Every cloud has a silver lining .....

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Every cloud has a silver lining .....

Post by newcastle »

Egypt’s death rate has fallen by 2.8 percent reaching 42,144 deaths this April compared to 43,303 in April 2019, the Egyptian Cabinet’s Information and Decision Support Center said in an infographic report on Sunday.

Regarding the coronavirus outbreak, the report said that “death rates due to coronavirus are still within the safe limits, compared to the other countries in spite of the increasing number of cases”.

Death rates in Cairo fell by 7.3 percent in April compared to last year even despite the outbreak, the report added.

Approximately 17 governorates including Cairo, Assiut, Damietta and Daqahliya witnessed declining death rates in April 2020 compared to April 2019.

The report’s data are based on Health Affairs Directorates across the country and a system of automating births and death.

https://www.egyptindependent.com/egypts ... his-april/

Perhaps I’m wrong but the obvious explanation is that, despite the additional deaths caused by the Coronavirus pandemic, it’s more than offset by the decrease in people dying on the roads....as a result of the lockdown!

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Every cloud has a silver lining .....

Post by carrie »

You very well might be right Newcastle, I have a walk up to the checkpoint for my exercise, pass no houses and no one else walking. I have noticed much less traffic on the road.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

At least they don't have care homes as such to worry about unlike Boris's latest cock up dealing with them.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

crewmeal wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:24 am At least they don't have care homes as such to worry about unlike Boris's latest cock up dealing with them.
I can tell you, as someone personally concerned with care homes and what they’re experiencing in the current environment, that the government claims regarding assistance, attention and - particularly - testing of staff and residents is complete BULLSH*T.

When I see the platitudes, and downright lies, trotted out by Boris and his minions in answer to questions about care homes, it makes my blood boil. :xx

Hopefully, in due course, there’ll be a comprehensive and public inquiry into the mismanagement of this pandemic.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

When I see the platitudes, and downright lies, trotted out by Boris and his minions in answer to questions about care homes, it makes my blood boil.
I totally agree Newcastle. Care homes were and always have been an after thought until recently when the press got wind of the amount of deaths caused by this virus. Then this useless lot had to do something and magic some figures to keep us quiet!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The problem is that care homes come in all shapes and sizes...some small and privately owned.....others large and run by local councils.

And to cap it all, they are regulated by the Care Quality Commission....which has been severely criticised by MPs in the past for its ineffectiveness.

The whole system needs overhauling but has been allowed to degenerate over the last decade of austerity.

It was barely fit for purpose before the COVID-19 pandemic. I think the government has been caught on the hop and seems unable to react decisively to the ongoing dilemma of care home deaths. You could be forgiven for wondering whether some jobsworth in strategic planning has decided that the deaths of the elderly and infirm don’t matter that much.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Well that makes sense lets cull the elderly and expensive members of society. (Irony for those who don't recognize it.)
My Aunt suffered from senile dementia and was in a care home for the last 7 years of her life.
3 times she was admitted to hospital with pneumonia each time tremendous care was given to her. Sometimes we used to think was that what she would have wanted to be returned to a life of uncertainty and fear. I think not.
The care givers in the home were wonderful though they did their best, with patience and love, to make her life as happy as possible.
They deserve all the support and gratitude we can give.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I have no argument with the staff of care homes. Undoubtedly they are doing their best in trying circumstances.

It’s the government which has let them down with insufficient attention to basics like adequate PPE and a sensible testing and isolation policy.

And yet, at every afternoon session of the ministers and experts, they continue to congratulate themselves on how well they’ve dealt with care homes. What planet are they living on?

More than a third of the coronavirus-related deaths in the UK have been among care home residents in England and Wales, according to figures from the Office for National Statistics.

There were 12,526 deaths among care home residents during March and April where COVID-19 was mentioned on the death certificate. This includes whether the disease was the underlying cause or not.

The Department of Health said on Thursday that 33,614 people have so far died from coronavirus in the UK.

There were 45,899 deaths of care home residents in March and April, meaning more than more a quarter were linked to coronavirus.

Among the more than 12,500 deaths, 9,039 (72%) occurred within a care home.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Every cloud has a silver lining .....a

Post by newcastle »

I thought Boris’t performance on PM Questions today plumbed new depths.

He still refuses to acknowledge that the Government has ignored the Care Home crisis for too long. He answered Sir Keir Starmers point that hospital patients were transferred to Care Homes without being tested by glibly pointing out the obvious....that they were released on advice from clinicians.

Give me strength!!! Of course they were. You need clearance when released from hospital under any circumstances. The point is....they weren’t tested for COVID 19 and consequently imported it into their Care Homes.

Then, on another question, Boris claimed the cost of exempting foreign NHS staff from paying for using the NHS would be £930,000,000. An outrageous lie!

That’s the cost of NHS services for ALL foreigners...OVER FOUR YEARS!

The cost of exempting foreign NHS staff would be £90,000,000 per annum.

Boris obviously thinks a Thursday round of applause is all they deserve.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

I'm just wondering if families were willing to care of their older 'loved ones' themselves, at home (instead of selfishly unloading them onto [under-]paid carers in whatever sort of residential place) they would really need to be there, and thereby be subject to almost unavoidable contamination from this, that or t'other?
Maybe Comrade Corbyn could put his vast mind to the problem, now that he's free from running (or should that be ruining?) the Labour Party? I'm sure that many members on here would welcome the chance to see good old Jeremy shine in a situation where the uneducated dunderhead Boris has messed up so badly.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Nice to hear from you Teddyboy.
I agree about people looking after their loved ones at home but sometimes it is just impossible.
My Aunt as I said before, went into a home because she had senile dementia. She was cared for at home for a long time by my mother her son and I. Eventually though it became impossible, she needed 24 hours care for her own safety.
Our only option was to have her admitted to a care home.
It was a difficult decision to make and very painful for us. I am sure that many people find themselves in the same position.
I will be for ever grateful to the staff there, they had endless patience and an unfailing sense of humor.
Many of them were paid a pittance and deserved much more.
Now the least the government can do is provide them with all equipment they need to keep them and their families safe.
I do believe that the government see the virus as a way of culling the population of the more unproductive members of society. Why else the constant lies.
As for Corbin taking a lead he has done enough damage, hopefully he will sink into obscurity.
As a life long Labour supporter, if in the UK I would have found it impossible to vote for him.
Boris or Jeremy, my vote would have been spoiled just to show my disgust with the pair of them.
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

Carrie wrote
"I agree about people looking after their loved ones at home but sometimes it is just impossible."
When I was a child in West Yorkshire, ALL the family lived in the same area - aunties, uncles, cousins, grandparents.
Sunday afternoons and Bank Holidays were always spent visiting - looking back they were the loveliest memories of my childhood. Nobody had cars, and there were no buses on Sundays but nobody thought anything of walking a couple of miles, sun, rain or snow. Absolutely nobody that I knew of lived in a Care Home.(I wouldnt have known what one was)
Then, I think it was in the 70's (?) Mobility of Labour changed our lives. For the good?
jcoote

Post by jcoote »

I don't know whether the government is telling lies, or is just totally oblivious as to what is really going on. I work in a dementia respite care home, and I can say that where I work acted very quickly in the earlier stages of the pandemic in following the advice we were given. The unit was quickly closed to new service users; so as service users returned home, we eventually came down to only having twelve service users staying with us. One of whom is an actual resident who has remained there since the facility was changed from being a residential home. We have also always had PPE throughout this pandemic up to now. At some point, we were put into a position where we had to take an emergency admission from the hospital, who it was later found out had actually got Covid-19. Unfortunately, we then ended up with all but one service user becoming Covid-19 positive, and subsequently, several of those people died. After that, we were assured that this wouldn't happen again, and that people coming to us from the hospital would be tested and negative when they come to us. Lo and behold, on Wednesday 6th May, we admitted someone from the hospital, and then on Thursday 7th May, the hospital rang to inform us that they had got the test results for this new person, and that person had in fact tested positive. Luckily, this person was put straight into 14 day isolation on arrival to us, as it had already been decided where I work, that regardless of what the hospital tells us, anyone coming to us from there was going to be put directly into 14 day isolation as a precaution.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I’d be interested to know whether the staff and residents have been, or are to be, tested for COVID-19.
jcoote

Post by jcoote »

I can't answer that precisely at the moment as I have been on holiday from work for almost two weeks now. In fact, my last day was the same day they found out that our new arrival was Covid-19 positive. At that time, it was mostly staff who were symptomatic that were tested, some of whom were positive, and one of whom was admitted to hospital. Shortly before my holiday, we had been told that our manager could apply for any of us to get tested, symptoms or not. When we had the outbreak amongst service users, they were all tested, which is how we knew how many of them actually had it. As said, those sent to us from hospital are supposed to be tested and clear now, but that had already proved to be unreliable. I will know more when I return to work next Monday.
jcoote

Post by jcoote »

So,just a quick update for newcastle. Back in work today. The service user who we were informed had Covid-19 after her arrival is now Covid negative. However, we have since been sent three new admissions form the hospital whilst I have been on holiday, and apparently they were sent to us with Covid-19 positive status, which I am told was advised to us prior to their arrival.