Smithfield Market saved....

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Smithfield Market saved....

Post by Who2 »

Part of my life was spent here and still is when I return home.
It's the lower edge along Farringdon Road and the old adjacent fish market.
Who doesn't remember the locations round the Market for such great films as Gangster No1, Lock Stock, Skyfall, Harry Potter,
the classic scene from The Long Good Friday all the 'crims hanging upside down off the meat hooks.
Iv'e done a bit of Clerkenwell 'film locating for some pretty big films, the pay is great and good wrap parties.
Read on....
Large parts of Smithfield Market won't be demolished to make way for a new complex of offices and shops after all.

Eric Pickles, communities secretary, has upheld a planning inspector's finding that the proposal to demolish parts of the significant market buildings was "to the great detriment to the surrounding area" and "wholly unacceptable". The campaign against the redevelopment of the fish and general market halls was supported by high-profile names including Alan Bennett and Kristin Scott Thomas. The Victorian market has been derelict for 15 years, but Save Britain's Heritage and the Victorian Society came up with fresh proposals for a regeneration scheme.

So in the end we beat the developers for once, even Prince Charlie was with us.... :cool:
Ps: Bet you didn't know that there was once a huge fish market there ?
With only 1 Fish wholesaler now left underneath Holborn Viaduct.
Nice Lobsters!

Uncle Fred was a porter there once....
https://www.google.com.eg/maps/@51.5191 ... 6656?hl=en

I had that building for over 6 years, we did the Buster film wrap in it's basement.
It has three basement levels as well..tastefully named The Slaughter House Gallery.
On the top 'The Captain's Table, I used to look down into John Tarodes flash top floor restaurant Smith's next door..

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.