One man living in Luxor, his views of Covid 19

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: One man living in Luxor, his views of Covid 19

Post by HEPZIBAH »

carrie wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:17 pm
There has been no lockdown, no social distancing, no mass wearing of masks, school exams for high school leavers have taken place. Despite all this Luxor does seem to have "got away" with it fairly lightly.
Will we ever know the truth?
I've not been following the news as avidly as I did in the early days, weeks, months of the pandemic, but from what snippets I have picked up on recently it would seem that some countries did indeed appear to have 'got away with it fairly lightly' but it is not clear what the true lines of comparison were. Also, it would appear that some, if not all, of those that 'got away with it fairly lightly' initially are seeing definite peaks or spikes now.

It is fair to say that an increase in the number of cases recorded would make some sense, given the advances in testing over recent months. However, it does not account for why there seem to be fewer severe cases and a hugely reduced death rate. Perhaps some of the measures put in place - such as social distancing - have had a positive effect, or perhaps it does have something to do with the climate. There are still so many questions to do with this Covid-19 pandemic, and for each answer that seems to be reached another question is raised.

I am still of the opinion that it will only be historical scientific and medical journals that will be able to give a reasonably accurate picture when this time is looked back on in years to come.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I suspect the relatively low mortality rate (assuming the published figures bear some relationship to the truth) is connected to the age distribution in Egypt and the fact that COVID-19 seems to affect, predominantly, those over 65.

An estimated 51.2% of Egyptians are under the age of 25, with just 4.3% over the age of 65, making it one of the most youthful populations in the world.

In contrast, in U.K. people aged 65 and over are a large and rapidly growing group – there are currently more than 11.9 million people (18% of population) aged 65 and over in the UK, with 3.2 million aged 80 and over and 1.6 million aged 85 and over.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

As of today, 29/8 my friend told me there has been a resurgence of cases in Luxor and Karnak. Looking at the figures on the Covid live feed as I do most days, lets just say that considering the population and the social habits of the population, these figures just do not seem to ''add up.''
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Dusak wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:13 pm As of today, 29/8 my friend told me there has been a resurgence of cases in Luxor and Karnak. Looking at the figures on the Covid live feed as I do most days, lets just say that considering the population and the social habits of the population, these figures just do not seem to ''add up.''
When you travel from Essna to Luxor on the train, as you look carefully up in the hills on the right hand side as the train travels north, you see in the far distance a large elongated building, this is the old Luxor International Youth Hostel near Todd, that was never really used, and infact dates back to the mid 1990's. I am told that this is the area hospital we in the U.K. would know as the emergency Nightingale Hospital, but as my friends in Essna inform me it is the hospital of no return, and further more having spoken with them these past few days, that activity there is now just as strong as it was before, I don't wish to add further except to say, for the life of me can not understand why some people on this forum, are so desperate to get to Luxor for a 'holiday'.

When I write on this site, I never look for the so called 'likes', I have good informants who tell me how it is in Cairo, Luxor, Essna or Asswan, though who would never write on this forum. I live in England, so try to be as honest as I can, whether it be good or bad, though if I was still living in Egypt, I would be very careful what I wrote. Always remember Egypt is and will remain under Marshall Law, and ALL that entails. I assure you all, it is worse now than the old FINAL days of Mubarak.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Anything to do with Egypt, doesn't quite add up, never has. That's it's attraction... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Who2 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:13 pm Anything to do with Egypt, doesn't quite add up, never has. That's it's attraction... 8)
Well it was in the old days my dear Dr, when while I was still living there under the final days of Mubarak, but now ? Well I would be very careful, especially if I was an Awaja living there under a tourist visa now.

Restrictions under today's Marshall Laws are much wider than they ever were under the 'old Egyptian Pretender', God bless him.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Marshall Laws??

Who shot the Sheriff.....or should that be ‘sherif’? :)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Travelers entering Egypt at any of four airports in the Red Sea governorate and South Sinai can take a coronavirus test upon arrival, which would exempt them from submitting negative PCR test results taken before they boarded their flights.

The four airports are the Sharm El-Sheikh and Taba airports in South Sinai, and the Hurghada and Marsa Alam airports in the Red Sea governorate, according to a statement by the Egyptian civil aviation ministry.

Passengers arriving at these airports can take the coronavirus test for $30 if they do not already have their own PCR test result, the statement said, adding that the decision goes into effect on 1 September.

Earlier this month, the Egyptian authorities decided that incoming travelers must submit negative PCR test results at their port of entry, due to increasing coronavirus infections in some countries. The tests must have been taken no more than 72 hours before the arrival date.

Children under six are exempted from the decision, the ministry said in an earlier statement.

The country's key tourism sector has been hit hard by the COVID-19 pandemic.

However, Egypt began a gradual resumption of regular international flights last month, after having shut its airspace in March due to the pandemic.

Foreign tourists in tour groups are allowed entry into the three coastal Egyptian governorates with the lowest coronavirus infection rates in the country – South Sinai, the Red Sea, and Matrouh.

Last week, Egypt said it received 126,000 tourists since resuming international flights.

The government has so far allowed around 600 hotels that have met safety protocols to reopen at a reduced occupancy rate of 50 percent.

On Sunday, Egypt detected 230 new coronavirus cases, bringing the total infection tally to 98,727 since the outbreak mid-February, the health ministry announced. The ministry also reported 23 new deaths, bringing the total deaths from the virus to 5,399.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/378980.aspx

Apparently, 80% of September bookings were cancelled following the decision to require negative PCR tests from all arrivals after 1st Sept.....and this may be the knee- jerk response. Reports are that the test will cost $30...a bargain!

It leaves a host of questions unanswered.....and I wouldn’t rely on Al Ahram to get the day of the week right.....but, if true, it’s an interesting development. Coming into effect tomorrow?? Pull the other one! :lol:

Watch this space! :lol: