One man living in Luxor, his views of Covid 19

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Re: One man living in Luxor, his views of Covid 19

Post by Major Thom »

Looks like the 250 Ventilators Egypt has just purchased fro the US will come in handy afterall....

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Major Thom wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:49 am Looks like the 250 Ventilators Egypt has just purchased fro the US will come in handy afterall....
Hysterical, thanks MajorThom.

Its very rare these days that we ever get a laugh on this forum, unlike years ago when it was not dominated by the ever present sentinel and the equally constant lap dog, known as Lymphedema
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:42 pm
Major Thom wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:49 am Looks like the 250 Ventilators Egypt has just purchased fro the US will come in handy afterall....

Its very rare these days that we ever get a laugh on this forum
Yes....I imagine it’s quite amusing to envisage someone gasping for breath as they desperately cling to life.

If you’re a total ars*hole.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Its very rare these days that we ever get a laugh on this forum, unlike years ago when it was not dominated by the ever present sentinel and the equally constant lap dog, known as Lymphedema
These two posts say so much more about the authors than any other member could have said about them.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Considering the virus numbers coming out of Egypt are these really required, or are the numbers false, which one is it? I don't think the rest of the World will ever know! Of course if someone is on a ventilator its not a nice thing, but all we know in others Countries is the infection rates in Egypt are down, deaths are down, etc etc, so all in all why do they want so many ventilators, nothing makes sense. Mabe these being bought from the US are the ones the US rejected anyway...
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:37 pm

These two posts say so much more about the authors than any other member could have said about them.
I'm a generous woman so I'll give Major Thom the benefit of the doubt (but it is a big doubt) and put his comment down to not reading how it was intended.
The attempt at humour by A-Four was, hmmm ... well I'll still be generous and say... failed.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Major Thom wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:44 pm Considering the virus numbers coming out of Egypt are these really required, or are the numbers false, which one is it? I don't think the rest of the World will ever know! Of course if someone is on a ventilator its not a nice thing, but all we know in others Countries is the infection rates in Egypt are down, deaths are down, etc etc, so all in all why do they want so many ventilators, nothing makes sense. Mabe these being bought from the US are the ones the US rejected anyway...
Try and get your facts right before expressing an opinion.

The US ventilators were a DONATION.

As to the suggestion that they might be rejects.....words fail me. :urm:

I suspect you don’t read the Bible.....but you might care to look up Proverbs 17:28
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Major Thom wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:44 pm Considering the virus numbers coming out of Egypt are these really required, or are the numbers false, which one is it? I don't think the rest of the World will ever know! Of course if someone is on a ventilator its not a nice thing, but all we know in others Countries is the infection rates in Egypt are down, deaths are down, etc etc, so all in all why do they want so many ventilators, nothing makes sense. Mabe these being bought from the US are the ones the US rejected anyway...
Yes, it would appear that the numbers given for Egypt are suspiciously low, I think very few people would disagree with that. However, do we really know how they are being calculated? In a country where people are naturally superstitious, and health care is lacking in many areas; where 'the will of God' is greater than the knowledge of man, should we really be surprised if the figures don't add up to our own limited understanding?

The numbers coming out of most countries are spurious to say the least. So many statistics measured in so many ways, and then adjusted, re-calculated, and then adjusted again. Who knows what the true figures in any given country are.

As for the ventilators, 250 extra ventilators in a country the size of Egypt is nothing given the size of the population and the huge distances between suitable medical centres that could make the best use of them. They are an essential piece of life promoting equipment that we should all hope is never needed to be used.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

As Hepzibah says....the published statistics on COVID-19 in any country need to be viewed with considerable circumspection. Apart from the differing ways of calculating them, their reliability is questionable in some countries where there is a political dimension to be considered.

We have seen a rise in infections in the UK in recent weeks.....but perhaps this is more to do with increased testing. I’ve noted before that Egypt’s apparently low level of infection might be due to the fact that they don’t test that many!

It’s already apparent that the infection may result in long term health issues and the economic pain will be felt for years.

The good news is that deaths seem to be diminishing in most places and the search for a vaccine is proceeding rapidly and with considerable input from the developed world. Cynically, I suspect this is because the effect of the virus has impacted most heavily on the better off nations. I don’t remember SARS, MERS or Ebola attracting such concentrated attention from the West.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

As a rule these days I do not look in on this forum practically every hour, or even daily, so l am sure you will forgive me for asking now, but what on earth are you so concurned about with regards a simple tongue-in-cheek statement from Major Thom, or for that matter, my amusement in it.

The way Major Thom expressed his statement sounded rather ironic, and that is why I found it funny. Further more, I point out again, there is so very little humour these days on this forum,.....I have often wondered why.

I remain yours faithfully, and await with bated anticipation for your reply.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Someone doesn’t know much about the Laws of Holes. :lol:
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

A-Four wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:01 pm

As a rule these days I do not look in on this forum practically every hour, or even daily, so l am sure you will forgive me for asking now, but what on earth are you so concurned about with regards a simple tongue-in-cheek statement from Major Thom, or for that matter, my amusement in it.

The way Major Thom expressed his statement sounded rather ironic, and that is why I found it funny. Further more, I point out again, there is so very little humour these days on this forum,.....I have often wondered why.

I remain yours faithfully, and await with bated anticipation for your reply.
I am very seriously trying to understand the reasoning of your statement, that is all. I have been honest with you and trust you can be the same, l am not asking for an essay, just requesting the simple reasoning behind your stark comment.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:12 pm I am very seriously trying to understand the reasoning of your statement, that is all. I have been honest with you and trust you can be the same, l am not asking for an essay, just requesting the simple reasoning behind your stark comment.
Then you must be thicker than I thought. Let me remind you.....

Major Thom wrote: ↑Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:49 am

“Looks like the 250 Ventilators Egypt has just purchased fro the US will come in handy afterall....”

A-Four wrote: ↑Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:42 pm

“Hysterical, thanks MajorThom.

Its very rare these days that we ever get a laugh on this forum, unlike years ago when it was not dominated by the ever present sentinel and the equally constant lap dog, known as Lymphedema”

HEPZIBAH wrote: ↑Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:37 pm

“These two posts say so much more about the authors than any other member could have said about them.”

MT was not being “ironical” with his remark. I doubt he could even spell the word . It was merely another of his bad taste comments aimed at a country which he continues to blame for spoiling several years of his life and taking several thousand pounds of his money...unable as he is to accept that his own stupidity was the problem.

But we’re used to that.

For some strange reason you find his remark “hysterical”? You must be easily amused. I’d put MT’s remark at about -5 on a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of funniness. Hey ho.

But it’s your concluding remarks that display why you, despite being ( as you constantly remind us) so terribly busy, took the time to comment at all! Another chance to have a dig at members whose very existence seems to be a thorn in your side. How pathetic.

Here’s a Corona joke....ironic and not in bad taste
ADA0A684-53D8-42C9-AA7F-BCD0F9E7F1C0.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Last week two English ladies died here in Luxor. One from severe breathing difficulties, although neither had been diagnosed with Corona, no doubt a respirator would have helped.
Now isn't that just too hysterically funny.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

The two ladies (I do not know who they are or were) made their choice to stay in Luxor during the pandemic. It could well be that the normal summer heat was as much a cause for their demise as Covid-19.

And were they "staying safe", socially distancing, masked, regularly sanitising?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Brian Yare wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:52 pm The two ladies (I do not know who they are or were) made their choice to stay in Luxor during the pandemic. It could well be that the normal summer heat was as much a cause for their demise as Covid-19.

And were they "staying safe", socially distancing, masked, regularly sanitising?
Many expats have nowhere to go, and thus no choice, as to whether they should stay in Luxor.

Many will have found it extremely difficult to find flights out, even if they had somewhere to go.

I can’t imagine a worse way of dying than suffocation.....whatever the cause.

I was reminded today of another lady who died in May...definitely of COVID-19.

Debbie Larner of The Lantern. R.I.P.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I notice that you have been back on this forum today, and I accept that you have probably missed the request I asked of regarding your above statement. Therefore again, I simply ask that perhaps even a one line note, as to what disturbed you so much, so that I can ensure this will not happen again.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

:a17:

:a84:

:58:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

We can now all breath a sigh of relief as according to my friend, the locals now are very happy that the virus has vacated Egypt. As for the RIP up of the square, when completed, no one will be allowed to use the newly constructed area due, apparently, to the locals total disrespect for the area, re, litter.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Dusak you don't get out enough, the virus has been gone for weeks. As soon as the restrictions were lifted the locals assured me that the reason was that the virus had gone.
I don't know the true figures for infections and deaths in Luxor all I can speak from is personal experience.
There has been no lockdown, no social distancing, no mass wearing of masks, school exams for high school leavers have taken place. Despite all this Luxor does seem to have "got away" with it fairly lightly.
Will we ever know the truth?