Docking In - Cruise Ships

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Docking In - Cruise Ships

Post by Horus » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:40 pm

Most boats now dock on the Luxor side of the bridge although a few dock just past there. From the furthest point by the bridge they are spread over a roughly 2.5 kilometre stretch of river heading back towards Luxor with boats being clustered in several places along the way, so from the furthest berth to the Jollie Ville turn off it is about 5 km and from the nearest berth it is about 2.5 km. After the Jolie Ville turn off it is a further 3.5 km to the start of the Corniche or 4 km to Luxor Temple itself, it is then another 3 km to Karnak Temple, so it is somewhere in the region of 12 km from the furthest berth close to the bridge to Karnak Temple.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:18 pm

BENNU wrote:I cannot say the same about Edfu,
Perhaps like myself on my first ever visit to Edfu by train, you entered the Temple from the opposite end as most people do today. When you approached the main enterance, there was a very high banking, now long gone, where young children would throw stones down on to the tourist, being evidently frustrated they could not get bachsheesh from the tourist.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:30 pm

BENNU wrote: My friends did not see Luxor at all.
It makes me feel very sad to read this Bennu, but then again, I remember both I and Glyphdoctor made it very clear on this forum, many years ago, that this would be so, and it was then government policy that organised tourism would be removed from Luxor, and would become the open air museum, and certainly closed to Luxor people.

I always said that the Luxor 'chicken' laid a golden egg every day, but in the end the Luxor ruthless hassle killed the 'chicken'.

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:41 pm

There was a time (about 18 years ago) that the boats would have to dock as close as possible to the temple, sometimes at low Nile levels you had to walk back along the mud bank. This brought you in at the back of the temple comming from left to right and people had to walk along the main outer wall towards the pylon to get into the temple, somehow I always found this view more impressive than the current pylon entrance as can be seen in this old scanned image of mine, the guides from the boats would assemble their tour groups under the big tree you can see here.

About that time they started to smarten the place up and lay in new paths, the finished job can be seen here about 6 years later.

After the work was finished the tourists would be taken in a fleet of caleches instead of just walking up from the river. They would then enter the temple from the opposite end having never set foot in Edfu at all and would approach the temple with a frontal view of the first pylon, the old way in would have been along the left hand side as seen in these images.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:26 pm

Nice photos Horus, thank you. The top one is a true memory of the old lay out, a more natural feel that you certainly captured here, then below what the government's idea was then, and eventually all of the sites in Middle and Upper Egypt.

The last time I was there, an area to the right of your second photo are placed some really wonderful statues and stela from the Greek era, but like many of these new set areas, few people ever bother to go around the sides of the main structure, which is such a share, especially at Edfu, Dendera, and most important of all Abydos.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:48 am

This is indeed the case A-four. In the beginnings of our site seeing tours around Karnak and other temples, we, like many thousands of other tourists, tended to be herded around set paths by the tour guides, stopping now and again for a lengthy history talk. It was only later when we started to go around these sites at our own pace that we discovered little hidden gems that non of us had seen before.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:05 pm

This is indeed the case A-four. In the beginnings of our site seeing tours around Karnak and other temples, we, like many thousands of other tourists, tended to be herded around set paths by the tour guides, stopping now and again for a lengthy history talk. It was only later when we started to go around these sites at our own pace that we discovered little hidden gems that non of us had seen before.
That is something I have done many times if on a cruise or similar package. I take the guide to one side and explain that I have my own agenda at the site and after accompanying the group to the venue and entering I will then be doing my own thing. I always agree a rendezvous time with them beforehand then discretely leave the group and explore on my own. Very often at any particular site there are several things that I will have selected to seek out, often they are inscriptions or hieroglyphs or something else unique to that place, I may do this because I have previously researched or read about it and so I am following up on my own interests and not what a guide wishes to inform me about. As most people will know, some guides are good and others are not, but regardless of this I realise it is their livelihood so I always tip them.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:39 pm

Some interesting nostalgia here:

(Click the photo below to start the video)
phpBB [video]
Carpe diem! :le:

AladdinSane

Post by AladdinSane » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:14 pm

FarleyFlavors wrote:
AladdinSane wrote:That sounds a reasonable price considering it's a long way from docking bay!
It's defininately 35-45LE?
No, it definitely isn't 35-45LE from the southern docking bays to Karnak. I'd expect to pay what Bennu did...
BENNU wrote:It was a long ride, and with no discussion, we gave him 100 EGP each way, that was in April. I would have paid the same to Karnak and probably more today.
Also, don't expect to walk off the boat and hail a taxi. You'll need to prebook.

Prebook?

If the Royal Viking will, indeed, dock in that particular area you're saying that there will be no taxis to flag down? We're hoping to visit Karnak/Luxor Temple one of the mornings. The Soux one of the evenings. The West Bank another morning and hopefully Murphy's etc etc in the evening. We'll be needing transport for all of those visits.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:18 pm

Thanks very much for the video Winged Isis - interesting to see how close to the water Abu Simbel was! Have put Kom Ombo on my 'must visit again list'!!!

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:53 pm

AladdinSane wrote:
FarleyFlavors wrote:
AladdinSane wrote:That sounds a reasonable price considering it's a long way from docking bay!
It's defininately 35-45LE?
No, it definitely isn't 35-45LE from the southern docking bays to Karnak. I'd expect to pay what Bennu did...
BENNU wrote:It was a long ride, and with no discussion, we gave him 100 EGP each way, that was in April. I would have paid the same to Karnak and probably more today.
Also, don't expect to walk off the boat and hail a taxi. You'll need to prebook.

Prebook?

If the Royal Viking will, indeed, dock in that particular area you're saying that there will be no taxis to flag down? We're hoping to visit Karnak/Luxor Temple one of the mornings. The Soux one of the evenings. The West Bank another morning and hopefully Murphy's etc etc in the evening. We'll be needing transport for all of those visits.
Don't panic, the reception on the boat will almost certainly book or call you a taxi ;)

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:49 am

Last year I was charged 200LE to go from the bridge to downtown one way. Reception had called the cab. But then I didn’t know any better.

Now I will never use a boat that docks by the bridge. There is absolutely nothing to do in that area.

FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:25 am

AladdinSane wrote:If the Royal Viking will, indeed, dock in that particular area you're saying that there will be no taxis to flag down?
I'm afraid not. Very few tourists leave the boat so there's no incentive for taxi drivers to be in that area hoping to be hailed.

You could use Oceanus Travel in Luxor to book your trips. They're fairly priced and reliable as I'm sure others on here would attest. They usually respond fairly quickly to FaceBook Messenger queries (https://www.facebook.com/AhmedBalalluxor) or email them at oceanusluxor@yahoo.com.
Horus wrote:Don't panic, the reception on the boat will almost certainly book or call you a taxi ;)
...which will probably lead to you being overcharged...
crewmeal wrote:Last year I was charged 200LE to go from the bridge to downtown one way. Reception had called the cab.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:20 pm

FarleyFlavors wrote:
AladdinSane wrote:If the Royal Viking will, indeed, dock in that particular area you're saying that there will be no taxis to flag down?
I'm afraid not. Very few tourists leave the boat so there's no incentive for taxi drivers to be in that area hoping to be hailed.

You could use Oceanus Travel in Luxor to book your trips. They're fairly priced and reliable as I'm sure others on here would attest. They usually respond fairly quickly to FaceBook Messenger queries (https://www.facebook.com/AhmedBalalluxor) or email them at oceanusluxor@yahoo.com.
Horus wrote:Don't panic, the reception on the boat will almost certainly book or call you a taxi ;)
...which will probably lead to you being overcharged...
crewmeal wrote:Last year I was charged 200LE to go from the bridge to downtown one way. Reception had called the cab.
........and that is EXACTLY how the government of Egypt want you to appreciate the town of Luxor, immeadiatly after you have seen the two temples there.

From what I have recently been told within the next 18 months, new tourist to Luxor, will see about as much of modern day life there, as do visitor see at the likes of Kom Ombo.

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:19 pm

You will only be overcharged if like many people you do not do your homework first, its all down to how experienced and savvy you are, there are tourists and there are travellers. 8)

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:54 pm

Horus you obviously had better luck with your tour guides than we did, like you we had down research in advance. Admittedly not in Egypt but on our only ever tour that was to Sicily & Etna from Malta. We explained we did not want to tour the town (following a guide with a flag :roll: ) but rather see the historic parts & would meet the coach at the designated time. He could not get his head round it & said "Just stay with me, I will take you to a nice restaurant" tried reasoning with him but he was adamant, needless to say at the first junction we took the opposite turn from his tour & had a lovely trip round the historic parts of the town we wanted to see :) He had apparently freaked out before he got back to the coach & found us there at the right time (probably the loss of commission :roll: )

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:38 am

Fabby, I suppose to some degree organised tours from the boats are easier to dodge out of because once you are inside the venue it is all down to available time and maybe easier to keep an eye on the tour you are a part of and of course the boat docks for a set time so it is easy to just plan your own excursions, I would often make full days out when docked at Aswan and go to the Nubian Museum, the lovely Christian Cathedral or afternoon tea with Miss Christie :D
Usually as we stayed for at least a couple of weeks even with a cruise or a visit to Cairo we would always skip the VOK organised tour which in most cases was the day after arrival on many boats and instead we would go and visit friends in and around Luxor on that day and do the VOK during our second week at our liesure.
I have no doubt that the commission was foremost on his mind, plus all the other additional venues they would take you to, all eating into your free time. I only once had a really great evening organised by a tour guide (he was English) and that was on a Paris visit when we again did our own thing and skipped off to Versailles instead of the organised event for that day, but in the evening we all went with him into Paris for an evening meal and it turned out to be a fabulous night, he could not get us all back onto his coach as we were having such a good time. :lol: :lol:

AladdinSane

Post by AladdinSane » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:58 pm

We're planning on doing our own excursions too. I did the Nile Cruise in 2007 and went on all of the excursions. However; this time we're only panning to visit Medina Habu, the temple of Seti I, VOTK, Luxor temple and Karnak when berthed in Luxor. Also; Esna temple and Edfu (temple of Horus).

Is it easy to access the temple at Esna and the temple at Edfu? I seem to remember last time that Esna temple was just a short walk from the boat. Can't remember how we got to Edfu temple - will we need a taxi?

FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:23 pm

AladdinSane wrote:Is it easy to access the temple at Esna and the temple at Edfu? I seem to remember last time that Esna temple was just a short walk from the boat. Can't remember how we got to Edfu temple - will we need a taxi?
As far as I'm aware, most cruise boats no longer stop at Esna. Certainly none of the past three I've been on have stopped there. If yours does stop, then yes - the temple is only a short stroll from the dock.

At Edfu you might well be forced to take a caleche. I think they've pretty much got a monopoly on transferring cruise passengers to the temple.

AladdinSane

Post by AladdinSane » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:56 pm

What would be the price of a caleche to the temple? Are there any shops near the temple where we could buy bottled water etc?

Regarding Aswan (we're there for two days) - would we be able to walk from the boat into the town itself?