Captain Tom

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Captain Tom

Post by hatusu »

Nothing to do with Luxor I know but can we still give a mention to Captain Tom Moore, a WWII hero , and now a hero all over again. He will be 100 yrs old later this month, and set out to raise £1000 for the NHS by asking to be sponsored for walking the length of his garden with his zimmer frame 100 times before his big birthday. At the moment he just has 10 more laps to do – and the current total raised is £8 MILLION and still rising!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: Captain Tom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

:a4: :a4: :a4:
Total inspiration.
I just hope that when the money is in whichever NHS pot, that it is spent wisely.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

Just read the breaking news - He's done it, and he had a Guard of Honour for his last 10 laps with soldiers from the Yorkshire Regiment saluting him. The total now is over £12 million. (Im crying while Im typing this ..........)
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

It is flabbergasting the amount of money that has been raised. Yet even with all that money raised, and having completed his own challenge to himself, at 99 years young he is going to continue.

I must admit, when I saw the news this morning, I had to use a precious tissue or two too.

It is his 100th birthday at the end of the month and there is now a call for people to send him birthday cards - a special Post Office address has been set up. I can't help but think he's going to spend the next year opening post.
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:03 pm
:a66:

newcastle, it's not often you are lost for words. :a21:

:a50:
-Aldous Huxley
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

At last Colonel Tom Has been recognised And rewarded for his achievement and has be given a knighthood. This makes a change from reading about political advisors And cronies receiving knighthoods for doing absolutely nothing. I wouldn’t be surprised if HM had a hand in this.

A well deserved honour!
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

What wonderful news. Sir Tom I salute you.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

There was a petition going on to 'demand' that he be knighted. I'm not sure that is the right way to go about things but it did show the general feeling of the public.

I always end up with mixed feelings about situations like this. There are thousands of people around the country who raise money, and often quite large sums of money, for various charities and causes, but seldom get recognition for what they have achieved. This gentleman was able to gain the interest and support of the nation and beyond at a time when everyone needed positive news to grab on to and an inspiration to follow. That is not a bad thing, and he certainly was, and is, an inspiration to many. I do think though that he is just a representative of many who are unsung heroes for causes great and small.

I do hope that when it comes to his actual investiture, there will be some way in which it is the queen that can bestow the medal to him. It would seem appropriate that two people of the same generation, both who have served the country in their different ways - although one serving King and then Queen, too - would be able to share the experience of this particular honour.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Presumably it’s a KBE he’s been awarded. It’s possible the Queen put in a word for him....but more likely Boris riding the wave of public approval. Not like him to pass up such an opportunity.

I think investitures have been suspended while the virus rages but expect he’ll be allocated to the dwindling list of of those knighted by HM in person.....in due course.

I was puzzled by his TV appearance suggesting - in jest no doubt - that he might have difficulty in rising from a blended knee. Quite a few paraplegics have been knighted...I expect HM will cope.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

I was puzzled by his TV appearance suggesting - in jest no doubt - that he might have difficulty in rising from a blended knee. Quite a few paraplegics have been knighted...I expect HM will cope.
I seem to recall Maggie Smith saying the same thing when she curtsied in front of King George V in the Downtown movie :lol: :lol: :lol:
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

"I seem to recall Maggie Smith saying the same thing when she curtsied in front of King George V in the Downtown movie.
He must have been very old that's King George,
All the George's in our happy family and Mrs' Queens 'happy family (The Firm) have been slightly touched.
It's a common thing amongst us George's, my great grandad's Dad used to touch people for money.
It's the blu blood what does it!

Scrofula to give it's correct title, Iv'd had the touch for years, hence the loosley used term Dr...
Anyhow, King George 3rd the mad one wasn't really mad, consider trying to make sense of your common
or garden Londonders ! even today we are surrounded by idiots this new covidcrapidiots, the plebs,
once called the London Mob.....it's far worse in Essex probably..ex east-enders...qed!
Mind you! One cannot have riots what with all the pubs being closed, an essential element of any good riot.. 8)
We know a thing or two about riots around here.....

stylist: Simona model: me.

Ps: People should stop calling him Captain he's a ruddy Major now...jeezus..
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 3:58 pm

Ps: People should stop calling him Captain he's a ruddy Major now...jeezus..
No he’s not. He was made an Honorary Colonel of the Army Foundation College on his 100th birthday.

Perhaps you’re confusing him with Major Thom of Cyprus.

P.S. Lovely pink Christmas tree. Are you applying for the position of Queen George? :P
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Ok! Then he's a Colonel so why does the ruddy media keep calling him Capt.
Honorary or not. If they used his new title I would not have been confused.
Xmas tree is from Grayson and Simona say's the cat likes it... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.