Return visit

A place for new members to tell the forum members a little bit about themselves and their interest in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ianb

Return visit

Post by Ianb » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:29 am

Thought it time to say hello as I have been reading this forum for a couple of weeks now.
We have booked a Nile cruise in August followed by a week in Luxor,we did this 4 years ago and had the time of our lives, I am now wondering how many changes we are going to see and to be honest I have thought of cancelling this week but that may be a bit hasty .
Ian

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:39 am

Hi Ian, welcome to Luxor4u.

It's easy to understand why people would be thinking of cancelling their holidays at the moment but August is a long way off yet (although February got here quicker than expected for me) and no one really knows what is going to happen tomorrow, next week or next month and certainly not what the situation will be in six months time. Keep your eye on things and, of couse, watch your cancellation deadlines, but in the meantime look forwards to your return visit to Luxor.

I'm sure after a four year abence you will notice some changes but then nowhere stays the same!

Now you've made your first post here I hope you will feel free to join in other threads too. :)
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Ianb

Post by Ianb » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:52 am

Thanks for that HEPZIBAH I hope to be joining in from time to time.
Ian

Arthur

Post by Arthur » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:04 pm

Hi Ian, enjoy your time here and I hope you have another fabulous trip. It's extremely hot in August, but I expect you know that.

These are desperate times in Egypt and as Hepzi says no one can predict what will happen next. But take heart that despite everything that has happened in the last year a million british holidaymakers still came and I'm sure most had a fabulous time. And most probably felt a bit jittery at the prospect of what they would find.

You'll have your own good reasons for renewing your attraction to the country, its history and people. Nobody can give you any guarantees, they can only share their own experiences. At the end of the day it's up to you to decide whether its safe enough to have the holiday you want.

I guess you'll watch the situation and check in here and the FCO's travel advice. I hope it all goes to plan and you have another dream holiday.

sue

Post by sue » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:43 pm

Welcome IanB, I hope you enjoy the forum. Things seem to change from day to day but I think Luxor seems to remain fairly constant. When I was there in November I think I was the one being more aware and more careful, in truth I am not certain anything had really altered for the average tourist though.
I am sure you will have a brilliant time, even if quite a bit of it is seeking out the air-con in August.

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:31 am

Welcome IanB - things are rough here but it really does not effect the tourist, only the people that live here, and that is mainly the frustrtaion of nothing happening and the frustration of no one wanting to do anything... For tourists I think you will find things ok because what happens here does not effect your everyday life...

Ianb

Re: Return visit

Post by Ianb » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:03 pm

Found out this morning that we will not be returning to Luxor as Cosmos have withdrawn the Luxor flight for the summer,I'm not happy :x :x :x
Ian

Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Chocolate Eclair » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:20 pm

You will find that Cosmos who generally use Monarch Airways and EasyJet are not flying at all during the peak Summer, those who will be flying are FlyThomson, and maybe Fly ThomasCook and Firstchoich who are apart of Tui Group.. when i was a tourist I always found Cosmos a bit expensive compared to others... Depending on what part of the UK you live, you often get good deals with EgyptAir but they only fly from Heathrow, have you thought of booking your flight and your cruise seperatly??

Ianb

Post by Ianb » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:54 pm

As we fly from Manchester the options for those dates don't look good.
Ianb