they are everywhere.
Mummies in their hundreds in burial mounds ripped to pieces by desert animals.

Try digging up my garden, pound to a penny you will find something old.
A famous media egyptologist threatened me once with the dreaded 'antiquities squad for saying,
"local kids offered antiquites for sweets" it's true the pr*ck.

Stan used to knock on about a pyramid somewhere over past Carter's House, I had my doubts..

One of the things about 'living in luxor is It attracts the worlds 'thinkers 'feelers and 'nutters for
millenia in their droves..oh! and the sun shines.... 8)

Ps: "A pair of granite grinding stones next to a dried up lake aged twixt 5000bc to 30000bc
out toward the libyan desert:
Pss: I had 10 teeth from a huge 'swimming bitey thing once I found in the desert.
They made nice gifts...

P*st:.."don't get lost in the desert, it's a big big place...lol

And a rather nice picture of 'my darling Clementine"
leading Wilma the water carrier...

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Just realised it's Ramadan as our local shop was closed.
So Kol Sana wenta tayyeb كُل سنة و إنت طيب

The prophet on his way to Mecca:
Location of picture: The Old Winter Palace, Regency Room.

Ps: Don't blame me for the above depiction, as 'I'm only the Messenger.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

I am convinced that highly intelligent civilisations have lived on many continents on this earth in the past, and while thier technology may not have been the same as ours, they had the ability to achieve great things with what must have been relatively little effort.
Manipulation of stone is one of them, wether this was chemically or by sone other means it's clear that they understood things we know nothing about.

I struggle with the concept that the Sahara desertified millions of years ago, as per the claim of academia. There has been a global catastrophy that may have been cashed by a single event, but then triggered other events, which ultimately left this world and the remains inhabitants staring at a whole new word that was not the world they knew.
If we say that all these great structures from the past really were just temples and tombs, then that has to reflect a society that can afford such luxuries and make them relevant to the masses.
As regards to Egypt in particular it is clear that it was indeed a lush Savannah in the time of what I call the true ancients and not the imposters that came along later and built upon and changed much of what the ancients left behind.
So why even attempt to hide what the true ancients were doing and how they lived ? Why not accept that yes they were very clever in the past and sadly a natural event cause a change that meant they could no longer inhabit these places anymore, and that event sent us back to the stone age, which lets face it, we know the stone age is not true, some may have lived like that when we compare the west today with sone tribes in a remote area in the back end of nowhere.
So was this global catastrophy in fact caused by mankind, and there is for some reason a need to hide that knowledge. ?

Maybe we have been given a second chance, and we are having to take the long road home. ?

I have never really accepted any religion as the truth, but many of them do speak of things so fantastic that at the time they were written, up until maybe the last 80 years, that we can now relate to such events as the destruction of soddom and gamorrah and the need for Lot and his family to get out of there with such urgency, as they knew what was coming.
If one reads that story about what happened, then one could easily relate that to a modern day nuclear attack or atomic explosion.

The Mahabharata. It's story of devastation, with entries that appear to precisely portray the impacts and repercussions of an atomic war.

Enormous blasts “more brilliant than a thousand suns” were recorded, just as cadavers consumed to the point that they were unrecognisable,. Just like Lot's wife who wasn't at the other side of the mountain when God reigned fire and brimstone down on the city.

Of course, what they did see was the aftermath of all the debris that would have been sucked up in the vacuum of the void left by such an explosion high into the sky, then igniting as it was given oxygen and fell back to where it came from.

How much of a civilisation and it's true size would be left after that ? Not much.

The everyday people living in Egypt would of course have lived in Adobe homes, so they would very quickly dissolve over time, and leave little trace as to the true number of houses and people living in that area, and of course, after such a devastating event, the people would have no choice but to migrate out of those lush fields to the river banks to eek out a life and living

The elite would have course succumbed to the devastation, and any knowledge that they had would be useless to them in this new world, and that knowledge would have died out very quickly. Even if these series of devastating events were indeed just natural having being triggered from something like a meteor strike, that may well have then triggered a tsunami or 2 and earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.