OMG Not model making!

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Grandad

OMG Not model making!

Post by Grandad »

:lol: :lol: Not wishing to labour the point but I DO have mobility problems (2 mobility scooters to help with that) and impaired vision (only one eye and the other one not too good) so, keeping occupied through the coming winter months set me thinking. What the hell can I do?
My wife also has impaired vision and we have bought a large jigsaw puzzle and puzzle mat to do together......but not yet started.) I was a model maker in my early years and searching Amazon I found 'Ugears' wooden model kits. These need no glue and all the pieces are lazer cut in plywood boards. I decided to try one of the more basic kits, a 189 pieces motor bike. I have just finished this. It took some time working under a desk magnifier but I am pleased with the result. Here it is
20201014 First U Gears model.jpg
Pleased to the extent that I have today received a more demanding kit of a roadster car with 437 pieces. That should keep me occupied until Christmas I reckon.
81ZzueAsj4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
What do other folks do to fill their time in the dark winter days?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grandad :gg:
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: OMG Not model making!

Post by carrie »

Well as you know Grandad we don't really get the dark winter days here in Luxor although it can get quite chilly at night.
I paint, with mainly acrylic and welcome the cooler weather because my paints dont dry so quickly. I am determined also to master water colour this winter.
Not been able to go to Turkey this year but before I went last year spent ages knitting hats for the Syrian refugees in Turkey.
Yildez very kindly ships them off for me and she sends all kinds of goodies. Pencils pens and paper for the kids plus more hats and socks.
Keeps me busy and does a little good.
What else, usually do a bit of decorating but I must admit I am finding it harder to climb ladders.
That's about it. I do like your models. My brother always bought the airfix sets which he never finished I used to help but they never turned out like it looked on the box.
Good luck with the car you must have the patience of Job.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

@carrie I did think about painting a few years ago and, with good intent, bought some water colours, brushes and a book of art paper, plus a book on water colours for beginners from Amazon but I wasted my money really.... the eyes are too far gone. (I have to be really careful on the scooters but can still ride them safely. Social distancing helps :lol: )
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

Not sure if you remember but I also am a model maker. I designed and built flying models while in Luxor and even did some aerial photography for the missions for a few years. I worked in EPP foam sheeting because it bounced better on the rocky WB terrain!
Now here in France I build more delicate aircraft in wood and fabric. As my eyesight is deteriorating with age I now build larger models in excess of 2 metres wingspan so I can see them better. We all have to adapt with time.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Almost every morning 365 days a year, yes xmas included, but obviously not when I'm on hols, I work on one of my properties, I must do this to keep my mind and hands active. Come 12, I shower, make my meal then sit back and relax in front of the TV, programs usually via YT. I also use this time to comunicate with my friends via messenger in various countries. This creates the perfect day for me, and thankfully my eyesight is nearly the same as it was when I was a teenager when i donned my first pair of specks, the difference is I now have to take off my reading glasses to read or use the computer. Those models grandad look the dogs whatsits.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Grandad wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:11 pm @carrie I did think about painting a few years ago and, with good intent, bought some water colours, brushes and a book of art paper, plus a book on water colours for beginners from Amazon but I wasted my money really.... the eyes are too far gone. (I have to be really careful on the scooters but can still ride them safely. Social distancing helps :lol: )
Water colour painting...that rings a bell :lol:

When I moved to Egypt 15 or so years ago it was my intention to take up painting to ease the boredom of lying in the sun ...when it was too hot to explore. A friend kindly gave me a quite expensive present of paper, brushes , paints etc all lovingly gift wrapped.

It’s still residing in a wardrobe unwrapped! :oops:

Maybe I should unwrap it now I have more time and dark London nights to combat.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Photography and photo editing has in the past been a lifelong hobby of mine but, I sold my cameras several years ago and now just use my phone and a small Canon pocket camera. Screens are a problem but I think we all experience that.
I am not that much into social media stuff. I have most platforms on my phone but only really use text. Very rarely facetime or skype.
@BBLUX Barry, 2 metre wingspan? That is huge. From your comment I assume you have used a drone, something I would like to try....
@Dusak Didn't know you were a property mogul ;) DIY has always been one of my skills but now I have to 'feel' screwdrivers into screwheads. As BBLux said, we all have to adapt with time :( :lol:
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
France

Post by BBLUX »

Grandad, I did most of the aerial photography from a fixed wing aircraft and then in 2013 I built a drone for some more specific locations where I had nowhere to land or take off. Unfortunately that was the year that the MB came to prominence and I was warned by my SCA friends that we could get into serious trouble if we continued even with their permissions.

I still have that drone in working condition but now because our local model flying site is too close to a big military training ground we are not allowed to fly it there. I have another site further South which is ok but more than 1 hour each way.

Actually the smaller hobby drones are not expensive and have cameras and full flight autopilots so it makes them quiet easy to operate. You might have some fun if you try one sometime.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

@BBLUX

I thought there was an absolute ban on drone use in Egypt ?

Knowing their mentality, I can’t imagine they distinguish model aircraft either.

And if they spotted a balloon which wasn’t obviously a tourist trip, there’s a fair chance they’d shoot it down. :lol:
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
France

Post by BBLUX »

newcastle wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:45 pm @BBLUX

I thought there was an absolute ban on drone use in Egypt ?

Knowing their mentality, I can’t imagine they distinguish model aircraft either.

And if they spotted a balloon which wasn’t obviously a tourist trip, there’s a fair chance they’d shoot it down. :lol:
There is now but before the 2011 revolution I operated with official permisson from the security service (Am Dowla) and the SCA obtained via the individual missions. This continued until 2012 when the MB started using shop bought drones. That totally changed the situation and then I stopped.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Them sneaky Israelis got round that problem..... 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

@carrie
You obviously have a talent Carrie having seen the mosaic that Who2 posted on another thread. Beautiful :up
Well, I have just started the roadster model that I mentioned earlier.
81ZzueAsj4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
The instructions suggest that all you need is a Stanley knife to cut cocktail sticks used for dowels. I chose to use a small pair of side cutters, much safer. The kit includes glasspaper and candle wax but I soon found I needed much more. SO, this is what my desktop looks like this afternoon with tools that I found necessary.
IMG_20201026_151012.jpg
I do have a small workshop but it is more comfortable to work on small things on my desk. I have probably used about 30 pieces so far, there are over 430 in total so this will keep me occupied until Christmas. :a85:
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
France

Post by BBLUX »

You seem to be well organised Grandad. Just take it steady. Do you have a "daylight" lamp to aid vision? I use them when model building and Fran does the same when doing her cross stitch. Basically a lamp with a colour temperature of at least 5000K. I use LED bulbs with 6000K colour temperature for a really good very white light. They also can help reduce SAD symptoms during the grey days.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I'm not the Carrie who made the mosaic Grandad. Don't want to steal someone else's thunder.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

carrie wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:16 pm I'm not the Carrie who made the mosaic Grandad. Don't want to steal someone else's thunder.
That solves that quandary then, I never saw you as artistic 😜
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.