2 men steal tourists bag at gunpoint in Luxor

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: 2 men steal tourists bag at gunpoint in Luxor

Post by Scottishtourist » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:35 pm

Who2...was Luxor really a happier place before the en-masse tourists came?Us cheapskates who worked and saved to furnish the citizens of another country with our hard earned cash?
We're really in quite a different league from you!We spend,squander our cash,inject the finance quickly into the economy, and expect a good holiday!
And,being honest...I'm quite certain that the locals in Luxor laughed and smiled more when they had a few hundred tourist LE in their back pockets!
By the way,we're talking GUNS here as well!That's a completely different matter from the good old "square go."
But,with you being retired/redundant/indifferent paramedic...you'd know the damage they cause and the fear they instill!!!
Or would you?

LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member

Post by LivinginLuxor » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:40 am

But the good doctor does have a point. Mass tourism started here in the 1980s as far as I can see - I remember talking to someone when I first moved here, who was last in Luxor in 1976. He said that the last building in Luxor to the south was the Winter Palace - beyond were fields, and on the site of the Iberotel was a large villa belonging originally to one of the old Royal family. Karnak and Luxor were two separate villages, again with fields between them. Obviously I can't say how accurate he was, but the growth of tourism meant that the gaps were filled with cheap housing projects, and the hotels that we see today. More people came into the city, hoping to better their incomes, which, of course they did, but with the decline in tourism here, no wonder those who migrated to the city are definitely feeling the pinch economically. Mass tourism seems to be a fickle market, but cultural tourism - usually by individual travellers or dedicated tour groups seems to have always provided a living for a much smaller city.

However, encouraging signs - yesterday afternoon Sindbad's had more visitors there than I had seen in a long time, and in the evening, again, there were more people in the Fayrouz garden than I'd seen for weeks. My regular taxi driver said that the flights from the UK were full on Wednesday, although the majority of the visitors were going on cruise ships.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:59 am

Margate = tacky = tourists = kiss me quick hats = rain = your average cheap tattooed tourists.....:cool:
rocket science it's not.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Teddyboy

Post by Teddyboy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:45 am

Chickens and eggs come to mind!

I suspect that quite a number of L4U members first arrived here on the banks of the Nile in Luxor as part of one of those 'mass tourism' packages , I know that we certainly did. There had never been a possibility that we could ever have come here any other way.

So, while I sympathise greatly with the good Doctor's sentiments regarding 'unsuitable' tourists, it was only because of the tours created especially for the poorer masses that we were able to come in the first place. Subsequently, we then got to appreciate the wonders of the antiquities and the utter and ongoing fascination with the culture that we found here!

As I said above; chickens and eggs?????????????

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:17 am

Who2 wrote:Margate = tacky = tourists = kiss me quick hats = rain = your average cheap tattooed tourists.....:cool:
rocket science it's not.
That's quite a blinkered view Who2!
Must admit I haven't seen many of these in all my years of coming to Luxor!What I have seen are students,backpackers,young and mature couples,families,single "travellers",and everyone else who is either coming as a first-timer or returning for their own reasons.(and let's face it,some "returnees"are coming back for nothing more than "personal"reasons!)
Unfortunately,the "travellers"are usually on a far tighter budget than your "en-masse"tourist,and the dedicated,unique tour groups are just that!Dedicated to a unique tour company and paying a premium to them for the priviledge!
I'll admit that first time I visited I had no more than a passing interest in the historical sights.They were things I'd seen on the telly,a legacy of watching old Boris Karloff and Elizabeth Taylor films with my dad,who was an avid telly watcher!
I wanted to see them,but have not become obsessed with them!I've become more obsessed with the sunshine!
The Egyptians then built more hotels,etc to cope with the masses.They endeavoured to make progress,and with the tourists maybe they just saw a way to having a better standard of living.Well now the bubble seems to have burst!
Decline,poverty,hassle,muggings,weapon crime,GUNS,etc,etc.
Well if the tourists don't come back,who are you going to blame then for all these problems?Cos it'll be an ongoing situation!

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:51 pm

quote:Well if the tourists don't come back,who are you going to blame then for all these problems?Cos it'll be an ongoing situation!

Personally I don't find it a problem as I repeatedly state, Margate is ready and waiting to take your hard earn cash, so stay at home, help your economy and let Egyptian locals slowly realize that the 'gravy train is no-more.
'Tata, comos, thompsons and tattoos....:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:03 pm

Who2 wrote:quote:
'Tata, comos, thompsons and tattoos....:cool:
And "hello"poverty,deprivation and unemployment!!

Subversion

Post by Subversion » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:21 pm

The problem with Luxor's development was that it wasn't a ready made tourist destination for the masses. What it had in terms of "tourist attractions" were its cultural monuments and that was its traditional tourist market.

With the advent of cheap package deals to Luxor came masses of tourists who when they got there realised they wanted more than guaranteed sun - and that just wasn't available. There were no beaches, no bars as such, very few restaurants, nothing really for children to do....

The developers saw the potential for mass tourist numbers and tired to build a Luxor to fit. A few got rich - but many more got poorer.

It got tripped up by global economics, regional politics, and frankly not having local expertise able to plan strategic development - it's mistake was to put all its eggs in the tourist basket.

And just to put the cherry on the top - imagine an islamist government taking control of the UK and all of a sudden we can't drink alcohol, women are to cover their bodies head to toe, sleeping with someone outside of marriage is a punishable crime, eating pork is worse than eating dirt off the ground.....

Well the mass influx of Western culture on the people of Luxor was as shell shocking to them as the above would be to us.

And yes OK - many did make a living - that they are now unable to sustain - but to some extent they sold their soul in the process.

What is going on in Luxor now is no surprise - I recall conversations with ex-pats in Luxor 20 years ago - all of whom fairly accurately predicted this is where it would end up.

I don't think anyone is against better living standards, better healthcare, better education, less poverty - but I personally don't believe Luxor's route to it is not through continuing to chase the tourist tail - it needs a more balanced local economy - it needs jobs away from tourism.

The "Us and Them" attitude towards tourists going on comes down to resentment - they built Rome for "Us" and what have they got in return?

It isn't right that anyone gets threatened at gunpoint - but it's not that surprising really is it?

I don't think I've ever met anyone who lived in Luxor who thought it was Shangri La - in fact quite the reverse - it can be a good life - but it's not easily won and you have to work hard to keep it - was the general impression I got.

But those people who have chosen to live there - and who do defend it - I suspect do so because they have fought hard to build a life there and they have scratched the surface and they live it and feel it in a much more instinctive way than just what happens on the day to day. I think they are under no illusion that when it's good it's very very good but when it's bad it's an unimaginable hell.

If we all had to take a harsh look at our Crime stats in our local Cities for the last month - I guess Luxor would still compare favourably.

Sx

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:47 am

Very nicely put, Sub. :up
Carpe diem! :le:

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:50 am

You certainly make a few good points here Sub.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:19 am

We are all taught about the Ancient Egyptians ( all be it not the truth)
So, it's natural that many people will want to visit what they read about in "skool" . . :cool:

Everyone has a right to go where they want, we all have a god given right to travel.

Different people get different experiences form Luxor, nothing wrong with that, and I'm sure the "kiss me quick" hat wearing tourist does not return to Luxor.

Sadly people think they have more right than others to go to places, I never understood that mentality myself.. They will work it out in the end..
Book and over often comes to mind.. :cg
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.