Moneymaking Machine!

Post details here of scams you have discovered or hassles you have experienced.
10+ posts are required to post in this section.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Moneymaking Machine!

Post by BENNU » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:37 am

- My laptop has died, so as an emergency solution I went to purchase a cute little netbook here and now. At Vodafone I told them that I'd come back with cash from the ATM across the street. They looked at me like I was crazy and said: "Why? WE have a machine!", and I let them persuade me to pay with Visa. I got a receipt with no amount on it, as they said my card had been rejected. A collegue came, and I was stupid enough to trust them and try again, only to be told one more time that my card was rejected. I payed cash, and when I used webbank on my HP mini, I learned that I had payed for my new toy THREE TIMES!

- Now I don't suspect Vodafone of scamming their customers, of course, however I didn't recall having agreed to giving them a loan of EGP 5300, so I went to the store to get my money back. But Vodafone feels no responsibility! Five thousand and three hundred pounds have been transferred FROM my account to "Vodafone Luxor", but they say that nothing has happened! The name Vodafone Luxor only refers to the bank's terminal that "rejected" my card, not to Vodafone, it's OUTOFTHEIRHANDS.

- Vodafone says this "happens all the time", so I don't know why they persuaded me to use "THEIR" machine instead of the ATM across the street.

- This particular ATM, BTW, once took EGP 2000 from my account without giving me any cash. The manager immediately acknowledged the problem and promised to return the money in two weeks, but it took my Danish bank four months of hard struggle to get the money back. At a lower rate! This time my bank doesn't feel like helping me, but Vodafone says that their bank will return the money in two weeks. We'll see.

- Things may be inexpensive here, but living in a developing country sometimes costs a lot.

Claire

Terrible

Post by Claire » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:20 pm

That is terrible. I don't know what to suggest but I hope you can sort something out. I would be discussing it with my bank or card provider and seeing if they can sort it. Good luck anyway.

Scorpio37

Post by Scorpio37 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:09 pm

I have had a similar problem of an ATM not giving me my money but supplying a receipt showing cash had been withdrawn ,after weeks of attempting to get it back,both banks home and abroad I was finally advised to get in contact with the home banks fraud department,who within day's refunded my money as an interim payment then proceeded to deal with the matter themselves.I can only say it must have been resolved as I have heard nothing more to this day,and that was several weeks ago. You should have your banks home No. on the rear of your bank card.
If you dont have dreams whats the point of dreaming?.

drwho

Post by drwho » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:36 pm

Is this Vodafone in TV Street ? if so this should be posted LARGE on the 'Warnings and Not Recommended sections and every-body should state their disapproval next visit I will.
A couple of house-bricks through their windows should get their attention, that's really disgusting behavior write to Vodaphone HQ address it to Mr Vittorio Colao the MD, mention my name, mind you I don't know him and he doesn't know me but it will worry him........8)
Vodafone ? Scammers who'd have thought it ?

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:25 pm

Absolutely disgusting!! :evil:
I have many issues with Vodaphone cutting off my DSL service when they have had my money...paid through the Luxor Branch in TV Street but not passed to HO in Cairo.
Perhaps a little delegation of dissatisfied customers might change they mind and attitude :)

Does your card company give you protection against fraudulent transactions?

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:25 pm

Bennu sorry to hear about the rip off :cry:

I don't know whether this link will help but it can't hurt, & at least the threat of it might work.

http://www.cpa.gov.eg/english/ComplaintForm.aspx

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:13 pm

drwho wrote:Is this Vodafone in TV Street ? if so this should be posted LARGE on the 'Warnings and Not Recommended sections and every-body should state their disapproval next visit I will.
A couple of house-bricks through their windows should get their attention, that's really disgusting behavior write to Vodaphone HQ address it to Mr Vittorio Colao the MD, mention my name, mind you I don't know him and he doesn't know me but it will worry him........8)
Vodafone ? Scammers who'd have thought it ?
- Yes, TV Street. Don't waste your bricks, isn't there some left over Swiss sausage? I'll contact Vodafone HQ, they were very professional there, when I got my first dongle thing, which was something new and expensive then. Some years ago, when I went there to get an extra sim, they REALLY rolled out the red carpet, when they asked for my address and I said Ghezira... I let them stay in the illusion, that it was the exclusive Cairo Ghezira :lol:

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:21 pm

BBLUX wrote:Absolutely disgusting!! :evil:
I have many issues with Vodaphone cutting off my DSL service when they have had my money...paid through the Luxor Branch in TV Street but not passed to HO in Cairo.
Perhaps a little delegation of dissatisfied customers might change they mind and attitude :)

Does your card company give you protection against fraudulent transactions?
- They did say, it happens all the time, and it's nothing! (What's 5300 to a European woman..?!)

- I'll get my money, just don't know how..!

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:33 pm

Scorpio37 wrote:I have had a similar problem of an ATM not giving me my money but supplying a receipt showing cash had been withdrawn ,after weeks of attempting to get it back,both banks home and abroad I was finally advised to get in contact with the home banks fraud department,who within day's refunded my money as an interim payment then proceeded to deal with the matter themselves.I can only say it must have been resolved as I have heard nothing more to this day,and that was several weeks ago. You should have your banks home No. on the rear of your bank card.
- When this happened to me, I got no receipt. It was weekend and I was nervous - the same day I had already had some money stolen, so when I went to the bank with a man who knew the manager, I was ready to kill! But they knew of the problem and could see that I was right, but it was outoftheirhands it was Cairo... My bank said it was very complicated, and when I was in Denmark months later, they kept calling me about it. And now I contact them again from the same banana republique...

Scorpio37

Post by Scorpio37 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:28 pm

I know the ATM;s IN England are private distributors of cash and are not realy the responsibility of the bank it is sited at,
I am not sure if this is the case in Egypt and not knowing which bank you use I thought it best to inform your home bank the overseas No. should be on the back of your card that I believe is the best action to take it worked for me.Who else better for advice? It can take a long time to get a result thats why your home bank reimburse you with an interim payment although once agian you have a different country to deal with and maybe thier system is different,best of luck.

Sorry to hear you also had money stolen about par for the course in Egypt I would think.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:49 pm

- But my home bank for more than 30 years doesn't seem to help me this time. I contacted them over a week ago now. I entered my pin twice, so I guess I'm responsible. On my webbank it only says: Vodafone Luxor, so I believe more in Dr. Who's methods! According to Vodafone THEIR bank will return the money eight days from now, but as I mailed my home bank: don't know whether that's bank days (don't know if you call it that in English, but it sounds good in Danish) or Egyptian days.

Helsx

Rip Off

Post by Helsx » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:18 am

Bennu, have you thought about going to see the Tourist Police? It can't do any harm. They will just take a report from you and contact Vodaphone directly. I know it is different, but, a short while after I had landed in Luxor, I bought a ring. After showing people and telling them the price, I felt I had been ripped off totally. I went to the Tourist Police and they were very helpful, I got my money back, the shop owner would not listen to me at all. Give it a go. :bd:
Love Your Life and Live your dreams

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:12 pm

FABlux wrote:Bennu sorry to hear about the rip off :cry:

I don't know whether this link will help but it can't hurt, & at least the threat of it might work.

http://www.cpa.gov.eg/english/ComplaintForm.aspx
- This looks efficient, FABlux!

- About the Tourist Police, Helsx, I've had a reason to go there twice. First time they were friendly and asked me to tell any foreigners I knew, that they are here for us, and take foreigners seriously. Hereby done! They didn't help me, though, and when I returned a year later in a different matter, they got suspiscious of me! Think that's what's happened with my bank as well - who ever gets problems with Visa twice in one country?

- Vodafone said, Banque Misr will return the money 17 days after they took it from me in Vodafone Luxor's name, that's saturday next week. Even that is not acceptable as I can lose a lot just on the exchange rate, it's MY money and I need to know where it is. I see it as Vodafone's responsibility, so I'll go higher in their system, since the MANAGER i TV-street refuses to do anything. Why wait?

- Just looked at my old correspondance with my bank two years ago, when the ATM didn't work and they took 2000 LE. The Egyptian bank had said ONE WEEK, sooner if I called my bank. It took FOUR months and without my bank's help the money would be lost.

Countessa
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Countessa » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:04 pm

Yikes, sorry to read of your experience Bennu.

I've had the ATM experience of getting a receipt with no money, and the money being debited from my UK account. I contacted NatWest who got in touch with Credit Agricole and the money was credited back to my account within a week.

Re. the Vodafone ATM machine - which bank's machine is it? I'd say the bank surely has to bear responsibility, rather than the retailer?
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:41 pm

Countessa wrote:Yikes, sorry to read of your experience Bennu.

I've had the ATM experience of getting a receipt with no money, and the money being debited from my UK account. I contacted NatWest who got in touch with Credit Agricole and the money was credited back to my account within a week.

Re. the Vodafone ATM machine - which bank's machine is it? I'd say the bank surely has to bear responsibility, rather than the retailer?
- I'd say, the bank is responsible to Vodafone, and Vodafone to me, and I should expect my bank in DK to take care of it. My webbank says: Vodafone Luxor, The receits say: Banque Misr Vodafone Egypt. It's one of those little things where Vodafone takes your card and only asks you to enter your pin. They said: WE have a machine! NOW it's not theirs, but it has their name.

- I've written to Vodafone and let them know, that they're losing valuable foreign customers in Luxor.

Countessa
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Countessa » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:47 pm

Such a horrible situation - sounds like you're going round in circles :(

Hope you get it sorted soon. x
I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure...

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:58 am

- It's now 15 days since my money "dissappeared in the system", as Vodafone says. Vodafone says the bank is responsible, MY home bank says Vodafone is responsible as Vodafone Luxor has officially received the money from me, but not from their bank. I've written to Vodafone Egypt twice and they promised to answer within 48 hours, which they haven't, and I cannot prove this, because I filled a form on their web page.

- My bank kept refusing to do anything about it, so yesterday I informed them, no bluff, that I'd find another bank next time I'm in Copenhagen. They asked for my Egyptian number, and just called to apologize :) and wish me a happy weekend. NOW they'll help, though they say they need my signature, but an email will have to do.

- I'm confident now! Hamdulillah!

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:16 pm

Great news that they are actually taking responsibility at last :D

Shame you had to threaten to leave but that is always the way isn't it :x

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:05 pm

- Now I've been fighting for my 5300 pounds for seven weeks, and I am SO tired of this! I have proof and everybody knows that I'm right, but no money has been returned! Just tired of empty words from every part of this, I've told Vodafone Egypt to consider this a complaint about their Luxor branch, this is a crime that will be reported to the Police. I've told my bank how easy it is for banks in UK to get their clients money back, but without their help, I wouldn't have gotten my money back LAST time Banque Misr decided to keep it. Don't know what gives Banque Misr the right to take people's money, promise to return it, and keep it anyway. It is a crime!

- One good thing about Vodafone, they pay their staff well! The young man at the counter had lost EGP 6000 from his Visa the same way, no big deal 8) . Nothing has happened, it's just EGP 5300.

- But it's mine" :x :evil:

Scorpio37

Post by Scorpio37 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:40 pm

I am sorry to hear that it is still on going,does your bank have a fraud section if so try them but dont give up the fight.good luck.