Irony is alive and well in Egypt

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Irony is alive and well in Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Eager to support tourism in Egypt and the people working in this field the government has decided to implement a fee of 20 USD for every person booking a desert safari. I have read that the guides will stop offering the trips starting tomorrow to strike against the new rules.

No doubt plans are being laid to charge boat trips etc.

Coupled with the imposition of PCR tests for all incoming tourists, you have to wonder how serious the government is about supporting and reviving tourism. :lol:

https://www.elnabaa.net/846965

crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Re: Irony is alive and well in Egypt

Post by crewmeal »

I feel that these govenmental characters who live in their smart cocoons in Cairo (and shortly that new city whose name I can't remember) have no idea of the ramifications of their stupid ideas. To constantly 'tax' everything in site will surely have an adverse affect on the long term of the economy.

Egypt needs a Rishi Sunak to help the people and economy.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

crewmeal wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:17 am I feel that these govenmental characters who live in their smart cocoons in Cairo (and shortly that new city whose name I can't remember) have no idea of the ramifications of their stupid ideas. To constantly 'tax' everything in site will surely have an adverse affect on the long term of the economy.

Egypt needs a Rishi Sunak to help the people and economy.
I think they’ve abandoned this particularly loopy idea.

Of course Rishi Sunak was able to dish out billions in schemes the help the disadvantaged....particularly through the Coronavirus crisis.....because of the strength of the UK economy and the UK’s ability to borrow cheaply. Alas, Egypt doesn’t have the same latitude having spent and borrowed like there’s no tomorrow on grandiose schemes which primarily benefit the better off leaving 30% plus of the population in poverty.

The new high speed train line between Ain Sokhna and Al Alamein is but the latest of these schemes....great for the wealthier Cairenes to reach their vacation hotspots. 8)
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I think not so many will be pleased with Rishi Sunak's generosity once we have to repay it.
As far as I can see, there is a large percent of the population who have nit benefitted from any of the schemes. People within employment, who don't earn a huge amount but manage to squirrel away some savings towards occasional luxuries such as a holiday, or keeping a car on the road, or trying to help towards retirement (if they manage to live that long). With there being next to nothing, quite literally, in intersts rates,
the cost of living going up, their plans for a little indepandance are becoming more futile. Soon they will be needing to call on the government for help but the pot will be empty (as will the pension pot be for many).

I'm no mathematician or statastition, and certainly not a financial guru either, but I think the future for many looks bleak for a long time to come. Let's hope I'm wrong.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley