$10,000, no chance.

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

$10,000, no chance.

Post by Dusak »

Egypt, like most countries have all allowed $ 10,000 to leave the country without declaring it. While leaving Egypt I noted a lot of new signs stating you were only allowed $ 5,000 now. Do they really think this will be observed by folk such as myself that had the equivalent of $7,000? They really are clutching at straws in their attempt to keep the foreign currency in Egypt. I'm now in thailand for the remainder of my life, already feeling less stressed and content with my new life.

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: $10,000, no chance.

Post by A-Four »

Well done Dusak, they might have the signs at Egypt's airports but they do not have the dogs like they do at British airports that are trained to sniff out money being carried out of the country. I remember the days when you could only take £350 out of the U.K., and it had to be registered at the back of your passport before leaving the country.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

£350??? "You were lucky!" Hahaha! On our first trip to the 'continent' I smuggled £50 out against a £25 limit, just in case we got into some sort of 'foreign' trouble. When we did, not far from Marseille, we ended up booking into an hotel which left us with only a few measly Franks to get something to eat (between 4 of us who hadn't eaten since breakfast) but the hotel restaurant wouldn't entertain our English pounds, and there was nowhere to change cash at 9 o'clock at night!
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Goodness me Teddyboy I don't remember those days thank God.

Strange though it may sound, a few hours after I posted yesterday Egypt's main banks had restricted the amount that their own people can withdraw from their accounts to travel abroad and must show proof of their international travel, and thus will be entered in each person's passport. The maximum amount is $250.

At this time the official exchange rate for the $ is about 30LE, though the media is stating that the black market rate is almost double that, which is quite unbelievable, if true.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

It's quite obvious Egypt is going through a cash crisis, but what they are doing in most cases is the wrong way. Many Brits and Europeans living there are better if than local with the exchange rate as it is at the moment, even though prices have rocketed and gone through the roof. It seems although they know this, they want to make their lives unbearable. Far to much regulation, is driving what was once called Cash Cows are been driven away! You can bet there are people living there would love to get away but are restricted by the restrictions put in them. Come on stop all these regulations and make the Country like it used to be.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

A-Four wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:49 am Goodness me Teddyboy I don't remember those days thank God.

Strange though it may sound, a few hours after I posted yesterday Egypt's main banks had restricted the amount that their own people can withdraw from their accounts to travel abroad and must show proof of their international travel, and thus will be entered in each person's passport. The maximum amount is $250.

At this time the official exchange rate for the $ is about 30LE, though the media is stating that the black market rate is almost double that, which is quite unbelievable, if true.
Quite true, I had to pay 58Le to the $ when I left, this last trip cost me 300,000Le for 2,500 euros and 1,200$.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Flipping hummer A4 that is a lot of cash, was it worth it?
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Major Thom wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:37 am Flipping hummer A4 that is a lot of cash, was it worth it?
No, that's not me M.T., I got out years ago, sad to say it was Dusak, I only say sad because that person put more into Egypt than probably even you and I combined. It's that which makes me sad, for it was he who helped so many others there in Luxor also. I am certain having spoken to people I know in Thailand as to where his new home is, he will have a wonderful 'rest of his life', as he puts it.

I think I only met this gentleman once, and that was outside a certain Indian restaurant in Little Britain, and that was many years ago.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

A-Four wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:34 pm
Major Thom wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:37 am Flipping hummer A4 that is a lot of cash, was it worth it?
No, that's not me M.T., I got out years ago, sad to say it was Dusak, I only say sad because that person put more into Egypt than probably even you and I combined. It's that which makes me sad, for it was he who helped so many others there in Luxor also. I am certain having spoken to people I know in Thailand as to where his new home is, he will have a wonderful 'rest of his life', as he puts it.

I think I only met this gentleman once, and that was outside a certain Indian restaurant in Little Britain, and that was many years ago.
Yes, many years ago, sadly Russel is no longer with us and the resturant has taken a nose dive since. One of my main problems was my willingness to help others, one such person I really thought I could trust left owing me 170,000Le, the guaranteed repayment just never arrived before I left, but I will lose no sleep over it. The true costs of my losses due to the ridiculous exchange rates over the last 18 months was in the region of 1 million Le, the money I recieved for my 2 apartments was reduced from 40,000 euros to an end exchange of 21,000. But again, I lose no sleep over it, all water under the bridge as they say.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

It's sometimes hard to resist helping others Dusak because in general we are a nation of trustworthy people. I know what it's like, I personally got took for £33,000 back in 2010 when the LE was just over 10 to the pound Stirling. I knew at the time I would not get a penny back, even though there were numerous court cases. In the end when it was a major court case coming up, the person was told 3 or 4 days before by a court representative and this gave the person time to flee Luxor. But also following contact to the hotel outside Egypt, this person bluffed the hotel by saying they were submitted to a load of lies and consistent threats and the hotel took sympathy on them and let them stay. They left the hotel eventually without paying. That money came from a large pension fund I had paid into over many years. So it's hard for me to trust anyone anymore. So I do sympathise with you.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

In all my times going backwards and forwards to Egypt the one thing I learnt was never trust an Egyptian with love or money. I’ve been in situations where I wanted to buy an apartment but pulled out of the deal because my gut feeling was don’t trust your lawyer.

Regarding love I’ve found out most guys are bisexual. The bottom line is money oh and visas of course. As long as you stay on top of things then I guess you’ll be ok.