New Hurghada Museum

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

New Hurghada Museum

Post by newcastle »

The new museum in Hurghada has finally opened.

I’ll be having a look next month and will report back. In the meantime, the under mentioned link has many pics of the exhibits.

Underwhelming?

Also :

denisegr
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: New Hurghada Museum

Post by denisegr »

I'm off to hurghada on Wednesday, plan to visit the museum so will report back
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles,
but it does ruin today's happiness.
-anonymous
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Recent information I am hearing, whether true or not, I am unsure but, it seems this set up is a joint enterprise by a entrepreneur and the Egyptian government antiquities department. The business man has spent $10 million on building the museum, which includes separate retail outlets etc. It is the first time such a venture has been tried in Egypt.

The only problem I see with such an idea, is that both sections of this agreement will require a good profit return, therefore I expect a high entrance charge to simply look at a mish-mash of a collection of antiquities throughout the history of Egypt.

With regards to the travelling Tut show which is presently at the Saatchi, the entrance fee at 'busy' times is £37 per person. The Egyptian government has made it clear it requires its profit paid long before the Saatchi takes its rake. Even then if the Saatchi makes additional unexpected profit, then the Egyptian government will take a further rake of the profit.

When it comes to the 'novelty' shop at the Saatchi, it's full of expensive cheap tack, for example, another character on the rake is our old friend Hawass, who's colour photograph book will set you back £50. I feel sure the Hurgarda experiment will have learnt a lot from London.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Courtesy of Wikileaks.......

Unlike many museums in Egypt, the construction Hurghada Museum was entirely funded by the private sector although profit is intended to be shared between the latter and the Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities. The management and administration of the newly built space, which cost up to 185 m EGP (almost 12 million US), will however be entirely left up to governmental officials under the ministry’s supervision.

Tickets for foreigners are set are 200 EGP (12.80 US$) and 100 (6.40 US) for foreign students. As for tickets for Egyptian nationals, they’re set at 80 EGP (5.12 US) and 40 (2.5 US) for students.

https://egyptianstreets.com/2020/03/01/ ... ollection/
denisegr
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by denisegr »

I visited last week, the ground floor of the main building has shops selling the usual touristy stuff, staff were very helpful the next floor has the exhibits, some beautiful pieces on show from the earliest times right to I think was the 1900s. It not massive much smaller than expected but I did enjoy it.
Many things advertised aren't complete yet ie children's area, cafe etc so did feel a little cheated but I would return again, there seemed a lot of room for growth on the site.
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles,
but it does ruin today's happiness.
-anonymous