Walking Home

The place for all those subjects that are of interest to women but might embarrass men.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Walking Home

Post by Dusak » Fri May 01, 2015 4:30 am

Winged Isis wrote:Okay, I'm going off my own topic to comment on an odd trend I have seen developing on the forum since last year. It's not a go at you, Dusak, or anyone in particular, just a general query.

Why, when replying to the last post in a thread, are people bothering to "quote" them, when you are the next respondent? Quoting is only necessary when the post to which you are replying is earlier than the one above yours. An exception would be to highlight a particular point to which you refer, not meaning the whole post. There are probably others.

If speaking face to face, you wouldn't repeat the others' comment before you reply, would you?!

Thank you. I'll step off my soapbox and have a cuppa. :cuppa: ;)
As in this post with quote, I do it as a sign of politeness to that particular poster, that, and as there seems to be so many thickos reading the posts, missing what post was being quoted because it was not included usually leads to a tirade of nonsense towards the poster usually followed by an oops sorry post. :D As for your next but one line, I have been face to face attempting to have a two sided conversation here many a time with an Egyptian only to have my own points repeated as if for the first time. I suppose that is the way some of them attempt learn English. :lol:

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Fri May 01, 2015 10:42 pm

I understand, but still think it unnecessary, and believe you shouldn't encourage it. It's tedious to constantly start reading the quote then realise you've just read it. There have been some threads where this went on and on, the quotes getting bigger and bigger as all the previous quotes were included! You then play hunt-the-new-reply. Non-English speakers are an obvious exception of course. I sometimes do it when speaking Arabic.
Carpe diem! :le:

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Fri May 01, 2015 10:51 pm

Winged Isis wrote:I understand, but still think it unnecessary, and believe you shouldn't encourage it. It's tedious to constantly start reading the quote then realise you've just read it.
This is page two, now we have to go back to the previous page in order to see what who wrote yesterday...
:o :?

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat May 02, 2015 12:28 pm

BENNU wrote:
Winged Isis wrote:I understand, but still think it unnecessary, and believe you shouldn't encourage it. It's tedious to constantly start reading the quote then realise you've just read it.
This is page two, now we have to go back to the previous page in order to see what who wrote yesterday...
:o :?
Who hasn't made a comment on this topic as yet BENNU, so no need to quote him, so I'll quote you instead. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.