The Stars

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

The Stars

Post by carrie » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:26 am

Well I am back after having a wonderful time in Turkey. Thank you Yildez it was great. But after travelling for 24 hours I was very tired last night and went to bed about 9pm. What should greet me but a power cut, went out on the balcony and everywhere was in darkness. Made myself a cuppa and sat looking at the incredible night sky, millions of stars. Welcome back to Luxor you certainly put on a show for me.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: The Stars

Post by newcastle » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:04 am

Welcome back Carrie. I was wondering where you'd been!

Obviously too engrossed in the delights of Turkey to bother with L4U ! :lol:

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:06 am

Now you know a little of how I feel after travelling from Australia. 24 hours is just the flight duration. :a13:

Glad you had a great time. I loved Turkey, but would like to see more than I did.
Carpe diem! :le:

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:30 am

True Newcastle to be brutally honest I didn't give a damn what was happening in Luxor/Egypt why go and stay in a different country and keep looking back at somewhere you have left even if it was for a short while. I am glad to be back though. No where like home. :a31: :a31:

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:49 am

I too love Turkey, we have been a few times and booked again for October. My missus even did paragliding from the mountains above Olu deniz.

I cannot honestly say there isn't a country I have not been to that I could hang up my hat and call home..
Apart from Cyprus.... 8)

Stars ? I have been watching Mars these last few weeks, so very bright, just as Venus was when it started getting brighter than usual on the Winter Solstice back in 2016.

That blood moon was a no goer a couple of weeks ago, it was very cloudy.
The last time I saw a Blood moon was when I was at St Julians in Malta. The next day, Tripoli fell... :ct

Turkey is such a nice place though, the Aegean sea is amazing, the forests and all the places to go to, and the people are really great. :up

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:13 pm

Oh you should have been in Turkey, the moon blood red and then the eclipse, Mars was right at the side of the moon and also very red lovely sight.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:57 am

There is supposed to be a show of shooting stars in the sky this weekend, just hope the clear skies stay that way. We do not get much light pollution, living away from the tourist entertainment areas, so normally the skies at night are dark. Only been to Turkey once for 2 weeks.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:12 am

Will look out for that MT, I have only been to Cyprus (Pathos) once for two weeks, worst holiday of my life. The weather was atrocious rain, rain, rain and cold, speaking to people who visited regularly year after year they told me that they had never known anything like it. Just unlucky I suppose but it certainly put me off the place so that I never want to return.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:41 am

Pathos (an appeal to the emotions)? Did you mean Paphos, perhaps? :a80:

Way back, I worked on the (still ongoing) excavation of the Graeco-Roman theatre on Fabrika Hill. But that was before the town became full of resorts.

I met a British couple who'd been holidaying there for 25 years, retired there, and still didn't speak a word of Greek. :a17:
Carpe diem! :le:

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:22 pm

Freudian slip WI. Or senility.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:10 pm

The Winters are fairly mild, but we do get rain anytime from November to the end of February, and yes Winter temperatures at night can get to only 12C that is why many have central heating or what they call multifuel stoves. The rain does not bother us too much it keeps the gardens well preserved. The horrendous thing we get is thunder and lightening. These storms are normally through the hours of darkness. You do get used to them though. We moved here in the month of February and had not seen lightening or heavy rain for years so our first instinct was to go into the gardens and dance. The normal tourist season is not very high at all during this time and it's mainly down to holiday home owners and those that come for a few days break. Also many of the places close during the Winter months, and people that live here revert to home entertaining, which can be fascinating because the local people teach you to cook local products. Last Christmas we were walking the beach in shorts and tee shirts but at night its a case of fleeces and trousers. Even after saying all this the air is pure and clean. The thing I do not like though and find it hard to understand, if you consider the blazing sun of Luxor, you do not see many cars with what is called sunburn, like you do here, unless you have a garage or a cover, your paintwork just peel and the lacquer fractures and makes cars look a mess.

Our tourist season is between end of March and end of October, but even during these months there is still a chance of showers. Our main change over day for tourist is Wednesday and on Wednesday evening we sat on the patio with a bottle of wine and between 8.00pm and 10pm we counted 11 flights coming in to Paphos Airport, so there obviously plenty of people coming, and a good mixture of young and older people. When we went for breakfast today we were talking to a man and his wife who holiday here 2 times a year and had been coming for 17 years. There are also many UK citizens who have lived here over 20 years. But like everything else people love a place or hate it. When we were tourists in the heyday of Luxor we loved it there and would travel to Luxor 3 and sometimes more a year. We do not know what will happen now the new Marina has had contracts signed to build, because there are going to be, according to the plans some Super Homes being built, which may expand the economy too much.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:16 am

Major Thom wrote:The Winters are fairly mild, but we do get rain anytime from November to the end of February, and yes Winter temperatures at night can get to only 12C that is why many have central heating or what they call multifuel stoves. The rain does not bother us too much it keeps the gardens well preserved. The horrendous thing we get is thunder and lightening. These storms are normally through the hours of darkness. You do get used to them though. We moved here in the month of February and had not seen lightening or heavy rain for years so our first instinct was to go into the gardens and dance. The normal tourist season is not very high at all during this time and it's mainly down to holiday home owners and those that come for a few days break. Also many of the places close during the Winter months, and people that live here revert to home entertaining, which can be fascinating because the local people teach you to cook local products. Last Christmas we were walking the beach in shorts and tee shirts but at night its a case of fleeces and trousers. Even after saying all this the air is pure and clean. The thing I do not like though and find it hard to understand, if you consider the blazing sun of Luxor, you do not see many cars with what is called sunburn, like you do here, unless you have a garage or a cover, your paintwork just peel and the lacquer fractures and makes cars look a mess.

[You must have been heavy sleepers then while living here. I have witnessed some of the most violent thunder and lightening storms [without the rain] ever over the mountains of the West Bank. An occurrence that I've always enjoyed watching since childhood. ]

Our tourist season is between end of March and end of October, but even during these months there is still a chance of showers. Our main change over day for tourist is Wednesday and on Wednesday evening we sat on the patio with a bottle of wine and between 8.00pm and 10pm we counted 11 flights coming in to Paphos Airport, so there obviously plenty of people coming, and a good mixture of young and older people. When we went for breakfast today we were talking to a man and his wife who holiday here 2 times a year and had been coming for 17 years. There are also many UK citizens who have lived here over 20 years. But like everything else people love a place or hate it. When we were tourists in the heyday of Luxor we loved it there and would travel to Luxor 3 and sometimes more a year. We do not know what will happen now the new Marina has had contracts signed to build, because there are going to be, according to the plans some Super Homes being built, which may expand the economy too much.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:47 am

Cyprus is a fairly small island with salt laden sea breezes. No salt in the dry atmosphere in Luxor, hence very little rust. :up

By the way how's your Greek going MT? I think you really are multilingual now, Arabic, Greek any advance on them?
Smile! It confuses people

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:36 am

Η ελληνική μου πάει καλά MD, έχω μάθει τώρα για περισσότερο από ένα χρόνο. Δεν είμαι σίγουρος αν τα λόγια μου είναι σωστά, όμως, έχω να πληκτρολογήσω το πληκτρολόγιό μου στα ελληνικά και όχι όλα αυτά που είναι σίγουροι για να ξεκλειδώσουν ακόμα.

Hope you can understand it MD, my speech is much better than my spelling but my spelling is 100% better than it was 6 months ago. Basically it says "Not too bad really, however I have to look all over my keyboard when I change to Greek, and use a see through paper to put over to see the spelling" But all in all not too bad. I wanted to learn because when you go to a Taverna away from the beaten track for a Mezze many have trouble speaking English. I do find it easier to learn though than Arabic.

What I have written may be a bit of Gobble Degook but thought I would give it a try..Its the letters that are so different that can be confusing.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:14 am

Who do you think you're fooling MT :)))

Previous posts indicate that your Arabic is non-existent and your English not much better.

But you've mastered an online translation app for Greek.......and "copy & paste".

Well done! :lol:

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:58 am

Come, come Newcastle how do you know that this time MT is spoofing do you have any proof? :evil:

Well done MT I thought you'd like to know that the generally accepted European style of letters is also acceptable. It would make searching for the letters on your Greek keyboard easier perhaps?

Ελάτε, έρχεστε Νιούκαστλ, πώς ξέρετε ότι αυτή τη φορά η ΜΤ είναι ψεύτικη έχετε κάποια απόδειξη;

Eláte, ércheste Nioúkastl, pós xérete óti aftí ti forá i MT eínai pséftiki échete kápoia apódeixi? ;)

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:39 pm

Mad Dilys wrote:Come, come Newcastle how do you know that this time MT is spoofing do you have any proof? :evil:
Just a guess! :lol:

Coupled with the fact that if I feed his English into a translation app, it produces exactly the same Greek. And it takes quite a while to know where to put the diacritics......particularly in words with only one syllable. I studied modern Greek for a couple of years without mastering it.

Of course it could be that he's suddenly become bilingual ;)

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:09 pm

Not like me then. I just put everything in Google translate, no messing! It's pretty good now because you can hear the speech at the same time. :up

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:47 pm

carrie wrote:the incredible night sky, millions of stars.

You exaggerate of course. A few thousand are visible on a dark, clear, moonless night at any location. I would put the upper limit around 5000.

And yes, Friday was New Moon.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Poetic license Brian.