Egypt’s ambitious rail projects

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Egypt’s ambitious rail projects

Post by newcastle »

No one could accuse the current regime of lacking ambition! And all within 2 years. Pardon me if I express some scepticism. :lol:

CAIRO - 17 January 2021: Transport Minister Kamel el Wazir said Sunday that a high-speed electric train Egypt intends to construct should connect all governorates together and should also link the country with neighboring Libya and Sudan.

Worth LE 360 billion, the electric rail line should extend over 1,750 kilometers, Wazir said in a telephone conversation with MBC Misr Channel.

It is a multiple-line network, Wazir explained, noting that the speed of the electric train would be 250 kilometers per hour.

All Egyptian ports, industrial zones and the new capital should be connected through this high-speed train network, the minister said.

The first rail line would run from Ain Sokhna on the Red Sea to New Alamein on the Mediterranean coast, passing through the new capital in the east of Cairo, he added.

The second phase of the project is meant to link the Red Sea cities of Hurghada and Safaga with Qena and Luxor in Upper Egypt, Wazir told the channel.

Journey time between Hurghada and Luxor would be about two hours, the minister said, adding that trade lines should also ferry goods between the two cities.

Another express rail link should also be established between the 6th of October City in Giza and the Upper Egyptian cities of Luxor and Aswan, Wazir further said.

Work on each of the four lines of the project is expected to be completed within two years, the minister said, adding that its cost should be paid after six years of operation. The total cost of the project will be paid over 20 years, he noted.

Egypt has signed a deal with German giant Siemens to build the high-speed rail line which links the Red Sea and Mediterranean coasts.

https://www.egypttoday.com/Article/3/96 ... GAxaZILTi0

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Egypt’s ambitious rail projects

Post by Who2 »

Well it's already been given 5 ***** stars on trip advisor. (never trust social media if it's chinese)
Probably being paid for by the Chinese,
and just waiting for their other investment to fill up in Ethiopia before spending to much cash..
25 years ago one saw many little bespectacled Chinese geologists, mineralogists, oil & gas explorators wandering around.
They have done their homework on Africa, and will start to reap their rewards....
'but what do I know ?
Ps: I do know a 'pandemic means all over the World.
Pss: I blame the travel industry.

P*ss: The ANTONINE PLAGUE (165 AD)
Death Toll: 5 million
Cause: Unknown
Antonine Plague was an ancient pandemic that affected Asia Minor, Egypt, Greece, and Italy and is thought to have been either Smallpox or Measles, though the true cause is still unknown. This unknown disease was brought back to Rome by soldiers returning from Mesopotamia around 165AD; unknowingly, they had spread a disease which would end up killing over 5 million people and decimating the Roman army.

"Bet you didn't know that.
'Bloody Romans, and they were walking !
'So we are only 2 million and counting! be lucky... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Indeed, the Chinese are heavily involved in various parts of the rail project.

Xi Jinping feels comfortable dealing with a fellow dictator. Egypt’s brief flirtation with democracy wasn’t to their liking at all. :lol:

P*ss: The ANTONINE PLAGUE (165 AD)
Death Toll: 5 million
Cause: Unknown
Antonine Plague was an ancient pandemic that affected Asia Minor, Egypt, Greece, and Italy and is thought to have been either Smallpox or Measles, though the true cause is still unknown. This unknown disease was brought back to Rome by soldiers returning from Mesopotamia around 165AD; unknowingly, they had spread a disease which would end up killing over 5 million people and decimating the Roman army.
Thought to have originated in China.

Will we never learn...... :urm:
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

At least they won't have to worry about compulsory purchase orders unlike HS2.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Quote: "The network will be a fantastic development. Now read on....... 8)
https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/covi ... -not-happy
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:47 pm Quote: "The network will be a fantastic development. Now read on....... 8)
https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/covi ... -not-happy
So the plebs think the money would be better spent on hospitals etc.?

:a84: :a84: :a84: :a84: :a84:

Who cares what they think. :urm:
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

At this present period President Sisi is issuing more 'memorandums of understanding' than ever did Mubarak in his final years as president, today we see these new ideas for Egypt's rail infrastructure future, which in truth for obvious reasons can be seen as simply 'pie in the sky'.

Having said that, there is one major piece of new rail infrastructure that has, without little fan fare been approved in the past couple of days, with work starting almost immediately. It is being backed by U.K. export finance (UKEF) of £2.3 BILLION (sterling) with a total project value of over $5 BILLION, and financially administered by J.P.Morgan,....to build and supply by Bombardia (UK) Ltd,.......

.....the INNOVIA monorail 300 / CITYFLO 650.

To build and operate a monorail system in two section.
1) The first line will be built from East Cairo to the New Administrative Capital, a distance of 54 kilometres.
2) The second line will be 42 kilometres long to connect the 6th October City to Giza.

When fully operational, it is expected the two line will transport 45,000 passengers per hour. It' is anticipated the first project will take 30 months to complete. This week the Egyptian government announced that the start of Egypt's vast army of civil servants will begin to move to the new admin city in June this year.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Actually it’s being built by a consortium involving the U.K. subsidiary of the Canadian multinational, Bombardier, with the trains being built at their Derby plant.

The project was approved 18 months ago.....to quite considerable fanfare as I recall.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

newcastle wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:46 pm Actually it’s being built by a consortium involving the U.K. subsidiary of the Canadian multinational, Bombardier, with the trains being built at their Derby plant.

The project was approved 18 months ago.....to quite considerable fanfare as I recall.
Remember, you should know by now that you must carefully check all the KEY WORDS before making a statement before you 'recall'.

UKEF approved the £2.3 BILLION only this week, until then it was like the rest of the usual ''memorandums of understanding' projects that gets stuck in President Sisi dream world.

P.S.- I am lucky if I can get on this site once a week these days, whether you're in Egypt or England you seem to live on this forum, and feel you should share your 'great knowledge' on every subject, you really must get out more often,......even if it's only down to Chrisp Street Market. :wi .
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

@A-Four

You need to be a little more precise in your use of the English language . A firmer attention to spelling wouldn’t go amiss either.

The recent steps in regard to the financing of the Cairo monorail project hardly equate to its “approval”.

The concept was agreed and the main partners of the consortium lined up in 2019 and various contracts between the Egyptian government an elements of the consortium were signed last year .

P.S.- I am lucky if I can get on this site once a week these days, whether you're in Egypt or England you seem to live on this forum, and feel you should share your 'great knowledge' on every subject
I know you’re not entirely comfortable with newfangled gadgets such as the Internet but surely you don’t think my frequent posting restricts your ability to contribute. :))) :)))