A Tale of Two Tunnels, Supplementary.

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

On the part two section, JoJo asked if I had any pictures of the inside of the tunnels and as I did not, I set off yesterday to try and remedy the situation.
Obviously to take a picture looking up a tunnel you must either be inside it, or be able to stand in the canal itself and look into the tunnel. I dismissed the second option and decided to have a word with my friendly keeper.

“Good morning” I said stepping into the keepers office, “All right mate” he replied “wot can I elp you wiv?”

“I was speaking to your colleague the other day” I explained . “That would be Charlie mate! eez not er t'day”

I looked at his little weasel face, then at his regulation jacket which was topped off with an obligatory fluorescent life jacket. I also wondered if the food crumbs down the jacket front were another of his accessories, similar to the single jewel encrusted earring that flashed in the sunlight. The last time I saw one that glitzy, it was being worn by my late aunty Agnes.
Or maybe I had just surprised him as he chomped on his pie ;)

We had already established that I was his ‘mate’ as he used the phrase at every opportunity, so I decided to push my luck.
“Is it still possible to take a photograph from inside the tunnel?”
“No mate! Wiv the doors shut, you cannot get a picture”
“Can I go through that little wooden door at the side, after you shut the big doors and take a picture?” I enquired.
“No mate, I can go through the door, but you can’t”
“In that case can I go wiv ….. er with you?”
“Sorry mate! no can do”
“Well if I give you my camera, can you take a picture for me?”

I watched his face as he mentally wrestled with the complexities of pressing a button on my camera, I thought that it was the least he could do for me as after all I had learned a whole new language in order to converse with him. He was obviously bursting with enthusiasm, so I told him never mind and I would try some other method. Unfortunately the tunnel closes this weekend until next years boating season starts again and is only opened by giving 48 hours notice.

Just then a barge arrived at the tunnel and I did my best to get a picture by sticking my camera inside, just before my ‘mate’ closed the ventilation doors, so regrettably it is not a very clear picture, but will give you some idea of how claustrophobic it is.

The outer ventilation doors when closed.

Just visible is the bricked arch of the tunnel roof, it is this size and shape throughout its length. The mist is from the diesel fumes already starting to build up. Note the remnant of the old towpath on the right where old misery could have let me stand to get a better picture.

This is looking up the remaining stretch of the original James Brindley ‘legging’ tunnel which is situated on the left of the later one built by Thomas Telford. It is now gated off for safety and has only seepage water flowing out which is heavily contaminated by iron oxide.

A close up of the gated entrance, just visible is the brick lining of the tunnel. It was upon this roof that the ‘Bargees’ would push with their legs to propel the barges through, hence ‘Legging Tunnel’
Imagine what a tight fit it would be with a 90 foot long barge floating on the water!

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by Goddess »

Awww! Always has to be one miser on the planet don't there! Excellent photos anyway though H. Job well done!

.... and your next project is??? :lol:
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Thanks for rounding off your tale of Harecastle tunnels H......we are all a little wiser now. :)

No doubt it is 'elf 'n saf'ty that prohibits old miseryguts from letting you get your picture. Either that or you failed to slip into his lingo and the exchange was a few 'mates' short of a conversation. :)
Grandad :gg:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Thanks folks at least it puts that little project to bed :)
Not sure what the next one might be Goddess, I just seem to wander about and take a few pictures on anything I find interesting, any suggestions? (keep it clean :lol: )
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

Horus wrote:any suggestions? (keep it clean :lol: )
Got any old public baths or spas near you? :oops: We went to the local waterworks open day whan we were in the UK, that was fairly clean :)

Great pictures Horus. Maybe you could stow away or send your camera on a barge going through next year ;)
JOJO
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Palestine

Post by JOJO »

Wow - well done you. I wouldn't of rested until I could see what the tunnel was like!

Now a new project, seeming as it is the hallow season I think something spooky is in order.
What was that old house you told us about yonks ago? There must be plenty of old buildings around you with the reputation of the odd spook or two.
Goddess and I would love some night time photos with the possibility of the odd orb in some remote location at the dead of night.
How about an all night vigil so not only do we get some spooky photos but a cracking story too. :) :) :D