Picture!

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Picture!

Post by Who2 »

Some old guy has joined my FB page and he has some amazing photos as below, he has an eye patch you know...:cool:

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Picture!

Post by Bullet Magnet »

He has changed somewhat over the years.. Less Simian looking these days don't you think.. ?

I love to look at these old pictures, when you can get to see them.. Thanks for posting Who2.. :up
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Fabulous! It's nice to get a photo on here that is nearly as big as the screen after you click no it, instead of the usual postage stamp size (even after clicking on it).
Carpe diem! :le:
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

Here's some of my favourite old pictures of the sphinx.

What was it with soldiers and the sphinx, I wonder!

I swear it's Oliver Hardy at the sphinx!

I'd love to have seen the sphinx in those days - much more romantic than now.
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Thank You Stan :up

All decent sized pictures.

I have a picture of the GP from those days that is quite revealing. It shows the wall, and because of the angle of the light, you can see that there are infact 8 sides to the GP, not 4 !! Now that takes the ancients building skills up another notch.
You can see how the sand has been bleached in a certain area too. Still visible on G.E.
Problem is, I cannot find the original which I put in my album on here, but got lost with a few others after the site changed format.
It may reside on one of myu old hard drives, after I upgraded my computer.. :|
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

"In his book The Egyptian Pyramids: A Comprehensive, Illustrated Reference, J.P. Lepre wrote:

One very unusual feature of the Great Pyramid is a concavity of the core that makes the monument an eight-sided figure, rather than four-sided like every other Egyptian pyramid. That is to say, that its four sides are hollowed in or indented along their central lines, from base to peak. This concavity divides each of the apparent four sides in half, creating a very special and unusual eight-sided pyramid; and it is executed to such an extraordinary degree of precision as to enter the realm of the uncanny. For, viewed from any ground position or distance, this concavity is quite invisible to the naked eye. The hollowing-in can be noticed only from the air, and only at certain times of the day. This explains why virtually every available photograph of the Great Pyramid does not show the hollowing-in phenomenon, and why the concavity was never discovered until the age of aviation. It was discovered quite by accident in 1940, when a British Air Force pilot, P. Groves, was flying over the pyramid. He happened to notice the concavity and captured it in the now-famous photograph. [p. 65]
This strange feature was not first observed in 1940. It was illustrated in La Description de l'Egypte in the late 1700's (Volume V, pl. 8). Flinders Petrie noticed a hollowing in the core masonry in the center of each face and wrote that he "continually observed that the courses of the core had dips of as much as ½° to 1°" (The Pyramids and Temples of Gizeh, 1883, p. 421). Though it is apparently more easily observed from the air, the concavity is measurable and is visible from the ground under favorable lighting conditions."

Full article at http://www.world-mysteries.com/mpl_2.htm

I don't have any ground level photos that show this but I have a couple of aerial ones that show it clearly. Both are satellite images, the first from Google Earth - look at historical images there, and go back to 2009 on the timeline. The second is an earlier IKONOS satellite image.

(Both cropped so sorry about the size!)
Stan
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Thank you once again Stan, :up
They really do show the geometric pattern very well, better than many I have seen.

The bleaching effect around the boat pit is quite obvious in your second picture, I wonder what caused that ?
I have my theory which I may present on the Atlantis topic. Soon as i get time to write it all down, again. :urm:

The picture I have, was taken from the top of one of the Other pyramids, and was taken in the late 19th Century.
There is still a huge section of wall in that picture. clearly a huge cleanup operation and massive effort was made to clear away the evidence of a wall. why that would be, was either ignorance which I very much doubt, or make the function of the Pyramid less obvious by removing the wall entireley.

No wonder the Arab religious lot want the Pyramids gone, their releigion and all others lose credibilty once the Pyramids many functions become obvious, or at least, sufficent evidence is presented to rule out the elaborate "Tomb" theory..
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Thank you LL.

Fascinating and thank you for the link. Odd that the concavity is not more popularly known.

The trivia question 'how many sides to the great pyramid' just got a lot harder for most to answer.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Wow! So, what theories have been proposed as to the reason for these cavities?
Carpe diem! :le:
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

What Arab lot want the pyramids gone? There are a few theories for the concavity, the main one being that it would make the covering stones more stable. Menkaure's pyramid also shows a concavity, but not Kephren's. Maybe different architects had different ideas!
Stan