One man living in Luxor, his views of Covid 19

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

One man living in Luxor, his views of Covid 19

Post by crewmeal »

One of my friends who used to work on one of the Nile cruise boats was asking when I would return and was concerned that I'd cancelled my trip this year because of the virus.

Here is what the average Egyptian's views of it are based on a whats app chat earlier on.
No, it is less here. We were 1500 every month ago, now the number has become 100, and now anyone with Corona takes a two-day treatment and is done for him with a negative smear
During this period, a smear is made if it was positive, a treatment program is made for him, and after four days a second smear is made for it that is negative
Without asking where he got the figures from (probably a govt source) I didn't want to break into a disagreement but if this is the view it's very worrying.

Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Re: One man living in Luxor, his views of Covid 19

Post by Teddyboy »

I'm sure that I read somewhere that this particular little beastie cannot survive on hot surfaces or in hot places? The only places which are cool in Luxor, at this time of year, are in air-conditioned homes or hotels; in my experience. So I would be willing to be persuaded that it's not hitting Egypt anywhere near as badly as it is here in our comparatively cool (and doom-laden) place of enforced exile, which is England.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Teddyboy wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:48 pm I'm sure that I read somewhere that this particular little beastie cannot survive on hot surfaces or in hot places?
That was one of the [many] theories that was being spread around during the early days of the pandemic. I think it has since been debunked.
Perhaps it depends on how hot is hot! We've had some pretty hot weather in the UK (for the UK) and we've also seen more spikes in the spread of the virus. Obviously that has a lot to do with the covidiots, (who have a lot in common with lemmings), that find it impossible to stay a metre or more away from each other, and tend to like to gather in large numbers and small space. The temperatures of the two countries may be very different, but the herd mentality isn't.

The Covid-19 virus seems to be reacting in ways that cannot really be predicted, even using the evidence of the way other corona viruses behave.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I agree with Hepzibah. There is no conclusive evidence that Egypt’s high temperatures inhibit COVID-19.

Countries like Brazil and Iran are also hot....and haven’t been doing too well.

I’m sure the virus would not survive long on a hot plate....and nor would you! :lol:

The same goes for UV light. The dosage required to kill a virus would also be fatal for any patient. It has some relevance in the disinfection of instruments and other equipment.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Well speaking as one who has lived through it here I can only say what I have seen and heard.
Social distancing - non existent.
wearing of masks - every one wears one when passing through a police check point, as soon as they are through the mask comes off.
No one wants to admit to knowing any one who has become sick. People who have been ill the reason is always due to something other than corona.
One person only do I know who has admitted to me that he had the virus and that is my doctor. He's fortunately fully recovered and tells me that there are very very few cases in the hospitals in Luxor.
Coffee shops, restaurants, hotels and bars have all been closed but are now reopening. Here on the west bank the ex pats found themselves a place that did stay open, illegally, and congregated there.
The river is empty of traffic, it looks beautiful all the boats tied up and not a motor boat or fellucca sailing. The ferry has been reduced from three boats to one. Not so many people on there though.
It has been extremely hot over 43 degrees most days and that has tended to keep people at home, however the temperature is due to drop because of oncoming autumn and spring, my doctor did say that he feared the onset of the cooler weather.
We can only wait and see.
After the Mubarak revolution there was a spate of motor cyclists snatching bags, reports that this is once again taking place have reached me. Not surprising really since there is very little work and no prospect of a return of tourists in the short term. This next "high" season will be very low I'm afraid.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Being honest, I do think that, just as there are people who are categorised as being more prone to catching/suffering from Covid-19, there may well be a stronger resistance to the virus among various other populations or sections of a population.

The western world has become so sanitised in many ways, relying on strong chemicals for household cleaning, high levels of personal hygiene, etc. to the point of obsessive. Of course, good hygiene is very important, but some of it could be at the cost of weakening our own immune systems.
I am not suggesting that Egyptians do not consider hygiene important, but it tends not to be a matter of obsession or dealt with in the same way as e.g in the UK. Let's face it, many just do not have the facilities, and certainly do not have the money to be spending on high cost cleaning products. Many struggle to buy basic soap. (I'm not ignoring the fact that there are many in the UK in this position too.) It leads me to conclude that perhaps their immune system might well be stronger.

All that being said, I reiterate what I said earlier: The Covid-19 virus seems to be reacting in ways that cannot really be predicted, even using the evidence of the way other corona viruses behave.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I would question whether Egypt is, in fact, enjoying lower rates of COVID-19 infection.

The government does not publish the number of PCR tests carried out and consequently any data on infections, deaths etc must be treated with suspicion.

Compared to Europe and US, Egypt’s population is relatively young which may result in lower death levels (per capita) but, apart from that, I see no feature of Egyptian society which is likely to render them less susceptible.

In fact....quite the contrary :(
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Hope you don't mind, but I nicked this off FB it's interesting although I don't know the author... 8)
As in The Merchant of Venice. "Truth will Out"

To all Europeans, I would like to tell you all about Corona episodes in Luxor. I don't intend to trigger discussions. The following is to be said about the current Corona situation in Luxor. In Qurna, the Last Corona Clinic was closed 1 week ago because there are no new infections and those affected have healed so far. All numbers are dropping in Luxor. Of course Corona didn't just disappear and will continue to accompany us. But Corona is not the real problem, it's the consequences for people. Coffee shops are so weakly visited that the daily costs are higher than sales, restaurants are closed. All shops alabaster, papyrus, carpet and perfume, like souvenir shops are closed, no guests. Tour guide as well as many taxi drivers, coaches stand still. Many hotels closed, that means many employees have no work. Nile ships approx. 300 pieces stand still. Supplier companies etc. are also closed or working in a very reduced company. For another 4 months a construction stop will apply throughout Egypt, well that's how bricklayers, plaster, iron layers, chauffeurs etc have no work. To compensate for the prices of gas, electricity and water have risen by almost 25 medication and food have become more expensive. It's very similar to that in Europe. Now comes the big difference. The social service in Egypt is very simple, no work no money and end. The biggest danger in Luxor is not Corona, but hunger and lack of money for doctor visits. People are dying of food shortages, lack of medical supplies (lack of money) and the heat that prevails here in summer. The Egyptians are a proud and strong people, everyone tries to master their lives somehow. I've never seen so much solidarity and humanity as with these people who have the least. Before you get upset about any measures or small restrictions, think of the people who hit it harder, try to be grateful that you live in a good welfare state even if it's always not easy. If you still want to help, you can do so in many places. It doesn't matter what skin color one is, in which God he believes from what culture he comes from we are humans. Man is the forefront of evolution, so we act the same way.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I have no idea who the author is, but it is refreshing to read a piece that is well written from the point of view of content. All too often we read the 'another nail in the coffin..' 'they need the tourist money' and other (often badly written) statements set to put the reader on a guilt trip.

Unfortunately, the piece is one that could have been written about so many places in the world. As the author says, ' It's very similar to that in Europe. Now comes the big difference. The social service in Egypt is very simple, no work no money and end. ', and sadly that can also be said for other countries, and more especially those that are dealing with war, and displaced people in refugee camps.

I am not unsympathetic to the people of Luxor. I know too many who I consider my friends. I am however angry at the government of Egypt that continue to allow so many of its people to be in this situation. I can think of a number of occasions in the last 20 or so years when there was talk of bringing new industries to upper Egypt. The school systems have perhaps improved marginally, for some, but what goals have the children got? The girls are still expected to get married and have an instant family once they can leave school no matter their capabilities. Boys are expected to chase non-existent jobs - up and down the country- in a tourism industry that will never return to the heights it once had.
Next spring, no doubt many will be celebrating 10 years since the 'revolution'. But what has that really brought about? Has the corruption ended? Does the government really work for the good of the people?

The whole world has been tossed about because of the Covid-19 pandemic, and the sad fact of life is that the 'survival of the fittest' rule seems to apply in more ways than one. In this case it's not just a matter of health but of economics.
-Aldous Huxley
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

An interesting article which the Dr has posted, though there seems to be a few details that are at odds with the official line.

The writer informs us that Qurna 'clinic' has no new Covid 19 patients. I cannot believe that the modern day general hospital which is quite small, allowed a such 'clinic' on its site. Information released to the Egyptian media less than two weeks ago, was that the Quena-Luxor hospital had closed sighting that there were NO new Covid 19 cases. I suspect that this so called hospital was some sort of special unit similar to the Nightingale Hospital set up in London's Docklands.

With regards to the mentioned 25% rise in the cost for utilities, actually it 30%, and will be phased in over the next three years, the increases became effective on July 1st this year. This new law has replaced a previous massive increase that would have been implemented that seriously focused mainly on the poor and very poor. The new law will certainly effect the middle class of Egyptian society, while the poor who use little power, will in effect see their charges reduced.

For the financial year 2018-19 government revenue from tobacco products was almost EGP 65 BILLION, as a direct result of the huge increase in price that year, the government thought revenue would increase by 10%, infact revenue fell by 10% on the previous years take. In 2020 the government of Egypt has suddenly realised it can no longer hit the poorest with the tax 'stick'.

Ex-pats living in Egypt, and especially in Luxor and the Red Sea coast are going to see huge price increases, not so much for the poor, but as I have said focused more at the middle class. I do not have the time to inform of all the details, but I am sure all would agree the present serious situation in Egypt will one day have to be paid for, at the moment it is borrowing vast amounts. While inflation in the West is very low it can print money with little problem, the third world can not.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Well I think the UK is borrowing a few-bob at present as well... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Cue MT...and the joys of living in Cyprus :urm:
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:50 am Cue MT...and the joys of living in Cyprus :urm:
Methinks not all in Cyprus is rosy at the moment.
Then again, it may depend on what shade of rose your glasses are tinted with.
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Well building projects put on hold?????? Walk round near the Sheraton see all the work going on there,
Hajaj Square all being torn up signs everywhere telling the visitors to Luxor (where are they) how sorry the authorities are for the disruption.
The renovated new corniche is still looking very well cared for. I just hope that when they have finished the square that they provide seats with shade instead of the wide expanse of featureless, hot marble.
I noticed too that the Winter Palace seems to be preparing to re open.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:18 pm Well building projects put on hold?????? Walk round near the Sheraton see all the work going on there,
Hajaj Square all being torn up signs everywhere telling the visitors to Luxor (where are they) how sorry the authorities are for the disruption.
The renovated new corniche is still looking very well cared for. I just hope that when they have finished the square that they provide seats with shade instead of the wide expanse of featureless, hot marble.
I noticed too that the Winter Palace seems to be preparing to re open.
The author of the post mentioned by Who2 is, I suspect, living on another planet. His/her dissertation is directed at Europeans. Perhaps he/she has some financial interest in encouraging them to return? Or maybe he/she is sick of Europeans whinging that their holiday plans have been disrupted..and, quite reasonably, contrasts this the hardships being endured by Luxor locals. Luxor has endured a decade of rising living costs and decreasing tourism income...the virus is but the latest in a long list of problems. And while social and health services are pretty pathetic, in European terms, Egyptians are well used to looking out for one another and the “extended family” remains the bedrock of society.

Apart from the points you mention, Egypt is reopening the COVID isolation hospitals ( including the one in Luxor) in anticipation of a resurgence of infections. The authorities are well aware that the population is not adhering to social distancing to anything Iike the degree required to contain the epidemic Whilst they can publish any fictional statistics they want, they’ll need somewhere to put the bodies!

https://www.egyptindependent.com/egypt- ... hospitals/
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Two weeks since Eid and as expected the covid rate is rising. As Newcastle says the isolation hospital is once again open.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Who2 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:40 am Well I think the UK is borrowing a few-bob at present as well... 8)
An interesting point my dear Dr, but when dealing with a strong currency, such as the £ sterling, at the moment, any international loan paid in U.S. $ can work out very cheap these days with inflation in the U.K. so low and the £ being stronger than the $, the real interest rate would work out as almost nil.

When we look at Egypt, most recent new loan were agreed through Madame Christine Lagarde, who up until recently was head of the International Monetary Fund. The various loans agreed over the past three years have become disasters. The Egyptian finance minister has to show how new revenue raised will be sufficient to pay back said loans with interest. As I have shown in my previous post this has failed.

All international loans are paid out in U.S. $'s and paid back in the same, and certainly not in LE's. Therefore present inflation in Egypt is back at 7%, though rural will be much higher. By the end of the year it will be 10% urban, so there is a clear additional EXTRA interest on the loans to add to the initial agreed interest rate, plus perhaps even a further devaluation of LE, and that will certainly throw the baby out of the pram, though loans will always be available for armed cars.

As I have written before on here, dear Madame Lagarde is no friend of the poor, even she has realised you can only push the poor so far,.........I hope she has learnt her lesson, though I fear not. Madame Chistine Lagarde is now President of the European Central Bank ( in other words the Deutsche Bundesbank) l am beginning to feel very sorry for the southern states of Italy, Spain, the whole of Greece and a few other nations in the EU.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

According to the World Bank.....

Egypt has implemented an economic reform program to stabilize the economy and address macroeconomic imbalances through the liberalization of the exchange rate, fiscal consolidation, and energy sector reforms. These measures have helped stimulate growth, generate a solid primary budget surplus, reduce the debt-to-GDP ratio, and replenish foreign reserves. Energy sector reforms have eliminated severe power shortages whilst incentivizing investments in renewables.

https://www.worldbank.org/en/country/egypt/overview

Or the World Economic Forum.....

Egypt is one of the Middle East’s most powerful transformation stories. Emerging from a difficult period in its history, the country’s performance has been aided by economic reforms, favourable demographics, and a stable inflation rate. Last year, Egypt’s GDP expanded by 5.6%.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/06/ ... -pandemic/

You can read similar reports on FT, Reuters etc.

Whether they represent fact or fiction I couldn’t say. My field is mathematics and astrophysics...not economics. Logic tells me that it’s unlikely that the strong economies of the world, their financial institutions and their economic gurus would be so stupid as to support and throw money at a lost cause.

But who knows?

When in doubt you can always consider the prognostications of our very own West Bank roadsweeper. :lol:
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Thanks for that Newcastle, nice to know that despite all the hardships suffered by the people of Egypt, renowned world economists hold out hope for the future.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:38 pm Thanks for that Newcastle, nice to know that despite all the hardships suffered by the people of Egypt, renowned world economists hold out hope for the future.
Some months ago I acquired and read “Enlightenment Now” by Steven Pinker. It is a dissertation on how better off we are now than in previous centuries...,and in every respect. It makes great reading and is an effective antidote to the purveyors of doom and gloom.

Pinker argues that economic inequality "is not itself a dimension of human wellbeing" and cites a study that finds inequality is not linked to unhappiness, at least in poorer societies. He also points out that the world as a whole is becoming more equal, and states that even within increasingly unequal areas, the poor are still getting wealth and benefit from technological innovations. For example, it is clear to Pinker that an innovation that makes the poor slightly richer and the rich massively richer is a positive rather than a negative achievement. In contrast, critics hold that enhancing social mobility and combating "inequality as a result of unfairness" are important legitimate ends in and of themselves, beyond any effects of reducing poverty.

As a frequent visitor to Egypt, including its rural areas, I am well aware of the contrast between the comforts enjoyed by the Western traveller and the average Egyptian. I have witnessed the vast disparity in wealth between affluent Cairenes and most Luxorians. Nevertheless, the poor of today’s Luxor are undoubtedly better off than they were 50 years ago....let alone in previous centuries.

That’s not to say that inequalities do not exist, or that there’s not substantial room for improvement but, as with societies worldwide, Egypt is inexorably moving towards better times for all its citizens.