Curious.

If you have any suggestions about this site or if you need any help with accessing or posting on the forum, including any computer, Internet or General problems, then post here.
Guests can post in this section. Guest posts will not show till a moderator approves the post.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Curious.

Post by A-Four »

I am a little curious to learn whether members of this forum have what I understand are 'alerts' when other member post on here. It seems obvious to me that such as DJKeefy and moderators have this facility, though myself as a member, I do not have such an option, nor am I really bothered, though as I write, I remain curious as to whether other individuals have such a facility.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Curious.

Post by newcastle »

250A5209-FBC9-4A9E-8097-ADE0E9948732.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I have no idea what an alert looks like... 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

What an odd opening post!

Panic not A-Four. Members do not get alerts (unless of course I'm also excluded from receiving them) when other members post.
From memory, and assuming things have not changed, Moderators do not get alerts when members post either.

Perhaps you are confusing alerts with the tagging system in used on social media sites such as Facebook. In that situation it is possible to bring posts to specified people's attention.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:22 pm What an odd opening post!

Panic not A-Four. Members do not get alerts (unless of course I'm also excluded from receiving them) when other members post.
From memory, and assuming things have not changed, Moderators do not get alerts when members post either.

Perhaps you are confusing alerts with the tagging system in used on social media sites such as Facebook. In that situation it is possible to bring posts to specified people's attention.
You can be alerted to a PM.... but not simply to posts. I can’t recall whether the PM alert ( a message to your mail account) is automatic or something you’ve opted for.

No doubt Keefy will clarify all and satisfy A-Four’s curiosity....although perhaps he’s got better things to do with his time! :lol:
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

A-Four wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:42 am I am a little curious to learn whether members of this forum have what I understand are 'alerts' when other member post on here. It seems obvious to me that such as DJKeefy and moderators have this facility, though myself as a member, I do not have such an option, nor am I really bothered, though as I write, I remain curious as to whether other individuals have such a facility.
If you make a post and someone hits the thanks button or quotes your post, then the Little Bell icon at the top of the page will turn red.
Check for that now, as I Thanked your post and quoted you. 😎

When you next login and you see that bell icon is red, tap on it and it will let you know what activity has been flagged.
I can't be sure A-Four, but I think this may be the default behaviour.🤔

You can also be alerted by email, ( that is the email address you submitted when you joined the forum. )

For that, and enabling the red bell, you need to go into the
user control panel
By tapping the icon that displays your username at the top of the page
and select

User control panel
Then select

Board preferences
Then select

Edit notification options

There are a series of check boxes you can tick.
These are self explanatory.
Once you have done that, scroll to the bottom and hit the

Submit button

Hope that helps. Any problems then PM me.

D
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

@John Landon

None of the above alerts you to when a member has made a new post...which is what- I think- A-Four was asking.

That you can only do by logging into the forum....when you can see notifications ( if activated), new posts etc.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Well that will become obvious to him if that is the case.

Though if you are following a topic then you can be alerted to that. Regardless of Whether you were quoted or Thanked. Which is what I presumed A-Four was enquiring about. 🤔

I doubt he would want an alert to every single post made here, unless his curiousity levels have exceeded that of our Feline friends. 😂
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

John Landon wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:10 pm Well that will become obvious to him if that is the case.

Though if you are following a topic then you can be alerted to that. Regardless of Whether you were quoted or Thanked. Which is what I presumed A-Four was enquiring about. 🤔
You might be right.

If you “bookmark” a topic you can be alerted, by email, to almost anything regarding that topic...though God knows why you’d want to be. I get enough garbage already emailed to me :lol:

I doubt he would want an alert to every single post made here, unless his curiousity levels have exceeded that of our Feline friends. 😂
You’d be surprised! Well....at least as far as his own gems of wisdom are concerned :lol:

He keeps a record of each and every post he makes....date, time etc.....in order to refer to his prescience whenever he considers it relevant. As Keefy culls the forum from time to time, I imagine he keeps a physical copy of his posts in case they’re deleted at some future point.

Beats watching paint dry.....possibly :ct
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

That's alot of lerts....in my book..... 8)

Ps: Bit like tube graffiti " I love grils"
underneath "I think you mean girls!"
underneath "What about us grils ?"
Sophocles.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:02 pm
HEPZIBAH wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:22 pm What an odd opening post!

You can be alerted to a PM.... but not simply to posts. I can’t recall whether the PM alert ( a message to your mail account) is automatic or something you’ve opted for.

No doubt Keefy will clarify all and satisfy A-Four’s curiosity....although perhaps he’s got better things to do with his time! :lol:
It was specifically posts that A-Four mentioned. That was one of the reasons I found it an odd post.
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

John Landon wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:28 pm
A-Four wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:42 am I am a little curious to learn whether members of this forum have what I understand are 'alerts' when other member post on here. It seems obvious to me that such as DJKeefy and moderators have this facility, though myself as a member, I do not have such an option, nor am I really bothered, though as I write, I remain curious as to whether other individuals have such a facility.
If you make a post and someone hits the thanks button or quotes your post, then the Little Bell icon at the top of the page will turn red.
Check for that now, as I Thanked your post and quoted you. 😎

When you next login and you see that bell icon is red, tap on it and it will let you know what activity has been flagged.
I can't be sure A-Four, but I think this may be the default behaviour.🤔

You can also be alerted by email, ( that is the email address you submitted when you joined the forum. )

For that, and enabling the red bell, you need to go into the
user control panel
By tapping the icon that displays your username at the top of the page
and select

User control panel
Then select

Board preferences
Then select

Edit notification options

There are a series of check boxes you can tick.
These are self explanatory.
Once you have done that, scroll to the bottom and hit the

Submit button

Hope that helps. Any problems then PM me.

D
I didn't think of the things you have mentioned above. You are quite right.

When I first read A-Four's post, my mind just flew back to the forum of a few years ago. There were so many posts being made our computers and phones would never have stopped pinging (assuming the alert was audible).
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

For what it's worth A-Four, when I returned to the forums just now, I did receive visual notification that you had liked two of my posts.
However, that is not the same as receiving an 'alert' to a member's post as I understand your opening post.
-Aldous Huxley
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

John Landon wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:28 pm
Any problems then PM me.

D
I don't think you are aware John, I don't have a PM system available to me, as I pointed out in this section of this forum on June 11th 2016, though as I made clear then it does not bother me, but thanks anyway for your offer of help. :wi .

As Hepzibah points out, it would be a bit silly if an alert went off every time a post is made on the forum, true. However my curiosity was driven simply by the fact that one member of the forum seems to be aware of each post, and most certainly replies within an hour, or even less, no matter who makes a post. As can be seen even in this subject.

I simply thought that this was another facility that was not available to me.

Thank to all for your interest. :wi .
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Dear A-Four, whilst I have no doubt you are well versed in all the workings of a Smith Corina typewriter and have had your keen eye kept firmly in the past goings on in this strange world we inhabit, I am quite happy to help you along in the modern age of digital technology.

There should be no reason why you cannot see your PM's unless you have chosen not to see them.

Now I am just as guilty as the next person to have been behind the keyboard whilst under the influence of one or 2 glasses of Egypt's finest Obelisk 2020 vintage red, and my curiosity may have gotten the best of me as I randomly click on things.

So let's do some investigating Watson.

Have you checked

Use control panel

Board preference

Edit settings

There is an option you can check to

Allow users to send private messages

Then scroll to the bottom and SUBMIT that change.

You can then get an email alert to say you have a new private message in the edit notification settings as in my previous post. .

Onto our eagle eyed from member,

This particular user probably has notifications set up for when ever there is a new message posted in a particular topic they may be watching, so yes it's hardly surprising they can respond very quickly, or as their location suggests, there won't be very much out there to tempt them to put down their device and head out exploring the wonders of ancient Egypt.

But each to their own, live and let live. 😎

Hope this helps.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

@John Landon
This particular user probably has notifications set up for when ever there is a new message posted in a particular topic they may be watching
You must be joking! :)))

I simply click on L4U from time to time and, if there’s any new posts*, comment on them if appropriate. It’s not rocket science...nor does it absorb more than a few minutes, given the paucity of posts nowadays.

* conveniently highlighted by going to “Board Index”
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Using the word appropriate is subjective. 😎
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

John Landon wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:41 pm Using the word appropriate is subjective. 😎
I consider most posts “appropriate” for comment although not many of yours...as they’re usually too technical for me. Or they wander off into your predilection for pseudoscience.

I’ve learned there’s little to be gained in debating that subject...although I might permit myself a few jibes.

Who 2s posts range from the interesting to the unintelligible. I sometimes wonder if it depends on what he’s been smoking at the time.

A-Four’s pearls of wisdom are an easy target for anyone who can smell a pseud a mile away......although, mea culpa, it is akin to pulling wings off flies.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Quote: I sometimes wonder if it depends on what he’s been smoking at the time.?

I blame the Vietnamese, now your Dutch they know a thing or two.
It's all down to economics supply and demand, qualities and choice started going downhill in the late 80's.

But hey medical use could, just could be on the horizon. What with MP's relations growing the stuff openly.
Quality rather than quantity..my motto.. 8)
Ps: I never inhale..'our nana called it "a five bob laff " an she was over 70...
Elucidate: A five bob laff = 2.1/2 j's of afghani black for 25p.
Sophocles.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

The only notifications are when you login to Luxor4u, however you can get emails sent to you by changing the options in your user control panel / board preferences/ edit notifications options:
  • Someone replies to a topic you have bookmarked
  • Someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed
  • Someone quotes you in a post
  • Someone replies to a topic in a forum to which you are subscribed
  • Someone sends you a private message
  • Someone thanks you for a post
  • Someone removed thanks for your post
  • Someone mentioned me