Who wants to be in Cyprus?

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Who wants to be in Cyprus?

Post by crewmeal »

I've just taken this from a site. MT take note:
Here in Cyprus we are now in total lockdown from 9pm to 6am
You are only allowed out of your home once per day and MUST request permission by text message before you leave home. You must carry your passport and proof that you have permission with you.
You are NOT allowed in anyone else’s house and all shops including supermarkets etc will now be closed on Sundays
If you break any of these rules you will receive an on the spot fine of €300

These restrictions come into force tomorrow and are because people just DID NOT LISTEN!! And continued to do whatever they wanted

UPDATE: I’ve been asked a few questions so to clarify
We are allowed to walk our dogs in the vicinity of our own home without text permission but must carry ID and this will be stopped if people take advantage
Visiting the doctor, pharmacy, dentist (only emergency appointments available) and vets (emergency only) does not count to your one outing per day.
If you are caught out without permission you are issued with a €300 fine and hundreds of these have already been issued

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Who wants to be in Cyprus?

Post by carrie »

Seen this before perhaps that's why we haven't heard from MT for some days. He's confined to barracks.
Why oh why cant people obey the rules not just in Cyprus but reports that police had to clear the beaches in Brighton this weekend because so many were out enjoying the sunny weather.
Stupid selfish folk.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

The information about how the government of Cyprus are trying to deal with Corvid-19 and the population has been posted before in another thread. I could be wrong, but I think it may have been updated since.

Even with the stringent rules, fines etc. I am given to understand that there has been an increase in thefts from cars in parts of Cyprus recently. Also, that supermarkets and local stores are experiencing break-ins.
Sadly, I believe that cases of Corvid-19 are rising too.

Cyprus it seems, is no safer or better off than the rest of the world.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Crewmeal, I think that post was penned by MT, transformation by Mrs MT..
'the clue lies within the 2nd sentence....perhaps ?... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:06 pm Crewmeal, I think that post was penned by MT, transformation by Mrs MT..
Well done Sherlock....the correct spelling, grammar, syntax and general clarity is a bit of a giveaway. :lol:
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I knew I had seen it before, Kerry Lomas posted this on a site called corana virus turkey, on the 30th March.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

You are quite right it was me who penned this. For two days now the infections have dropped and the deaths are down to 1 or 2 per day. No results were going to be know instantly because incubation is between 2 to 14 days. Our government are now thinking of extending the curfew and regulations until the end of April, and good for them if they do. Because families are visiting families in other parts of the Country, there are both the Police and Civil Guard everywhere, asking where they are going, looking at their permissions to leave home, and checking what time they leave home, the leaving time has to be put on the form. They take the reg numbers of the car and keep an eye out. We have had Helicopters and I think drones flying all over filming. The law says when self isolating only the people that live under the address roof are allowed, NO ONE ELSE. I am quite happy with the situation to be honest, and if it went on for a year it would not bother me. There are no no infections at the moment within 35 miles from our village. However shop break in's have doubled in a week. Also people around Cyprus have got so used to not having to lock their cars at night, now they have to, locking them sets the vehicle alarm. Yes restrictions are tight, but if thats what it takes to rid the virus so be it. Our medical front liners get tested every day before they start work. If you have been shopping and get stipped be prepared to tell why you have beer and wine, they are not considered essential and will be confiscated. Now you are only allowed by permission to be out 2 hours, you have to be back in your home within them hours.
But like I say, after 9 days, the infections have almost halved and deaths too, so to me its all worth while.
So in answer to the original post, I DO! The other good thing of course is no one is allowed in (Tourists) so keeping us safe. You may think you are safe but you never know nowadays, and by that I mean everywhere.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Your post Carrie suggest you are in the UK, it must be horrible there because everything seems to be advisory and depends on people following the advice. Stay safe!
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Your post Carrie suggest you are in the UK, it must be horrible there because everything seems to be advisory and depends on people following the advice. Stay safe!
I'm in the UK and no it's not horrible living here, it's no worse than anywhere else. We can still get all the food we need and if we run out of toilet paper then there is always the DM. MT I hope you haven't been fined for flaunting the Cyproit rules.

The good folk of Luxor seem to be managing quite well despite some of the restrictions imposed which are similar to Cyprus.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Major Thom wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:07 pm You are quite right it was me who penned this.
Pull the other one! :lol:

Three inches of comprehensible print without any obvious spelling or grammar howlers?

No way José.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Like I said, it was Mrs MT, anyhow my luxor contact tells me 'crime is on the rise over there,, 8)
What about these so called 13000 UK repatriations from Egypt recently ?
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I think Dr repatriation flights, (The last ones) from Egypt take place this weekend. The President here has now confirmed the Cyprus lockdown is extended until end of April when it will be reviewed again. Just at the moment though our infections and deaths have come down dramatically, and apart from Malta we now have the lowest rates.
Many now that have had their €500 fines are now realizing the seriousness and meaning of the lockdown. Its so peaceful and quiet here its just as I like it, we are out in he garden everyday and also in the pool, so all in all its not effecting us.
I did hear that the lockdown curfew (If you can call it that) has been lifted by 1 hour per day in Luxor, but have not been on Skype to get that verified.
Yes Crime is on the rise here, but from the coming weekend the National Guard will now be present in every village, remote or not, so they are covering that. The main culprits seem to be refugees, Russians and Eastern Europeans. I will be on Skype this afternoon to catch up with the happenings in Luxor. At present I keep abreast of things via Al Aram, Streets of Egypt, and Luxor Potal, but I am Cynical to some of the stories about the amount of infections and deaths, so what they say I have a tendancy to take with a pinch of salt.
My only time from home is once a week with Mrs MT to help her with the essential shopping. I have moved the equipment from the Responders HQ to a spare room at home so I can sanatize it every second day, without leaving home.
I don't think there is a Country at all free from the virus, its just some Countries have better and far more facilities to treat victims. I can well imagine the UK will look after its NHS more following the end of lockdown and rightly so. I did quickly see about the 13000 repatriation taking part from Egypt, but is there that many people there, or are they asking people to leave? 13000 seems a lot of UK citizens! I believe UK deaths now have reached over 9000, terrible!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

“At present I keep abreast of things via Al Aram, Streets of Egypt, and Luxor Potal”

I wouldn’t if I were you. They look suspiciously like scam fakes of those well- known news outlets :

Al Ahram.....Egyptian Streets.....Luxor Portal

Goodness knows what crap you’re imbibing. :lol:
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Thank you newcastle, I can now no longer delay cleaning my laptop. Fresh cup of coffee also to be made.
-Aldous Huxley
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Well, there’s quite a difference between 9000 and 7248 deaths, MT - as of 30minutes ago!
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Major Thom wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:01 am I think Dr repatriation flights, (The last ones) from Egypt take place this weekend.
Oh! I hadn't read that they were repatriating doctors. Does it matter what subject your doctorate is in?
:a21:

On a more serious note, as of yesterday, there were still places available on the UK repatriation flight (see post in Visiting Luxor for more information). I just hope that all who want or need to leave Egypt are able to safely do so while this opportunity is there for them.
For many, the concerns about the logistics of getting to Cairo, and the health risks of doing that, flying in close proximity to others, and then the onward journeys once back in the UK, is just too daunting - and understandably so.
-Aldous Huxley
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I also read this Forum Newcastle!!!! Just replying to your last post
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

So you see Newcastle MT is terribly well informed.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:04 am So you see Newcastle MT is terribly well informed.
I hope he can’t read minds... ;)
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Well there are quite a few ex pats that would not fit in here in Cyprus let me tell you. Its a very different world here and many would end up back home......IN COVENTRY.....Why do I say this? Well most of the ex pats here do not get into other peoples business for a start, if you start calling people you will get cast aside and have no friends, if you gossip about anyone and are in company your company will just get up and walk away, its not acceptable here. Finally if you think you are in a clique here then think again what you think will be wrong, cliques are only acceptable in families. The village I live in people help each other, people value each other, people do not ridicule each other in any form, if you upset the apple cart it will be time for you to move. People if they have any form of disagreement talk about it among themselves in private and not for everyone in the room or even dare I say on a mini bus to listen into so others can get involved. That is ignorant, arogant and moronlike. You see my memory for my age is still not bad.