COP 26 ? Your thoughts....

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

COP 26 ? Your thoughts....

Post by Who2 »

Glasgow, not really the best venue imho.
City of Culture 1990 ?
Pubs with no windows ?

I lived in Glasgow once, Easterhouse or in their vernacula "esstterrhoose"
converted from slums into 60/70's .
Pubs built with no windows to break... terrified rent collectors, all balcony windows drilled shut...

We would go up westend to a huge pub called The "Kurrrrlers in the Byers road english: The Curlers.
Once a hippy offered me a drink in there, he had to repeat it 3 times,
me, 'thinking he wanted to give me a 'wee-glassgee-kiss !.. 'a knutter !
'

A drunk Glaswegian 'weedgie, Is not to behold or try to understand.

Some of my best mates are weedgie's funny buggers..
Glasgow is going to have a fun week that's for sure.. 8)

Anyone know if Sisi's going.?..'I mean Glasgow City of Culture 1990 ? ...'purlease......

Ps; At least Edinburgh has far better credentials for entertaining and, far less drunkenness..
And, it's far easier understanding them.

'Culture is Edinburgh and Edinburgh is culture, even Leith now has great restaurants and bars...
and even, Lizzies' boat ,The Royal Yacht Britannia..."I rest my case/rant!

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: COP 26 ? Your thoughts....

Post by Who2 »

This is the reason why I first went down to Glasgow..
from Scrabster...
God knows who took the pic,

And, I nearly died trying to 'nick the beautiful boats wheel.

We were attempting to blow up an insurance scam, submerged fishing boat,
just down from the firth of forth road bridge.
We were doing a bit of moonlighting for a glaswegian dodgy salvage company.

Quite fun to be honest but bloody cold... 8)
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I’ve a feeling the delights of Glasgow and its pubs is of little consequence for the delegates. They’ll need their wits about them if they’re to extract anything meaningful from the world leaders...or such of them bothering to attend.

God knows what the carbon footprint is of Biden’s 90 car cavalcade of gas guzzlers....not to mention the aircraft that flew them , first to Italy, then to Scotland.

I can’t get excited about the conference, not because the subject is unimportant ....climate change is an existential threat to the next generation of humanity.....but because of the inability of basically selfish politicians to take the painful actions necessary to remedy the impending disaster.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Glasgow has really come up in the world these days. I lived in the west end for 3 years, we'd do our shopping in Byers road, at the end of that road is the botanic gardens. Also a TARDIS if you knew where to look.

We used to frequent Curlers bar, it was a good place to drink. Though I would often drink in the pubs by us in Argyle street and Dumbarton road. One pub was named the Wee man's bar, it only had about 10 seats, but you could get a pint and a whisky for a quid. 😎

We were there 3 years ago and you wouldn't recognise the place. The city was undergoing a massive refurb When we left in the mid 80's. All the buildings and all the council homes are really nice. I never had any issues when I lived there and all the people were great.

As for this COP 20. Seems a bit stupid having 30k people travelling there and upping thier carbon footprint. Self defeating if you ask me.
I wonder how many are flying up there ?
I dare say it will be more hot air adding to global warming and rhetoric being spouted.

We are having a week in Scotland in a few days time for my 60th birthday celebrations.. Needless to say we can't get a hotel in the city so are staying in Coatbridge. We have quite a few friends to catch up with, so looking forward to that.
Then we are going to loch Lomond for a couple of nights, then off up to the Highlands and tour around for a few days.
That drive into Glencoe just takes you breath as you enter the valley.
Such a strange emotion.

I was surprised my missus wasn't moved by the experience, as it was her clan that got massacred in the middle of the night by the treacherous Campbell's.

Anyhow, I love Glasgow and Liverpool. , It's well worth a visit if you haven't been for a while.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Did anything positive really happen from the Paris climate change conference? To my knowledge it was all talk and no action. I guess it will be the same in Glasgow and the poor city will end up more polluted than ever especially if Joe brings his gas guzzlers in.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Yes, you are right John. My first ever visit to Glasgow was when I was quite young. I stayed for some time on the Great Western Road, near the Botanical Gardens. It was at a time when the bus fare from the centre to there was 20p, I thought it was outrageous, being that you could go anywhere in Sheffield for 4p. (I remember, when they wanted to round off the bus fare to 5p, there was almost a riot in Sheffield. That was when David Blunket and the red flag was running the city).

I was up in Glasgow in more recent times, the place is totally transformed from what it was, even George Square has had a face lift.

P.S. - Sorry to say, the Christmas fair that is normally in George Square has been cancelled again this year.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I have a theory:

This Planet is our host.
This Planet has more intelligence than the humans upon it.
Perhaps this Planet thinks it's humans are responsible for Global warming.

Perhaps this Planet thinks it hosts far too many humans!

Conclusion: Cut down the number of humans upon this Planet. qed.

Covid 19 and it's tricky variants could be it's answer....
'Sometimes I have these weird theories, perpetual motion, chemical heterogeneity, ect............. 8)

Ps: The clocks went back it's early!
Sophocles.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

This planet could have screwed us over good style if it really wanted to, never mind the unseen forces that are at work.. 8)

Back in the 14th century the black plague wiped out 60% of Europe.

We are not even good at killing ourselves.
20 million died in world war one, yet the 1918 pandemic killed 50 million.

Covid is real, of that I have no doubt, and if you are one of the vulnerable then it's a time to be concerned and get your vaccines.
However, it's more about change than killing people. Sometimes change occurs naturally, other times the issues that present themselves and require us change need a helping hand.

static-assets-upload632511282813647384.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.