New Visa Requirements.

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

New Visa Requirements.

Post by A-Four »

As I posted earlier this year Egypt is doing everything it possibly can to raise hard currency, through the 'back door' one might say. The world banks are some what rather disappointed that Egypt is not selling off it assets to the private sector as it promised.

Having recently had great success raising hard currency from its efforts to gain from Egyptians who left the country before doing their national service, it's now time to clobber the visa market.

To obtain a new or re-new a residence visa, this has to be made (by post) via its main office in Abbasiya, the cost is LE500 per year, plus LE500 for a proof card. (Evidence must show LE money was exchanged from hard currency at local level.)

In June the government introduced a multi-visas to last for five years that allows repeat entry upto 90 days at a cost of $700, (and yes, payable in hard currency.)

This all might sound a little crazy to some on here, and full details are not really available, the local passport office in your area of Egypt hopefully by now should have more details. I should further note that, I understand there are fixed fines for delay, plus additional processing charges, ....I'm sure I don't need to remind you, but yes,.......also to paid in hard currency.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Re: New Visa Requirements.

Post by BENNU »

My ticket was confirmed but I had not received the digital boarding pass from Egyptair and I was blocked from checking in at Copenhagen Airport. It took the Star Alliance staff three phone calls to learn why. I was going for more than three months and before they could check me in, I had to promise that I would get a visa extension in Luxor. I wish that they had mentioned that I needed to change hard currency to 2000 EGP, then I would have bought some dollars or euros at the airport.

In March when I plan to return to Egypt after a month, I am supposed to spend another $25+70 since they no longer offer re entry visa.

I have not heard of anyone who has managed to get the $700 five year visa at arrival in Cairo, but I shall try next time. It only allows you to stay 90 days at a time.
Chris
Egypt

Post by Chris »

Does anyone know how to get the 5 year multi entry visa. I did contact the Egyptian Government evisa office and it advised me to visit my local Egyptian Embassy for information! I have emailed the London Embassy and am waiting a response

Of course, the local passport office have no information about such a visa.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

There is a bit of a scandal going on with a number of different types of visas, with regards residential, am travelling at the moment, but will write up info by late tonight.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

BENNU wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:41 am they no longer offer re entry visa.
Well, they do offer one reentry!
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

A-Four wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:52 pm There is a bit of a scandal going on with a number of different types of visas, with regards residential, am travelling at the moment, but will write up info by late tonight.
Sorry about delay, but very tired by the time I got home last night.

THE $1,000 VISA TO ENTER EGYPT ?

In mid September this year the Egyptian government announced a new Visa system that all foreigners would have to buy a $1,000 Visa, the press throughout the Arab world press had a field day with such a statement which was quickly denied. The new decree made it clear that this new 'Visa' is for people who are illegal resident in the country. The new law require such people to register before the end of December, otherwise there will be further charges of LE500 for administration, processing,etc,etc. I understand that this period of registration has been extended to 15th March next year. Evidently this is because of the possible new influx of people through the Gaza.

The new press release also added that since the beginning of the Suddan war, more than 200,000 people from there had entered Egypt. Also another little detail will be required and that is evidence of where they live, and to whom they pay rent to,......evidently for tax purposes.

This whole new Visa issue for residents is a bit of a mess, and I would give it a while to sort itself out.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

A-Four wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:43 am ... since the beginning of the Suddan war, more than 200,000 people from there had entered Egypt. Also another little detail will be required and that is evidence of where they live, and to whom they pay rent ...
In 1991, I met a Sudanese refugee who had lived in Denmark long enough to speak our language fluently. When his father was taken to a hospital in Cairo, he went to see him. He was very surprised to find many (he said all) of his childhood friends living in Cairo as refugees. I also performed with a Sudanese dancer who had met her Danish husband in Cairo where she had lived as a refugee in the nineties.

Since I arrived in 2005, I have noticed many refugees in Cairo, especially from Sudan, long before the current situation.

Getting a visa has become annoyingly complicated and expensive, but as frustrating as that is, at least I am grateful that all I want to escape is the climate of my beautiful country where I still have a safe base and live in freedom. I could of course run away to sunnier parts of EU or stay at home and complain about the weather.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Just a quick update on what I wrote above. Apparently since 1956 Egyptian and Sudanese people both have dual citizenship, and can come and go as they wish, according to an old Egyptian friend who live in the U.K. He believes that it is the other 6 million who are living there that are illegal immigrants.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

These new visa rules are a typical load of egyptian ********. My last visa, under the old rules, paid for my 1 year, got 6 months, I asked why, they said because I entered via Cairo! What do they expect me to do, parachute into Luxor.
This last renewal, which is supposed to be ready next week, was a ridiculous exercise. I filling in the usual form and handed it in, they asked me had I got the 70 euros to pay for it, I said yes. Ok go and change it and come back with the Egyptian money, which I did, just another taxi ride. Got back and handed in all the usual paperwork, one of which was my electricity bill, same as the last 16 years. Sorry, no good now we need a copy of your ownership documents, so another taxi ride home and back. I then had to wait 4 hours to get my photo done and pay, the place was ful of Sudanese folk getting their permission to stay, I saw that they had the currency payment papers for $25. It was lucky I had the 70 euros to change, because the exchange house and banks are refusing to sell any foriegn currency for the last 4 months, so this would of mean that I would have had to buy 70 euros on the black market at a cost of 54 Le per 1 euro, then change them for 33 Le for 1 euro.
So I decided there and then, after nearly 18 years living here its bye bye Egypt. On the 13th of January I leave to live out my life in Thailand. This country is sinking faster than the Titanic.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Dusak wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:09 am These new visa rules are a typical load of egyptian ********. My last visa, under the old rules, paid for my 1 year, got 6 months, I asked why, they said because I entered via Cairo! What do they expect me to do, parachute into Luxor.
This last renewal, which is supposed to be ready next week, was a ridiculous exercise. I filling in the usual form and handed it in, they asked me had I got the 70 euros to pay for it, I said yes. Ok go and change it and come back with the Egyptian money, which I did, just another taxi ride. Got back and handed in all the usual paperwork, one of which was my electricity bill, same as the last 16 years. Sorry, no good now we need a copy of your ownership documents, so another taxi ride home and back. I then had to wait 4 hours to get my photo done and pay, the place was ful of Sudanese folk getting their permission to stay, I saw that they had the currency payment papers for $25. It was lucky I had the 70 euros to change, because the exchange house and banks are refusing to sell any foriegn currency for the last 4 months, so this would of mean that I would have had to buy 70 euros on the black market at a cost of 54 Le per 1 euro, then change them for 33 Le for 1 euro.
So I decided there and then, after nearly 18 years living here its bye bye Egypt. On the 20th of January I leave to live out my life in Thailand. This country is sinking faster than the Titanic.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I'm so eager to leave I don't even het my dates right 😂
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I find it very sad to read Dusak's recent posts, that he is now leaving Luxor, a place I know from reading his posts for many years, that he now finds it impossible to live there. He has really lived the life of being part of Luxor, or should I really say Karnack village. He has always told us the truth how he see it. I have never seen this person, as someone who gives up easy. We have seen over the years, through his posts on here, how he improved his home, even advising people where to get certain DIY products locally. I even know of his help for a certain animal charity.

However, when the likes of this wonderful person realises enough is enough, in a land I know he loved so much, there is much to be said. For people who only stay for a few months things are very different, however when it is your home, like it once was mine, towards the end of the Mubarak period it was hell, so l left and became a tourist there.

So, I understand Dusak is going off to live Thailand, two of my own family now live there and are very happy, they in Ko-lanta near Crabbie (sp), and I hope Sir, you will find as much happiness there, as they do.

Safe journey for you, and remember it's a new life and a happy one, as do my own family now know.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

A-Four wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:03 pm I find it very sad to read Dusak's recent posts, that he is now leaving Luxor, a place I know from reading his posts for many years, that he now finds it impossible to live there. He has really lived the life of being part of Luxor, or should I really say Karnack village. He has always told us the truth how he see it. I have never seen this person, as someone who gives up easy. We have seen over the years, through his posts on here, how he improved his home, even advising people where to get certain DIY products locally. I even know of his help for a certain animal charity.

However, when the likes of this wonderful person realises enough is enough, in a land I know he loved so much, there is much to be said. For people who only stay for a few months things are very different, however when it is your home, like it once was mine, towards the end of the Mubarak period it was hell, so l left and became a tourist there.

So, I understand Dusak is going off to live Thailand, two of my own family now live there and are very happy, they in Ko-lanta near Crabbie (sp), and I hope Sir, you will find as much happiness there, as they do.

Safe journey for you, and remember it's a new life and a happy one, as do my own family now know.
Thank you A four. I will be living in Buriram, my new county retreat, well away from the maddening crowds. I really expected to end my days here, but now the days have ended for me, burocratic ted tape has destroyed the country, with mismanagement taking the lead roll.