Threat Levels in the UK

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Threat Levels in the UK

Post by hatusu »

Just heard on the news that the Terror Threat in the UK has been raised from "Substantial" to "Severe" (Level 4 of 5).
Does the government not have the smallest suspicion that having approx 1000 illegal immigrants per day welcomed with open arms into the country might have the tiniest bearing on that?

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Threat Levels in the UK

Post by Who2 »

Not a real problem here as long as they only blow up themselves...
I'm just off down the coop, special offers on sodium chloride and icing sugar.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

hatusu wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:13 pm Just heard on the news that the Terror Threat in the UK has been raised from "Substantial" to "Severe" (Level 4 of 5).
Does the government not have the smallest suspicion that having approx 1000 illegal immigrants per day welcomed with open arms into the country might have the tiniest bearing on that?
I’m not sure “welcomed with open arms” is an accurate reflection of the UK’s attitude to “illegal” immigrants.

True....we don’t shoot them on sight, or leave them to die of hypothermia in the woods, but I’m happy to live in a country where human rights mean something. And many have perfectly valid asylum claims.

In Pritti Patel we have as tough a Home Secretary as we’re likely to be comfortable with and even she is at a loss as to how to prevent the constant flow of those prepared to risk crossing The Channel in a leaky dinghy.

Most UK terrorists have turned out to be home grown. In reality, it strikes me as rather unlikely that someone bent on causing mayhem would seek to enter the UK “ illegally” when our borders are fairly permeable to anyone who can afford a train/air ticket...and a tourist visa.

With regard to the recent Liverpool event, I don’t think anyone outside the security apparatus knows why the threat level has been increased, what the “ bomber’s” objectives or motivation were...or much at all really.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

It could be my imagination, but it seems to me that the threat level often goes up around this time of year. This is no doubt because at this time of year (Covid restrictions and limitations excluded) there are usually more soft targets available: large crowds e.g Christmas Concerts/Festivities/Markets . I could be completely wrong about this though.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:34 pm It could be my imagination, but it seems to me that the threat level often goes up around this time of year. This is no doubt because at this time of year (Covid restrictions and limitations excluded) there are usually more soft targets available: large crowds e.g Christmas Concerts/Festivities/Markets . I could be completely wrong about this though.
You might be recalling the December 2016 Berlin Christmas Market attack...which I think led to a rise in our level .

There was also the Vienna attack last November....and, of course, the Westminster Bridge attack in Nov 2019.