Menstral cycle for women in Egypt

The place for all those subjects that are of interest to women but might embarrass men.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

little_angel_204

Menstral cycle for women in Egypt

Post by little_angel_204 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:04 am

What do the women in Egypt use during their period? I've read a few things now that girls miss school due to their period as they have no access to sanitary protection.

Other things I have read, sanitary protection are rather expensive.

I have recently discovered mooncups.

I honestly believe this would help many many girls/women.

One mooncup, if properly taken care of can last for up to 10 years. 10 YEARS.

This means no towels, no tampons, no damaging waste in the environment, no missing school or work. And I bought mine for £1.38. I think that is roughly 10LE.

Could I ask opinions please? The only thing is they require you to be a little more in contact with your body than a towel.

Is there anything in Luxor that helps girls stay in school during their menstral cycle?

I'd be happy to buy some, print off 'instructions' and send them over with visitors to donate so girls can keep in school. The more school they miss, the higher the chance of them quitting school. That's not good enough!

Mother. Daughter. Partner. PCOS Warrior. Uni Student.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Re: Menstral cycle for women in Egypt

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:00 am

Little_angel, welcome back - and what a great post. One of those questions I am sure many have wondered about but never dared to ask.

I don't really know the answer to this. I have a number of female Egyptian friends, most with daughters, but it is not something we have discussed. It's also not easy to talk about given the language restraints and the fact that there are usually men around. I do know some women use rags formed in to sanitary towels, which I discovered by accident one day when seeing a young woman doing her personal washing.

There was a long thread here once about mentrual cups and the pros and cons of them. I do wonder though if they would be suitable for girls/women who have undergone FGM.

I hope someone is able to answer you question with more clarity.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

little_angel_204

Post by little_angel_204 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:23 am

My goodness, I hadn't even thought about women who had gone through FGM! :xx

Thank you for welcoming me back. It's been a while since I've last been on. So long in fact that my account was inactive!

Rags are not suitable or hygienic at all, there has to be something. Is there a way you could ask or I could find out? There has to be a way to let these girls know missing school or work, being confined to the house or spending a lot of money each month (many of whom don't have it) isn't their only choice.

I'm going to suggest these to my daughter when she hits puberty as I didn't realise how many chemicals there are in both towels and Tampoms that can cause vaginal dryness, cancer, infertility, or simple yeast infections. Tampoms obviously are fibrous and can leave behind fibres each time you remove them.

Menstrual cups are medical grade silicone that do not cause any of these things.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:44 am

Well, I have no hangups asking my fountain of knowledge. Sanitary towels here are not that expensive, Always, pack of ten, 18/20Le. There are the cheaper ones available, what I would call the old fashioned thick pads of long ago. School girls have a ready supply of these, so do not have to miss school, although they do have to buy their own; Some girls do use ''the severe pain discomfort'' card to miss school for a couple of days. The tampon type are also sold here, but usually restricted to married women. Sold for around 40Le per pack.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:13 am

Very brave of you to contribute to what many men would consider a taboo topic Dusak and provide some local information. Respect! :a27:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:18 am

Dusak, thank you. I was rather hoping you would be able to shed some light on this via your friend. Have you asked if she knows about the menstrual cups, and if they are available in Egypt? It would ne so good to get an Egptian womans perspective on these.
I'm pleased to hear that sanitary towels are not so expensive now. There was a time that I don't think it was the case.

Little_angel, you have reminded me of something. A couple of years ago a girls charity/school in another African country were trying to address this problem. Although they were getting lots of packs of towels donated there was not enough. Some people were recommending making some from a bamboo fibre. Appatently this is very popular in some places, especially among the eco warrior/save the earth women as they are made from natural, sustainable plants.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:39 am

I think that girls would be discouraged from making such intimate contact with their bodies before marriage.
Smile! It confuses people

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:42 am

Even in countries wealthier than Egypt, such as Australia, there is a huge problem for many homeless women accessing sanitary products, as discovered in an interview with a homeless woman by Mia Freedman.

Subsequently a charity called Share the Dignity was begun. http://www.sharethedignity.com.au

As well as women providing products, a tampon company supporting STD prints a contact number for domestic violence refuges inside their boxes.

Before Christmas women fill large handbags, backpacks etc they donate or buy with sanitary products, basic bathroom necessities and little luxuries like perfume, cosmetics etc. Bargains spotted in supermarkets are shared on the Fb page.

A hairsalon in my village has an STD box and I just buy a few boxes of tampons and pads and wet wipes each time I go to the supermarket, then just drop them off at the salon. It's a very positive way to help other women and their teenage daughters for little cost and effort. Volunteers collect the boxes and help share out the donations.

Every woman has experienced being "caught short" or having "an accident" at least once in their life. Imagine having to deal with it on a monthly basis with toilet paper, newspaper, a sock or handkerchief or worse, and in public toilets or any place they can hide for privacy. Especially if you are one of the unfortunates with heavy periods or worse problems. It's bad enough in the privacy and cleanliness of your own home and with a washing machine at hand.
Carpe diem! :le:

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:53 am

I asked the wife of my Egyptian "son" who tells me moon cups are not available (retail wise) in Egypt.

little_angel_204

Post by little_angel_204 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:55 am

Winged Isis, that is very true.

I may see if there is a way to help those closer to home. As girls are brought up with different beliefs, not to be so intimate with their own bodies. Here, in the UK we learn that it is best to understand your own body so you know when there is a problem.

Horus, that thinking is a the issue - Its not a taboo subject, its one of the most natural things to happen to a girl/woman. Many people don't like speaking about it because yes, its personal. But it is also yukky, messy and painful - THAT is the problem, that's why people do not like speaking about it.

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:28 pm

Horus, that thinking is a the issue - Its not a taboo subject, its one of the most natural things to happen to a girl/woman. Many people don't like speaking about it because yes, its personal. But it is also yukky, messy and painful - THAT is the problem, that's why people do not like speaking about it.
That was the point I was trying to make :up

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:16 pm

Do forgive a much older lady her ignorance - what on earth are 'moon cups'? :ni:

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:49 pm

Mmmm! Don't worry folks! Mr Google was very obliging! :D They sound absolutely foul!

little_angel_204

Post by little_angel_204 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:09 pm

Ruby slippers, honestly before I tried it I was a little... :tk about that.

I thought, dealing with it would be gross. But I saw one on amazon ( wasn't even looking, it just popped up) for £1, so I thought "Why not".

I tried it with my following cycle and it was like id been living in the dark ages by using pads. Cramps are reduced (bloating unfortunately isn't though!), and for the first time. In 15 years of having periods, I actually felt comfortable doing things.
And it can last up to 12 hours.

This is what made me think of girls and women I'm Luxor. My mum is coming over in June and if there is/was a place that helps them get hold of sanitary protection then I will/ was going to buy 15-20 and send them over with her. They take up next to no room at all.

But I've been looking into it and for girls/women who can't or don't want rouse these, there are also reusable pads.

Not disposable ones and not rags. For for purpose, reusable pads that are washed out, dried and reused. Obviously they would have to have at least 10 of them but it'd save the girls money over a longer time.

pinkmagic
United Kingdom

Post by pinkmagic » Mon May 01, 2017 9:22 am

I think the reusable pads may be a better option if you can find an organisation that distributes them to women that struggle to afford sanitary protection.
I don't think moon cups would be popular and especially not suitable for unmarried women.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Mon May 01, 2017 10:59 am

pinkmagic wrote:
I don't think moon cups would be popular and especially not suitable for unmarried women.
We know how jealous Egyptian men can be :lol:

little_angel_204

Post by little_angel_204 » Mon May 01, 2017 6:27 pm

Jealous of a silicone cup that catches menstrual blood? That must be desperation at its best :o

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Mon May 01, 2017 9:50 pm

little_angel_204 wrote:Jealous of a silicone cup that catches menstrual blood? That must be desperation at its best :o
If you have to insert it then it's a no no :urm:

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue May 02, 2017 6:02 am

DJKeefy wrote:
little_angel_204 wrote:Jealous of a silicone cup that catches menstrual blood? That must be desperation at its best :o
If you have to insert it then it's a no no :urm:
Agreed.

Inserting a tampon or moon cup into the vagina could (but not always will) break the hymen and possibly result in "problems" later for an unmarried girl.

Islamic opinion on whether it's ok to use tampons or moon cups is divided. Common sense tells you there's no relation between a broken hymen and virginity but in Luxor you're likely to face a more "conservative" outlook.

Google "are tampons permitted in Islam"...and you'll see what I mean.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue May 02, 2017 7:33 am

As stated, moon cups are not available in Luxor. Although my friend sees the benefits cost wise to these reusable products, she thinks that they would cause far too many problems in a male dominated household as they already consider the menstruation cycle a devils bringing, unclean and unwanted, so to see one of these renewable ones hanging out to dry, clean or not, would be a no go and they most certainly would not permit them to be washed in a hand basin inside the home.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.