Canal Coving ?

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Canal Coving ?

Post by Who2 »

Can anybody please supply a picture of the machine that is laying this coving.
On the West Bank.

It will explain how much temporary land will be required. 'cheers..... 8)
Ps: And perhaps the timeline involved. qed.

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Morocco

Re: Canal Coving ?

Post by John Landon »

It makes sense. Mud walls will cave in eventually and flood the land. Mostly with rubbish last time I looked in the canal on the WB.

It seems odd though why they are doing this after all these years. Maybe the coving is just being laid in a soon to be key area. 🤔
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Who2 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:07 am Can anybody please supply a picture of the machine that is laying this coving.
On the West Bank.

It will explain how much temporary land will be required. 'cheers..... 8)
Ps: And perhaps the timeline involved. qed.
On one of my last walks over there I saw a load of these stacked at various intervals along one canal, the only machine I saw close by was a long reach JCB, the same they use for dredging the canals, and seeing this embankment walling it would make future dredging difficult in my oppinion, but this is Egypt, so let's do the expensive job today and discover we can no longer keep the canal system clear of weeds and debris later.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Cheers Dusak, although Nick has been there for 2 months he has not taken any pictures.
The pictures depicted have been taken by Pop up Walks and one can see my problem.

As I have said to Nick, why should I worry about a situation I can do nothing about.
It's Egypt, I'll worry about it when I'm there. Who needs stress ?.... 8)

Ps: Anyhow I passed over ownership to him over 3 years ago, his turn to worry...
Sophocles.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

I posted this on the Facebook group, I don't know if it helps with part of your question.

Google translated:

Luxor completes the canals lining project.. The plan includes lining about 338 km at a cost of 1.4 billion pounds

Luxor Governorate is working in full swing daily on projects of the presidential initiative "A Dignified Life", which is the national project for the development of Egyptian villages under the auspices of President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi. Rehabilitation and lining of canals and drains is one of the most important national projects launched by President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi in all governorates of Egypt, which contributes to rationalizing and reducing water losses that are wasted in the water network, in order to achieve a saving in irrigation water of about 5 billion cubic meters annually.

Form his part, Engineer Asaad Mostafa, advisor to the governor of Luxor for national projects and supervisor of the "Decent Life" initiative, says that Luxor Governorate is working in full swing and with special attention to implement 23 lining rehabilitation operations that it started on September 10, 2020, with all works to be completed on August 31, 2022. The total lengths required to be implemented 435,575 km with a financial appropriation of 1,442,80042 thousand pounds, and the total lengths implemented in km from the beginning of the project until September 2021, about 206.136, where 8 canals were completed by 100%, which are Al-Ziniya canals with a length of 0.750 km, and the mountain canal from Mouth To the end, under the control of the Water Resources and Irrigation Engineering in Armant, with a length of 8,450 km, Al Salamiya Al Qibli Canal with a length of 8.614 km, Al Salamiyah Marine Canal with a length of 8.66 km, and Sahel Al-Shaghb Canal, 4,300 km, Al Jabal Canal with Esna Engineering, with a length of 2,650 km, and Al Kayman Canal with a length of 2,830 km; The coastal canal is 5,650 km long.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Cheers Keefy, I read it when you posted it on FB..
Say's a lot about what ? in my book they will do what they want, when they want and to hell
with anybody.
I learnt alot about egyptian thinking, and to understand them and love them.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073341/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Peachy Carnehan: Now, now Danny. Different countries, different ways.

"Why worry ? be happy, be lucky...I'm off to Cafe Kick for an espresso plus a paper.
Fifa have been filming something the last two days, I find out what.. 8)
Sophocles.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I don't like football never did..

Anyhow, FIFA those crooks that run footy have a new money making scheme....
https://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/commercial/fifa-tv

Next 4 weeks each for 2 days they will be filming, good money if you can get it.... 8)

Cafe Kick: 'back in their early days....

Ps: The 'schoolgirl drinking milk at the bar is Camilla Rutherford.
'a local girl camden, actress, toker and drinker.

Pss: The old actress is Anita Pallenberg,
she who loved 'mars bars, god rest her wonderful soul.
"She lived her life to the full"
Sophocles.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

No special machines. Just a JCB and a concrete mixture. Lots of labour involved, but they seem to have been completing sections quite quickly.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy »

@Who2

The new Delta and Toshka are preparing millions of acres for desert reclamation.. This requires thousands of kilometers of canals. Egypt imported these giant machines to dig and line the canals. Everything will be in Egypt, God willing 🇪🇬🇪🇬🇪🇬

FB_IMG_1653690043905.jpg

الدلتا الجديده و توشكا بيتم تجهيز ملايين الأفدنه لاستصلاح الصحراء ..
وده يلزمه آلاف الكيلو مترات من الترع مصر استوردت الماكينات العملاقه دي لحفر وتبطين الترع
كل حاجة ح تكون في مصر بإذن الله 🇪🇬🇪🇬🇪🇬
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I was told about this project a few weeks back took it with a grain of salt lol. I'm happy to see that it was correct. Various desert regions are doing similar projects with successful results the only problems I can see is the supply of water needed to maintain the quantity needed as I imagine there would be substantial loss due to evaporation and the constant need to dredge these canals of sand that is bound to get blown into them. Maybe they will be enclosed as an end product. Its come at the right time I think taking into consideration the war in the Ukraine Egypt like other African countries are now losing much needed grain imports.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I'm not sure about the Delta project, but although a couple of years ago the Toshka project seemed almost impossible they have able to smash through the vast amount of granite that prevented progress on the future new channel through there, work is now progressing well.

Much is being written about the lack of progress on the diplomatic front with regards the new Ethiopian dam, where it has now completed it third stage of building, and therefore again water through the Nile Valley will again be reduced. However, Egypt is obviously preparing for when that dam has built its final stage five, in a couple of years when Nile flow will return to normal.

With regards to gain production, the government in Egypt has banned all exports, I read a couple of weeks ago that a large shipment of grain purchased from Ukraine was passing through the Black Sea, no news though on whether it actually got to Egypt.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Whilst wishing them luck, I think Egypt has bitten off more than it can chew with these desert reclamation projects.

They require an enormous amount of monetary investment, water ( of course) and strong political will.

With all the problems Egypt is currently experiencing - high debt interest, food insecurity, continuing water insecurity - the odds are against these projects coming to a satisfactory conclusion.

Let’s hope I’m wrong.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

A-Four wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:26 am I'm not sure about the Delta project, but although a couple of years ago the Toshka project seemed almost impossible they have able to smash through the vast amount of granite that prevented progress on the future new channel through there, work is now progressing well.

Much is being written about the lack of progress on the diplomatic front with regards the new Ethiopian dam, where it has now completed it third stage of building, and therefore again water through the Nile Valley will again be reduced. However, Egypt is obviously preparing for when that dam has built its final stage five, in a couple of years when Nile flow will return to normal.

With regards to gain production, the government in Egypt has banned all exports, I read a couple of weeks ago that a large shipment of grain purchased from Ukraine was passing through the Black Sea, no news though on whether it actually got to Egypt.
According to the news the grain shipment attempted to dock at Alexandria but was refused and sent on it's way to who knows where. So thumbs up to Egypt for refusing a much needed import at what I can only guess at, a reduced cost. Russia states that the millions of tonnes of grain can be shipped out as long as Ukraine de-mines the port waters, Ukraine has refused to do this. So the world slowly starves.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Russia states that the millions of tonnes of grain can be shipped out as long as Ukraine de-mines the port waters, Ukraine has refused to do this
What a load of rubbish! As if Ukraine would mine waters required for the exports it so desperately needs to ship and receive payment.

According to Ukraine, the ship refused at Alexandria was a Russian vessel loaded with grain stolen from Russian- controlled areas of Ukraine. No wonder the Egyptians sent it packing :lol:
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Must say I was surprised just how much grain Egypt imports.
And they used to be 'the bread-basket of the roman world.... 8)

Ps: Mrs Queen had a good day:
I just spotted the deliberate mistake!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sophocles.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Dusak wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:48 am According to the news the grain shipment attempted to dock at Alexandria but was refused and sent on it's way to who knows where. So thumbs up to Egypt for refusing a much needed import at what I can only guess at, a reduced cost. Russia states that the millions of tonnes of grain can be shipped out as long as Ukraine de-mines the port waters, Ukraine has refused to do this. So the world slowly starves.
The mines around the once Ukraine ports placed there by Ukraine at the start of this war, have now been cleared by the Russians, though another grain shipment for Egypt still remains in port there.

In the past few days Egypt has signed agreements to purchase grain from Russia, Bulgaria and Romania, in total almost 500,000 tones on the international market. However, the new price is 40% higher than the shipment still waiting to leave Ukraine, and the other shipment that Dusak above mentions, which seems to have gone elsewhere.

Egypt's government bond market for the £LE now stands at 18%, inflation is already above 14%, (so they say),it will easily be 20% plus very soon,........expect another devaluation very soon.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

newcastle wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:56 pm
Russia states that the millions of tonnes of grain can be shipped out as long as Ukraine de-mines the port waters, Ukraine has refused to do this
What a load of rubbish! As if Ukraine would mine waters required for the exports it so desperately needs to ship and receive payment.

According to Ukraine, the ship refused at Alexandria was a Russian vessel loaded with grain stolen from Russian- controlled areas of Ukraine. No wonder the Egyptians sent it packing :lol:
Yesterday the Ukrainian government confirmed that their sea lanes and port approaches have been mined and stated that they will not be removed.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Yesterday the Ukrainian government confirmed that their sea lanes and port approaches have been mined and stated that they will not be removed.
Insofar as the mines were laid by the Ukrainians, they will know where they are and could be avoided….at least by Ukrainian authorised vessels. There’s no doubt that mines are a problem….but not an insurmountable one. Ukraine has accused Russia of deliberately cutting tethered mines free.

Unfortunately, it’s probable that any vessel carrying Ukrainian grain would simply be arrested by the Russians and the grain stolen.
During a high-profile visit to Turkey this week (which, like Ukraine and Russia, also encircles the Black Sea), Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov suggested that if Ukraine de-mined its ports, grain exports would be able to resume.

He also claimed that Russia would guarantee the safety of Ukrainian ships leaving the ports, and would not use the situation — essentially a de-mined, undefended southern Ukrainian coast — to its advantage.

“These are guarantees from the president of Russia,” Lavrov said following talks with his Turkish counterpart Mevlut Cavusoglu.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/10/russia- ... ea%20coast.

I think the Ukrainians might be forgiven for taking Lavrov’s assurances with a pinch of salt :lol:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

newcastle wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:39 am
Insofar as the mines were laid by the Ukrainians, they will know where they are and could be avoided….at least by Ukrainian authorised vessels. There’s no doubt that mines are a problem….but not an insurmountable one. Ukraine has accused Russia of deliberately cutting tethered mines free.

Unfortunately, it’s probable that any vessel carrying Ukrainian grain would simply be arrested by the Russians and the grain stolen.
During a high-profile visit to Turkey this week (which, like Ukraine and Russia, also encircles the Black Sea), Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov suggested that if Ukraine de-mined its ports, grain exports would be able to resume.

He also claimed that Russia would guarantee the safety of Ukrainian ships leaving the ports, and would not use the situation — essentially a de-mined, undefended southern Ukrainian coast — to its advantage.

“These are guarantees from the president of Russia,” Lavrov said following talks with his Turkish counterpart Mevlut Cavusoglu.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/10/russia- ... ea%20coast.

I think the Ukrainians might be forgiven for taking Lavrov’s assurances with a pinch of salt :lol:
More like the Russians are taking the p**s lol
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Not trying to be cynical, but maybe they have to be frugal with water if the new damn is operational. They did argue that the new damn would restrict water in the Nile, so this could be in preparation, who knows the thinking.