The Doormen of Egypt

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

The Doormen of Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

The stories of the men who have guarded doorways of Egypt's city buildings for decades, but whose roles are changing.

From Cairo's narrow downtown streets and alleys to the affluent residential areas in the outer reaches of the city, nothing escapes the attention of the ever-vigilant doormen.

Sitting at the entrances of apartment blocks in Cairo and Alexandria - and often mindful of the chance to make a quick buck - the "bawabs" have been an integral part of the social fabric of Egypt's big cities for decades.

This Al Jazeera World documentary celebrates the men, their history, their job and their influence.

Of course, the bawabs are often much more than doormen. They are the all-seeing eyes and ears of the buildings they live and work in, observers of residents' "moral practices", as well as plumbers, electricians, security guards and keepers of personal secrets.

But today's doormen are disappearing. As a new wave of construction takes place in Cairo, Egyptian society is undergoing profound change. Many of today's doormen have become security guards, with smart blue uniforms replacing traditional galabeyas in what many see as the sad loss of a unique social group from Egypt's 20th century.

Source: https://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/al ... 23616.html

crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Re: The Doormen of Egypt

Post by crewmeal »

Yes I watched that, I thought it very interesting. I was surprised to find that many of the doormen were Nubians having come north from the Aswan area.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Re: The Doormen of Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

Yes, thanks for posting that Keefy. We watched it last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it here in our temporary exile.