Weather

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Weather

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I have seen a number of comments over the last few days about the weather in Luxor. It really does sound as though you've had just about every thing possible thrown at you. I was watching a short video just now that was taken from opposite Luxor Temple - probably from inside Snack Time or Aboudi Cafe - and much of the Temple, and the mosque was obliterated by the sandstorm.

Sadly, I have also seen photographs where people have been injured or killed, by road accidents or falling trees.

Hopefully, most people will be sheltering in their homes, which will reduce the risk of road accidents, and of spreading the Corona Virus. I just hope that there are not too many problems of properties disintegrating or being blown over, as that is always a risk.

Take care folks. There are too many 'plagues' out there at the moment.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Re: Weather

Post by hatusu »

Up at 5am this morning clearing the sand and debris from my back garden and front porch. No real damage though to the plants and foliage, its just that such a large percentage of the Sahara seems to have relocated here. After breakfast I'll start inside. We have rubber sealant round all the windows but the sand still seems to seep through doors and windows like osmosis. Glass and solid wood seems to be no barrier.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Well I got up at 5.30am went to have a look at the mess. Flat covered in sand. Unlike Hatusu though I went back to bed.
Up again now and just about to start the big clean up. No damage fortunately but sand, sand everywhere.

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

I promise you Carrie Im not usually so self-disciplined (or masochistic) but it was just so lovely and cool then I thought I might as well before it hotted up. The inside still awaits ........

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Hepzibah, it was bad yesterday, the wind actually howled. Every thing turned yellow and it was difficult to breath.
Today facing the aftermath, sand in every nook and cranny been a day of hoovering, sweeping, mopping and more mopping. Rain earlier in the week, sandstorm what next?
At least we haven't time to get bored.

Moonstone
V.I.P
V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Moonstone »

And it is starting again. More thunder and some rain. Yesterday's storm was the worst I have ever encountered in my years here. I am sick of getting rid of dust, dust and more dust. It is everywhere and my breathing has suffered. They came to fix the plastic sheeting on the gate to my garden at midnight by which time I was past caring. However, we do not seem to have been subjected to the horrific power cuts as the East Bank. The cuts we have had are bad enough for not for hours on end. My white cat turned a fetching shade of orange yesterday - think I should rename him Trump!!
Nil desperandum

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Having experienced some very real sandstorms when in the middle of the Sahara - and some were very scary when we were miles from anywhere so only our truck to shelter in - I can appreciate the comments about the sand getting in everywhere.

I do remember an occasion when visiting Luxor, and a dust storm blew in. It was my departure day and it was pandemonium at the airport - people panicking about the 'dreadful sandstorm'. I wasn't sure what all the fuss was about. Unfortunately, it was worse further out and all flights had been diverted and landed elsewhere. That did make for an interesting situation at Luxor airport. Communication was very limited to say the least. As luck would have it, I had a friend who was waiting outside for the incoming flight so she and I were able to update each other on what was being told by staff to either side of airport doors.

I read earlier about the East Bank having a hail storm and yet another power cut this afternoon.

Here's hoping it will finally blow its way through before long, if it hasn't already.
Take care folks.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley