Now we need more thinking like this......

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Now we need more thinking like this......

Post by Who2 »

A really clever idea if only there was more of it.... 8)
http://egypttoday.com/blog/2016/08/14/a ... he-desert/

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Re: Now we need more thinking like this......

Post by BBLUX »

I saw a link to this the other day before we went "dark" for a few days. Thanks for reminding me with this post.

A brilliant concept by a very forward thinking man. 8)
However, this comment made me shake my head "There are plans to work with real estate developers to bring in arid landscaping, using indigenous plants, as well as educate the communities about what grows well in Egypt."
Sadly that would not go down well with the local Upper Egyptian farmers who have "always done things their way"

Will we be seeing baby leaf salad growing in your plunge pool soon? I do hope you filter the water first after your daily ablutions :lol:

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

There are vast areas of semi desert land on the West Bank, useless apart from the odd day trippers using the land for their energetic four wheel go-carting. With a little investment [compered to the returns] and a good deal of planning all this land could produce hundreds of tonnes of food a year with very little impact on the Nile for its water, but no, its something new and devoid of any interest, even with the opportunity of training the younger generation and creating new jobs. Aquaponic farming has been around for many years, many are being set up in old or disused factories, frontages of tower blocks, as well as unused roof spaces, are being utilized with growing success. I did note that one of the firms using these products, Gourmet Egypt, if this is the same company Gourmet foods, then the expense of the products would be well out of reach of most of the population, so only those that can afford the price could savor the 'new' taste of this eco friendly produce.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

I found that farmers on the west bank were using mahogany as hedging plants because they grow so quickly and make a sturdy barriers.

I had a couple of young trees in my garden when we first bought it and the rate of growth was startling. If we used mahogany as wind breaks and boundaries on our farm after 5-8 years a considerable return could be made on investment and after 15 years the trees would be far more valuable than the crops they protect. It is easy to have a top-up planting system every year to maintain supplies. Or if chopped off when the trunk is about a foot across they rejuvenate very quickly and it provides wood for charcoal making.

I have never had time to visit it, but I know there is/was a mahogany forest on reclaimed land near the airport - has anyone heard of it?
Smile! It confuses people
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I have never heard of it MD but would love to go and see it so if any members have more info please share. :up
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:I have never heard of it MD but would love to go and see it so if any members have more info please share. :up
You'll find some info ...and rather nice pictures of Luxor forest.... at this site:

http://www.eeaa.gov.eg/portals/0/eeaaRe ... tation.pdf

And here....

http://www.swim-sm.eu/files/Best_Practi ... _Reuse.pdf

And here....

Luxor (close to airport)1,000 (including a nursery for Mahogany seedlings)African Mahogany(Khaya)Desert sandyModified flood(a new area uses drip irrigation)

http://www.academia.edu/332059/Reuse_of ... Experience
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Another idea that may turn to "Pot" :lol: